2020/21 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at the goal Barnes just scored for Leicester.

We literally have nobody capable of running with the ball at pace other than Iwobi or Rich, and neither of them are actually good enough at it.

Our squad is very, very one paced and that has to change. And it has to change in the next two days, frankly.

....I’d put Gordon in that category but his game is all too ‘safe’ at this moment in time. Gordon is one who might now benefit from a loan.

It's Besic. Mid-20s, Bosnian international, decent but not astronomical wages, and he's still here after five transfer windows.

We've been trained to accept Brands not doing his job effectively.

He's 30 next year, he's on £30k, being a Bosnian international means zero, he is hard to get rid of because no club is dumb enough to offer him £30k p/w that he can get here for another 6 months and then, on top of that, get a signing on fee at his next club in the Summer.

He's 30 next year, he's on £30k, being a Bosnian international means zero, he is hard to get rid of because no club is dumb enough to offer him £30k p/w that he can get here for another 6 months and then, on top of that, get a signing on fee at his next club in the Summer.

he’s taking abar a £20k a week cut on his next contract because he’s on the slow slide to nowhere. He’ll bleed the club dry to sort his future out

That's now. Explain from 2018/19. How has he been allowed to get in a position like this when we've had FIVE transfer windows to address it and instead just tossed him out on loan three times.

We got £100k Schneiderlin of the books to France, and he's as useful as a chocolate teapot. Yet Mo Besic and Yannick Bolasie et al are "impossible" simply because it hasn't been done.

They aren't "impossible"; Brands just hasn't done it. There's a difference. The state of our squad, the lack of quality in depth, the chronic lack of pace, all on his recruitment.

he’s taking abar a £20k a week cut on his next contract because he’s on the slow slide to nowhere. He’ll bleed the club dry to sort his future out

I don't even blame him (or any footballer). Footballer's retire in their 30's; they need to make enough money to try set their families up for the next 50-60 years if they don't get another decent job after it.

That's now. Explain from 2018/19. How has he been allowed to get in a position like this when we've had FIVE transfer windows to address it and instead just tossed him out on loan three times.

We got £100k Schneiderlin of the books to France, and he's as useful as a chocolate teapot. Yet Mo Besic and Yannick Bolasie et al are "impossible" simply because it hasn't been done.

They aren't "impossible"; Brands just hasn't done it. There's a difference. The state of our squad, the lack of quality in depth, the chronic lack of pace, all on his recruitment.

In 2018/19 if you owned a football club would you have paid a fee and £30k p/w wages on Mo Besic?

Far as I'm concerned, Whatever happens this season happens, Summer we unload the war chest and go again.
Scrape every penny and pound of player wages to towards the summer budget, We finished 12th last year and it we're still in the hunt for Europa.

Entirely my point - not enough interest, player decides "meh may as well leave on a Bosman than play in Scotland".

Too many of those instances. Again, Brands has had five transfer windows to sell the likes of Besic and completely failed to do so.
Do you read what you post ?How does he sell someone who won't leave because he has it so easy at Everton or he wages are stupidly high such as -------,Fill any name you want from 10 possibilities .I can understand your frustration but in this instance you are blaming the wrong guy or at least for the wrong reasons .
I get that some think he has made poor buys but selling someone who doesn't want to go is almost impossible.

If Besic and his ilk were doing a normal job - that people do to pay the bills - then his logic is sound. If you're overpaid but unwanted, stick around for as long as you can and then move somewhere you are wanted. However, he's doing a job that's also about self-expression and, surely, his identity as a public figure. A truly ambitious player would be looking to play - not just rake in cash he'll never truly need. He's earned more than enough money to take a pay cut to express his talent. Yet, he chooses not to. His prerogative, of course, but it's mercenary behaviour. I'm not saying that pejoratively. It is what it is. But some players need to realise that people are correct to consider them mercenaries. He clearly doesn't love playing more than he loves money. At some point, you'd imagine a guy would say to himself: I've enough money to choose to play now. But no. His choice. I consider it a waste, though. The world is being denied the chance to see a talented player express that talent.

One might also argue that cases like this prove - if it needed to be proved - that many relatively mediocre players are massively overpaid. The market certainly seems to think this is the case right now in Besic's case, at least.

In 2018/19 if you owned a football club would you have paid a fee and £30k p/w wages on Mo Besic?

Would I? No. But would I have paid money for Schneiderlin either? Or paid Sandro a penny? No.

You cant pick and choose what's impossible and what isn't to suit a narrative. Brands has had patchy success in moving players on, he's had patchy success in bringing players in. My view is overall he's failed in his role. Simple as that.

And my proof is that bench we put out yesterday after five transfer windows under his watch.

That's literally half his job. Moving on players that aren't needed.

If he can't do it, he's crap at his job.

Again, it's not impossible - you can't applaud him for Schneiderlin/McCarthy then pretend the ones he hasn't done are somehow impossible.
But did he do that who was he just lucky that he got bids? I really don't know how you 'market' a football player

Would I? No. But would I have paid money for Schneiderlin either? Or paid Sandro a penny? No.

You cant pick and choose what's impossible and what isn't to suit a narrative. Brands has had patchy success in moving players on, he's had patchy success in bringing players in. My view is overall he's failed in his role. Simple as that.

And my proof is that bench we put out yesterday after five transfer windows under his watch.

I've never even used the word impossible before so you can stop peddling that line. We had a huge bunch of extremely difficult players to move on; some he's managed to do, some he hasn't. I applaud him for the likes of Sandro and Schneiderlin because you'd have to be high on LSD to want to sign them for your club.

Status
Not open for further replies.