2020/21 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be St Maximin in the summer for me. Ticks those boxes.

Hmm, personally think he's a bit flash in the pan mate - watched him a fair bit in France, but definitely a player in that mould.

Raphinia - another excellent player, and no I'm not watching the Leeds game, just seen the Leicester opener, but just love to watch that lad. Powerful, skillful runner - bought for £18m and already has created more goals and scored more in 15 league games than Iwobi has in the last season and a half for us. We rely so much on one player to do it and he's playing badly at the moment. Iwobi is so inconsistent.

I keep repeating it but there's no way anybody can look at Brands' attempts to build the squad and say he's done a good job. He simply hasn't. That's not to say there isn't caveats or that he hasn't done a good job in other areas of the club, though.

Last edited:
Again, my point entirely. Of course a current Bosnian international can be moved out on loan easily - selling him would be the mark of a decent DoF.
Its very hard to get someone to accept a huge drop in wages regardless of how good a Dof you are... we messed up massively in previous windows by paying new signings wages that were way above their skill set...

Big summer for this guy

We can make it a bit easier for everyone involved by getting a quality player in to bolster the forward lines in the next 2 days.

If we don't, then we will have more work to do in the summer - simple as that.

We will be going into this summer in need of players which have been needed for the past 2 seasons - at right-back and right-wing. That's abysmal.

That's literally half his job. Moving on players that aren't needed.

If he can't do it, he's crap at his job.

Again, it's not impossible - you can't applaud him for Schneiderlin/McCarthy then pretend the ones he hasn't done are somehow impossible.

With Besic, an agreement was made with Sheff Utd that we and player was happy with I read somewhere but then his agent demanded a few million for himself :-( Besic refused to move unless his agent/mate got the cash which was refused by both us and Sheff Utd !
Besic hasnt been a regular for Bosnia for years too so its easy to spin agendas on how easy its to get rid of players!

We have financial responsibilities and if its cheaper to let him rot until the sumer let it be !

If we did what people on here said, we'd have a squad of 100 players, like Ings on 180,00, josh King on 130,000 and Grealish on 250,00 per week after dropping 240 million after we paid Glyffi 30 million to finish his contract off early and renew Coleman for 3 years as his sound and does a lot for EITC, so increase his 75000 a week too and we'd be even more bankrupt than Zimbabwe !

Brands has restructured the whole academy, scouting network, brought in better players than before and reduced the crazy wage bill we had before! Young lads like Gordon etc said HE was the reason he signed a new contract here ! No one in 100% perfect at their job and as his only the 2nd DOF we've had and to compare him to Walshe is our only direct comparison, compared to Everton as a business, because that is what we are not a charity, he is the best DOF we have employed

We can make it a bit easier for everyone involved by getting a quality player in to bolster the forward lines in the next 2 days.

If we don't, then we will have more work to do in the summer - simple as that.

We will be going into this summer in need of players which have been needed for the past 2 seasons - at right-back and right-wing. That's abysmal.
I know with brexit this will be tough but there is a plethora of talent in South America. We’ve been linked with players like Everton and jesus rainier in the past.

The other alternative might be Portuguese league which have done very good flair players. They produced ronaldo and Fernandes.

You are just tugging chains .You know as well as we do that it is easy to wind up on here
I'm not, would like to know what other dof do to sell players they don't want, I think with Liverpool for example other clubs are just making terrible errors by overpaying not that their dof is great at selling

With Besic, an agreement was made with Sheff Utd that we and player was happy with I read somewhere but then his agent demanded a few million for himself :-( Besic refused to move unless his agent/mate got the cash which was refused by both us and Sheff Utd !
Besic hasnt been a regular for Bosnia for years too so its easy to spin agendas on how easy its to get rid of players!

We have financial responsibilities and if its cheaper to let him rot until the sumer let it be !

If we did what people on here said, we'd have a squad of 100 players, like Ings on 180,00, josh King on 130,000 and Grealish on 250,00 per week after dropping 240 million after we paid Glyffi 30 million to finish his contract off early and renew Coleman for 3 years as his sound and does a lot for EITC, so increase his 75000 a week too and we'd be even more bankrupt than Zimbabwe !

Brands has restructured the whole academy, scouting network, brought in better players than before and reduced the crazy wage bill we had before! Young lads like Gordon etc said HE was the reason he signed a new contract here ! No one in 100% perfect at their job and as his only the 2nd DOF we've had and to compare him to Walshe is our only direct comparison, compared to Everton as a business, because that is what we are not a charity, he is the best DOF we have employed

He has done well in a lot of areas of the job. I'm also happy with his negotiation skills by and large.

However, our squad at the moment is very imbalanced and that, after 3 years, is as much on him as it is anybody else.

There's no excuse for that bench yesterday. And with four players leaving in the forward areas (Tosun, Bernard, Walcott, Kean) who have all been first teamers over the last year and a hafl, then we need a player to come in.

It's also part of his job to find players and do deals that suit the club. It needs to happen, because we cannot get Europe this season if we can't beat the likes of Newcastle at home.

I know with brexit this will be tough but there is a plethora of talent in South America. We’ve been linked with players like Everton and jesus rainier in the past.

The other alternative might be Portuguese league which have done very good flair players. They produced ronaldo and Fernandes.

There's loads of options

Boss, let's get that statue built. lol

No, in all seriousness, fine, there's a lot of sense in parts of what you say. But I think you view it through a prism of natural belief in him due to the way he portrays himself.

I personally see him as the guy who panic bought Iwobi for £30m (in the summer by the way after fruitlessly chasing Zaha for months on end), has refused to use the January window which consists of half of his recruitment job, and is responsible for that bench we had yesterday.

I no longer trust him, and I'd prefer to be rid of him. You can think he's decent if you want. That's fine. But most of what you describe - such as "restructuring the academy" - may be true, but it doesn't mean they've been improved (John Stones was scouted long before Brands, as was Coleman etc. etc.) For me, the measuring stick for his tangible success or failure is on the field, and barring Ancelotti working miracles with what he has, his failure would be even more apparent in my view.

No, in all seriousness, fine, there's a lot of sense in parts of what you say. But I think you view it through a prism of natural belief in him due to the way he portrays himself.

I personally see him as the guy who panic bought Iwobi for £30m (in the summer by the way after fruitlessly chasing Zaha for months on end), has refused to use the January window which consists of half of his recruitment job, and is responsible for that bench we had yesterday.

I no longer trust him, and I'd prefer to be rid of him. You can think he's decent if you want. That's fine. But most of what you describe - such as "restructuring the academy" - may be true, but it doesn't mean they've been improved (John Stones was scouted long before Brands, as was Coleman etc. etc.) For me, the measuring stick for his tangible success or failure is on the field, and barring Ancelotti working miracles with what he has, his failure would be even more apparent in my view.

From what I read, he has done a good job around the club and he's a good negotiator. He's also set up and restructured the recruitment to be more streamlined.

But half of his remit is the squad and transfers in and out. On that front, there's no way that 2.5 years into his tenure, we can say he's done brilliantly and in every window has left us short in at least one area. There has also been a clear lack of succession planning in positions such as right-back, while when we go for one player (Zaha, Gabriel) and don't get them, we have then tended up to end up with completely different types of player (Iwobi, Godfrey) - so again, where is the 'profile' there?

I actually raised the concern a few years ago that I thought he perhaps treated Everton like he could PSV. i.e. we could basically just do it one piece at a time and still have enough to hit our targets. Well, we can't, because the Premier League is far tougher than the Eredivisie and everyone else is investing - you simply cannot risk standing still, because all that happens is your best players leave and you're left with the rebuild process all over again.

I posted about the opportunity and for me the deadline day last window set the tone. We were top of the league and one more attacking signing - even on loan - could have really bolstered the squad and helped with momentum. Took a daft risk which immediately backfired with Richarlison's suspension.

That should have been corrected right at the start of this window, and to facilitate that, decisions should have been made way in advance about the likes of Bernard, Tosun and Kenny etc and those players told they should actively look for other clubs. It seems it has all been left, yet again, until the last minute.

Last edited:

The academy is very disappointing, who is the last regular 1st team player we produced?!

Status
Not open for further replies.