2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think we were nailed on to get Zouma and the side show bob throwing his toys out of the pram to move to Arsenal derailed it all

every single sound bite told us otherwise ..

surely even Bill Kenwright should have waded in a nd said, look Marcel, this deal looks dodgy to say the least, lets at least get another CB in just in case.

we still haven't learnt … waiting for transfers that aren't going to materialise …. will cost us points at various parts of the season.

theres no way our only two CB will play Every single game this season.

we don't even have anyone to rotate them with .

big ask if we are thinking Gibson and Gbamin will come in and do a good job.

I was away and primarily without internet for the last 4-5 days of the transfer window and, checking after the event, the final 72 hours read like something of a chaotic scramble. I might be completely wrong on the legitimacy of this, but the supposed bid for Doucoure seems most curious considering we'd already spent £30m or so on Gbamin and Delph, plus the Gomes deal. Add to that the apparent back up to Zouma being Chris Smalling and a picture starts to appear of something less that seamless in the approach to the window.

Some last minute manouvres aren't necessarily unexpected but these seem a little desperate.

...the dash to get Doucoure in tells you all you need to know about how Silva feels concerning what he was actually given to get on with life after Gueye.

We need Gbamin to be a big player for us or we'll be ripped to pieces there all season.

No CB is a disaster for sure. The probability of Mina and Keane being available every match this season is zero.

The only positive is that Holgate has a lot of potential and if he hits the next level we’ve hit the lottery.

It’s not by design though either way, neither Marco or Marcel wanted this to be the outcome. I’m personally happy that their plan of Rojo didn’t come off as he’d be a huge waste of money. Marcel’s first major failing in my eyes.

Youngsters (DCL and Kean) leading the line isn’t all that bad. We’d have really struggled to bring in someone better unless we spent £30m and £150k pw on Dzeko and even then he’s on his last legs and it’s a much tougher league than Serie A. As a club we must focus on buying up talented youngsters and Kean was a huge coup.

Iwobi at £28m is great value. He’s homegrown, played 50+ games for Arsenal last season who got to the Europa final and marginally missed out on top 4. He’s no Zaha (yet) but he’s talented.

It’s too early to tell on Gbamin but I think Delph could easily play that role if needed and probably as well as Gana did. Delph, if he can stay fit, will prove to be a very good midfielder for us.

I think the CB situation is worthy of criticism but apart from that our squad is in great shape with long term options in almost every position.
Maybe. I have an uneasy feeling that, whereas we saw nearly all the incomings last summer prove themselves, we might see the reverse with this summer's recruits.

Last season Gomes, Digne, Bernard and Zouma had a lot of experience. This season the potential for failure waiting for youngsters like Kean, Gbamin and Iwobi to prove their worth is high.

Maybe. I have an uneasy feeling that, whereas we saw nearly all the incomings last summer prove themselves we might see the reverse with this summer's recruits.

The potential for failure waiting for youngsters like Kean, Gbamin and Iwobi to prove their worth is high.

I think we were fortunate that, as you say, all of last summer’s signings were good - even Mina looked brilliant on Saturday but he needs to stay fit now more than ever.

As we’re only one game in it’s tough to say but there’s definitely a couple of question marks over the business this window.

I think we were fortunate that, as you say, all of last summer’s signings were good - even Mina looked brilliant on Saturday but he needs to stay fit now more than ever.

As we’re only one game in it’s tough to say but there’s definitely a couple of question marks over the business this window.

will be interesting to see what Silva has to say in the coming months if we start getting injuries in key area's and why we didn't get back up etc etc

Kean and Gbamin need time to get to grips, Bernard or Digne didn't play straight away and ended up being fine.
Iwobi is Premiership experienced so he shouldn't be too bad, Seriously don't know why people are stressing after one game because we got really unlucky and had some french divvy get sent off.

Kean and Gbamin need time to get to grips, Bernard or Digne didn't play straight away and ended up being fine.
Iwobi is Premiership experienced so he shouldn't be too bad, Seriously don't know why people are stressing after one game because we got really unlucky and had some french divvy get sent off.

im not worried about the players we bought in, im worried about the lack of cover in thee most important positions.

I know this is a forum and all and we need to talk about something but the state of this makes me want to pluck my eyes out.

Last year we missed a forward and cover at right back and this year we got that and more but missed out on a CB. To let you in on a little secret you are not going to have a perfect transfer window unless you are just missing one player and are in the champions league to be able to get the tried and tested variant. Until then it will always be on the risky side - too young or maybe on the down slope of their career, perhaps questions about being able to step up to this level and so on. It is also funny how most of the posters that complain that we have had a bad window also worry about spending lots of money on players who are in that category, which is exactly what Brands would have had to do to bring in someone else.

If he failed to get it this time I'm pretty confident he will bring it in either in Jan or in the summer.

I know this is a forum and all and we need to talk about something but the state of this makes me want to pluck my eyes out.

Last year we missed a forward and cover at right back and this year we got that and more but missed out on a CB. To let you in on a little secret you are not going to have a perfect transfer window unless you are just missing one player and are in the champions league to be able to get the tried and tested variant. Until then it will always be on the risky side - too young or maybe on the down slope of their career, perhaps questions about being able to step up to this level and so on. It is also funny how most of the posters that complain that we have had a bad window also worry about spending lots of money on players who are in that category, which is exactly what Brands would have had to do to bring in someone else.

If he failed to get it this time I'm pretty confident he will bring it in either in Jan or in the summer.

Exactly. We actually have pretty decent cover everywhere but CB. We look exposed but every team has had struggle filling the CB position. That's why Utd paid £80mil for Maguire, that's why Arsenal brought in a 32 year old.

The only lack of cover is CB which is understandable but if we can get through to January with Mina and Keane fit we can just get someone on loan and be sound.

we could get lucky , like the RS did last year and hardly have an injury … but if we do get a knock or two we literally wont be able to cope

its soooo frustrating … as we seemed to have the cash to get us some players in, but chased ungettable ones all window.

Status
Not open for further replies.