2020/21 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
CONCEDE TO PROCEED MARCEL FFS

edit - forgot it was Bank Holiday, no doubt Marcel's enjoying the time off, probably used four days of leave to extend the break too the little snide

Last edited:
Carlo's book is an interesting read.
In it he talks about all aspects of his football career as player and manager.l
Above all what comes scrips is his willingness to work with almost any management structure within a club.
Especially with a D of F or Sporting Director since he's always had one. He's also never been super involved in transfers anywhere and worked under some of the most dictatorial Sporting Directors in world football. He wants a D of F.

A big summer awaits for Everton on the back of a disappointing 10th-placed finish in the Premier League as they look to close the gap on their rivals and push for a spot inside the European places. The Blues' success in doing so could depend on the quality of players the club sign, with it being made apparent that the longer the campaign progressed, the squad lacked the quality or depth needed to sustain a legitimate charge towards the top-six. But whilst there might be a general consensus amongst Everton fans that there should be a noticeable improvement in terms of both results and performances next season, once Carlo Ancelotti has had the opportunity to bring in the players he wants, there’s an argument to say that recruiting for this Everton side isn’t easy. That was one of the topics in this week’s Analysing Everton in which David Hughes and Josh Williams tried to work out how the club might approach transfers this summer.

“Recruiting for this Everton side isn’t easy, because there isn’t currently a philosophy,” believes Hughes.
“Last season, Everton played 4-3-3 nine times, 4-2-3-1 eight times, 4-4-2 seven times, 4-3-1-2 four times, and then one or two other formations. That’s a lot of changes. So what are Everton going to do this summer?”
“People say buy better players, but it’s hard to identify those players without having a set philosophy or even structure to your play.”

This season, Ancelotti has regularly rotated his Everton side, sometimes through injuries, but other times in order to nullify the opposition. The same has tended to prove a successful tactic against the division’s top sides, with notable wins against Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham and Arsenal. However against the lesser sides at home, when the emphasis was on the Blues to break them down, they struggled. This fluctuating from one strategy to the next has made it tough to distinguish a particular style or identity associated with Ancelotti’s team.

“What are Everton going to do, just buy perceived better players, put them on the pitch and then just hope they can make stuff happen?" asked Hughes.
"It’s not the best-structured plan and for those reasons, I think it’ll be hard for the club to land the right players and build around them."

Marcel Brands will, of course, be another key decision-maker when it comes to buying and selling in the market, yet he will once more add another slant to the conundrum given his favour to recruit prospects for the future, as opposed to players perhaps already in their prime years. It’ll be an interesting summer at the club, but one that they need to get right if they’re to improve on their underwhelming finish in the campaign just gone.

A big summer awaits for Everton on the back of a disappointing 10th-placed finish in the Premier League as they look to close the gap on their rivals and push for a spot inside the European places. The Blues' success in doing so could depend on the quality of players the club sign, with it being made apparent that the longer the campaign progressed, the squad lacked the quality or depth needed to sustain a legitimate charge towards the top-six. But whilst there might be a general consensus amongst Everton fans that there should be a noticeable improvement in terms of both results and performances next season, once Carlo Ancelotti has had the opportunity to bring in the players he wants, there’s an argument to say that recruiting for this Everton side isn’t easy. That was one of the topics in this week’s Analysing Everton in which David Hughes and Josh Williams tried to work out how the club might approach transfers this summer.

“Recruiting for this Everton side isn’t easy, because there isn’t currently a philosophy,” believes Hughes.
“Last season, Everton played 4-3-3 nine times, 4-2-3-1 eight times, 4-4-2 seven times, 4-3-1-2 four times, and then one or two other formations. That’s a lot of changes. So what are Everton going to do this summer?”
“People say buy better players, but it’s hard to identify those players without having a set philosophy or even structure to your play.”

This season, Ancelotti has regularly rotated his Everton side, sometimes through injuries, but other times in order to nullify the opposition. The same has tended to prove a successful tactic against the division’s top sides, with notable wins against Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham and Arsenal. However against the lesser sides at home, when the emphasis was on the Blues to break them down, they struggled. This fluctuating from one strategy to the next has made it tough to distinguish a particular style or identity associated with Ancelotti’s team.

“What are Everton going to do, just buy perceived better players, put them on the pitch and then just hope they can make stuff happen?" asked Hughes.
"It’s not the best-structured plan and for those reasons, I think it’ll be hard for the club to land the right players and build around them."

Marcel Brands will, of course, be another key decision-maker when it comes to buying and selling in the market, yet he will once more add another slant to the conundrum given his favour to recruit prospects for the future, as opposed to players perhaps already in their prime years. It’ll be an interesting summer at the club, but one that they need to get right if they’re to improve on their underwhelming finish in the campaign just gone.

The Carlo-Marcel relationship just doesn't seem to be there really. Almost like they maybe both have different ideas for the team philosophy, but even still, Brands should be implementing it from youth level and since he's been here we've had no youth players break through to be a squad member. Obviously it requires us to have talented youths but the fact the first team has been as bad as it has been and very few seem to be knocking on the door is a worry.

The Carlo-Marcel relationship just doesn't seem to be there really. Almost like they maybe both have different ideas for the team philosophy, but even still, Brands should be implementing it from youth level and since he's been here we've had no youth players break through to be a squad member. Obviously it requires us to have talented youths but the fact the first team has been as bad as it has been and very few seem to be knocking on the door is a worry.
I think the policy has changed with the U23 side. The age has been brought down and u18 players accelerated.

It will make a difference.

I think they are also being a bit more decisive in shipping U23 players that aren’t going to make it.

The next challenge is getting opportunities for youngsters to get first team experience.

I think the policy has changed with the U23 side. The age has been brought down and u18 players accelerated.

It will make a difference.

I think they are also being a bit more decisive in shipping U23 players that aren’t going to make it.

The next challenge is getting opportunities for youngsters to get first team experience.

He's been here 3 years mate, why's this only starting now? I really want Brands and this DoF model to be a success but he's been way below average so far - a bit surprised he was offered an extension tbh.

He's been here 3 years mate, why's this only starting now? I really want Brands and this DoF model to be a success but he's been way below average so far - a bit surprised he was offered an extension tbh.
You could make a case fo re organising the youth team setup earlier. but igg tv had been winning.

I can’t really see any major changes in the first season or two while the system is assessed. DoF is a long term role. I guess the next period is when we start to judge.

You could make a case fo re organising the youth team setup earlier. but igg tv had been winning.

I can’t really see any major changes in the first season or two while the system is assessed. DoF is a long term role. I guess the next period is when we start to judge.

Fair, I think you'd be hard pressed to name things that are different now to when Steve Walsh was here. Not spending big on a bunch on number 10's might be the only thing I can come up with, without knowing what goes on behind the scenes. Perhaps also decreasing average age of U23's.

Fair, I think you'd be hard pressed to name things that are different now to when Steve Walsh was here. Not spending big on a bunch on number 10's might be the only thing I can come up with, without knowing what goes on behind the scenes. Perhaps also decreasing average age of U23's.
To be honest I’m not defending or attacking Brands management of the academy setup. I don’t know enough about the players we have.

There seem to be a few that they are pleased with so I’ll reserve judgement until they play.

The most successful DoF models work because the DoF employs the head coaches vision throughout the whole footballing set up, currently we have no vision, no style of play and no plan it seems.

Hard to implement something that doesn't exist.

The most successful DoF models work because the DoF employs the head coaches vision throughout the whole footballing set up, currently we have no vision, no style of play and no plan it seems.

Hard to implement something that doesn't exist.
I think we can’t implement a style with the squad we have. For significant parts of this season, we barely had 11players fit.

More personnel changes required to start seeing a style of play.

23rd May 2018 - Brands' stated plan for the club on joining:

"I think it is important that he [the manager] wants to work in the new philosophy, the new strategy of how we want to work with a Director of Football. I think it is important that he creates the environment for the long-term, and I think it is important that he is a modern coach. If you think about what Everton’s plans are, I think a modern coach will fit into that profile.

"Then his philosophy and how he wants to play is important. I think it has to be a coach who wants to work with young players.

"I have watched several Everton games and I have looked at the players. I also saw some who were on loan to other clubs but if we are going to take decisions about players it is important the manager is involved because he is going to work with them every day.

"I will take care of the long-term strategy but the first job now is to find a manager as soon as possible and straight away go to work with the squad.
"

Can anyone say they think that plan has worked out or is in the process of working itself out?

He's a hologram, not a man who lays down "the new philosophy". The long term strategy he spoke of remains a pipe dream. We're no further forward in having a new identity than we were when Allardyce was sacked.

Brands has to answer for those fundamental failures in the task he set himself.

Did they give him the new contract after he replaced Kean with King or before?

Status
Not open for further replies.