• B

• C

• D

• E

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully the past two games haven’t brought back the awful mentality we’ve grown to expect for the past decade or so. I have a sneaky suspicion it has and envisage a tough game on Monday, hopefully Dilva can get them going.

Still didn't win though. How mny times under the afore mentioned managers did we bemoan or luck. We may have re-invented history now to say that we always knew that we were second best, but at the time we used the same excuses as i'm hearing now. Silva appears to be maintaining the Everton tradition - don't win away to these teams and never, ever beat the RS. When he wins one of these games i'll shut the **** up. Until then...…………..
To be fair mate I think in previous years we've mostly bemoaned the shocking tactics more than anything. Defeated before we had kicked a ball with knife to a gunfight. Martinez was the closest we've been to actually competing but we were always so fragile at the back once he got into the squad and the moyes defensive solidity faded.

Theres always been an element of bad luck with us against the top clubs but especially the rs. Considering silva has not even been here 6 months and hes getting the tactics right against clubs like the rs, we are coming away being disappointed not because we lost, but because we could have won, it's a different ball game imo. Given time I think theres enough reason to hope our luck will change and we will start getting 3 points fairly regularly away to the leading clubs.

Moyes, Martinez, Koeman, Allardyce - unable to win away to the 'traditional top six'. Silva - drew at Chelsea, lost to Man U, Arsenal & the RS. Anyone see a pattern forming here?

Yes defo a pattern of lack of money compared to those big spenders. It's similar to the likes of Cardiff coming to Goodison. We expect to win and usually do Cardiff don't expect to win and don't. I know it is a bad record but until we are on even keel with those then the odds continue to be stacked against us. We are not and haven't been on a similar level to them since the 80's. Like a mini racing a Ferrari....the mini will never win unless the Ferrari breaks down.

To be fair mate I think in previous years we've mostly bemoaned the shocking tactics more than anything. Defeated before we had kicked a ball with knife to a gunfight. Martinez was the closest we've been to actually competing but we were always so fragile at the back once he got into the squad and the moyes defensive solidity faded.

Said that before a 2-0 away win at City after 18 months without a signing tbf.

Regarding 'fine margins' that have been mentioned within this thread.
Correct me if I'm wrong, we have yet to win a game that we've been behind in?

Huddersfield -H (1)
West Ham - H (0)
Arsenal - A (0)
United - A (0)
Liverpool -A (0)
Newcastle - H (1)

Southhampton (Cup) - H (Knocked out)

We don't seem capable of chasing results.

I may also be wrong on this but we haven't lost a game we've lead/not went behind in.

Wolves - A (1)
Bournmouth - A (1)
Fulham - H (3)
Leicester - A (3)
Palace - H (3)
Brighton - H (3)
Chelsea - A (1)
Cardiff - H (3)

Rotherham (Cup) - H (Win)

There's a pattern
That said I'm more then happy with Silva :)

Still didn't win though. How mny times under the afore mentioned managers did we bemoan or luck. We may have re-invented history now to say that we always knew that we were second best, but at the time we used the same excuses as i'm hearing now. Silva appears to be maintaining the Everton tradition - don't win away to these teams and never, ever beat the RS. When he wins one of these games i'll shut the **** up. Until then...…………..

The question you have to ask yourself is in all the failed attempts at the big clubs how many times did we actually attempt to win? If you don't attempt to win you more than likely won't. If you attempt to win then still unlikely to win but you have opened up to having a better chance

I think we have been a bit unlucky with the points total. There not been a game so far in my opinion where I’ve thought we got away with that but there have been a fair few games were we deserved more. Add that to the fact I’ve not seen a game we’re weve been dominated this season. The top teams away have had a couple of 10/15 min spells on top which you would expect. I also think if Mina would have started the season playing we would have been right in the mix now. Not 10 points adrift which is unfortunate. Last season we were stealing points. Let’s keep the feel good factor going. I’ve got faith in this squad.

I think we have been a bit unlucky with the points total. There not been a game so far in my opinion where I’ve thought we got away with that but there have been a fair few games were we deserved more. Add that to the fact I’ve not seen a game we’re weve been dominated this season. The top teams away have had a couple of 10/15 min spells on top which you would expect. I also think if Mina would have started the season playing we would have been right in the mix now. Not 10 points adrift which is unfortunate. Last season we were stealing points. Let’s keep the feel good factor going. I’ve got faith in this squad.

Exactly, this season was rebuilding, all the performances have been good this season bar a couple of blips early on. I mean once we've had our best team out the last two months or so we've been very good, we've just been very very poor in the final third.

To be a good team though you have to start with that base at the back and at the start of the season we didn't have that, but again, we were playing with backup options in defence and midfield.

We'll finish top 7 regardless this season, but it's the performances which have made us believe. We've been ruined with horrific officiating this season, it's been the difference in us not being on the tails of the top 5, and that's not me being biased. But by the summer we'll have hopefully got more attacking power that will blow away the effect of those bad decisions and then we can start making statements with results.

The new management team has been in place for one half of a season, the recognised first 11 have only had about 6 games together, yet people are taking about them carrying on a tradition? Ye Gods, the majority of people on here are so bi-polar it is scary, swinging from euphoria to despair on a game by game basis. I dread to think what will happen if Gomes hits a poor streak, if he thought Barca fans were bad, wait until he sees us turn gangster :(

Despite what we all may want, despite past suffering and humiliations, we Simply have to accept that this season is a top 7 or top 8 finish. Anybody expecting more is simply deluded because if we have one key injury we are screwed! I am satisfied with the improvement in football on display, I do not expect to start beating the Mancs the RS or Chelsea / arsenal away from home for another two or three windows. Like it or not guys we do have to give it time to evolve, we mustn’t turn into a lynch mob every time we have a defeat or a poor game!

..amazing the different feel around the club but Allardyce got us to 27 points on Boxing Day last season. I know what matters is improved performance and the points total at the end of the season but it’s an interesting comparison.

That was a high point for Allardyce though wasn't it? The hope has to be we kick post Boxing day this season and this is a bit of a low water mark. I'd also say, given our next 4 fixtures, I'd be disappointed if we weren't higher than 27 on boxing day.

Fine margins

I agree the intent is there but the results are not. We’ve not scored in open play yet.

I think everyone has had the better of the first half against Arsenal. They’ve not been in front at half time yet and have quite often been behind. Poor offside decision but still nil in our goals total.
United was an even contest but they got the opening goal. I never felt like we were winning it but getting in front was key. We didn’t.
We should have (the most used phrase against top teams) got in front against the Miseries but we didn’t. An undeserved, ridiculous ending but coming away with nothing seem strangely familiar.
At Chelsea we clearly set up tactically for a draw. No problem with that as it was as clear as a pikestaff that we went there with that intention. It was brilliantly executed. That’s intent achieving the aimed the result.

The good news is it feels like a newish team with a new manager trying to implement a new approach. We’ve had problems against teams at the other end like Huddersfield and Newcastle too.

Plenty of tweaking to be done against all teams in the league. It’s only 15 games into a long project. We haven’t really clicked into a consistent pattern of play yet.

Hard to see us turning around our woeful results against the top teams without a goal scorer though.

It’s all baby steps at the moment. People who say ‘huge strides have been made’ are way off. I would like to see us kick on a bit in the second half of the season as Silva’s plans and style finally sink in and the machine becomes well-oiled.

Still I wouldn’t mind a bit of jam today - don’t we all?!

They were all poor.

Digne has been brilliant, he was dreadful the other day.

Lookman has been on good form from the bench. He was pretty useless the other day. Gomes is great, but even he couldn't find a pinpoint pass. It happens.

Lookman has never once played as a central striker so I don't know why this is suddenly an idea for a game against a Rafael Benitez side that just kicked lumps out of us? Maybe he could do a job but starting there?

I get the point that he would be a threat centrally and I do prefer him left with more licence to drift in, which is why I say maybe he isn't the answer instead of Walcott? Maybe it has to be him alternative with Bernard for now.

Silva's system relies on Richarlison - or that type of player (which for now, we only have Rico) to play as a striker. They have strength, height, athleticism and skill. It gives us a load of options.

Had Rico started centrally the other day, I'd wager Lookman would have had more joy because there'd be more space for him to move into.
At a real difficult point in the road in all this transitioning stuff.
Instead of decent mid table sides going toe to toe its more like they'll play the deep counter - unless we score first.
We can probably only rely on the top 6 to go at us, which means fewer games to play to our strengths.
(Watford at home probably being an exception given the circumstances)
Are we going to start being a better away side than at home?

So its a real challenge for Silva. How much does he change/tweak from his favoured approach?
And how much will this unsettle the project?

On Digne I think your being harsh. What was being expected of him was ridiculous.
The space for Newcastle to counter was on the left in behind him.
He was busting his guts up and down the pitch.
He was expected to do all things in attack, be Lookman on the left one moment, then Coleman, then Gomes.
Run back in defence, come back and get on the end of a poor overlapping pass. There was one pass from Bernard near the end that bordered on the obscene.
In the second half the left couldn't get into a rhythm of good combination play in all that space because they were getting purposefully fouled. Its a snide, effective tactic use to advantage in the lateral space which if it had been vertical would have probably been reds.
So kicked, run into the ground, poor support around him and losing the ball not really an option.
He was rendered to playing to Gomes or crossing.
And while he's getting criticism for his crosses, the movement/set up to receive them was much worse, clueless at times.
It looked like he actually sent in a cross as a message, just telling em what should be going on...then followed it up with a stinker himself.
The way they were set up they would've been lucky to score 1 in 50.
If your sending in that many crosses you have to use the near and far posts, go less direct, start to open them up.
There were a few poor ones but overall he's only as good as the movement in front of him.
The same can be said for Lookman and Gomes play.

On Richarlison, you say Silva relies on his strength and skill.
But does he really have the strength of an athletic CF in this league.
He's getting pushed off or going to ground with contact from defenders.
At first I was applauding the snide in him to get free kicks.
But the amount of times he's going down when a pass would have been a far far better option is being racked up.
Keeping the ball alive has been critical, such wasted opportunities.
Their a skill in this too, often overlooked. He's going to need to find this and harden up if its onwards an upwards.
A well timed reaction from d support might help things along.
He's no doubt a good player but he's a bit lost at the moment, partly because he's needs to start adapting and answering questions he probably hasn't had to before.
Difficult times ahead for Silva and the lads. COYB!

That was a high point for Allardyce though wasn't it? The hope has to be we kick post Boxing day this season and this is a bit of a low water mark. I'd also say, given our next 4 fixtures, I'd be disappointed if we weren't higher than 27 on boxing day.
Allardyce had amassed 25 points after being in charge for 17 games, if we beat Watford tomorrow then Silva will have 26 points after 16 games with man city to play after that, if we don't beat Watford tomorrow then it's likely he will fall short of Allardyces 25 points, whatever the result tomorrow overall results wise there really hasn't been much difference between them so far, the interesting thing for me is the reaction and difference of opinion of supporters between the two managers.

..yep, I remember posting at the time that Allardyce ‘worked miracles’ getting us to that total on Boxing Day. I stand by that as it was a remarkable transformation from Southampton away. I think you’re right, though, it wasn’t progressive from that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.