2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woah, this thread has burnt my head out. This, that, the other..... the glaringly obvious is this: Brands, go get us a good striker. One that the rest of your buys can feed. Pay what we have to, do what you need to. Other than that, meh.
It’s as simple as that

I disagree there has been arguments for and against Brands work so far.
My view is that you can see he has an eye for a great player and some good deals incoming.
Unfortunately getting rid of players is slow and hard work don’t think he was presented with this problem at his previous job and it may take a little more time than he expected for him to get this side of the job done.

...fair enough, Dave, I know you gave him credit for Digne but not much else and have been critical of not getting money in for the deadwood.

I think you have to judge the DoF on all transfers, I wouldn’t split hairs and say Richarlison was down to Silva. The DoF has to sign transfers off and make them happen, he should be accountable for the bad and praised for the good.

I wouldn’t go OTT with Brands, but I do think the signs are very good. Generally speaking, last season our best players were our new players.
I have every confidence but I think it will be another year until they have only their players on the payroll

One of your own. Leave me out of it.

Kenny is better than Coleman. Not that much better, but better.

Wrong decisions being made alongside decent decisions.

As said: nothing to write home about with the progress of this club so far in Brands' first year and a bit. Better than what went previous to him? Yes. But that should be a matter of course.
The most ridiculous comment I’ve read on here for a while.

I disagree there has been arguments for and against Brands work so far.
My view is that you can see he has an eye for a great player and some good deals incoming.
Unfortunately getting rid of players is slow and hard work don’t think he was presented with this problem at his previous job and it may take a little more time than he expected for him to get this side of the job done.

This , entirely.
Brands is doing his level best to remove the overly paid , and virtually worthless , remnants from previous regimes.
The class of linked , incoming players though , should make the normal bedwetters on here be embarrassed.
We won't get them all , but some would be nice.
How some raise this carpetbagging BS is beyond belief

I’m taking a wait and see approach long term to all this to be honest , have seen some people at the club put on high pedestals before only to see it turn out underwhelming and I don’t want to see that happen again. Twitter at the moment is a huge love in for him.

He’s made some positive changes and that’s great, Lucas Digne in particular I think has been a quality signing in today’s market. Let’s be a bit more steady before he’s glorified tho, lot of work still to do before we can truly compete again.

If you intend to sell someone, a loan is simply a bet that future value will be higher than current value isn't it? I know how to do the calculation financially, but isn't the kind of it? Kenny kind of becomes a financial asset. THAT BEING SAID, what if he absolutely kills it and takes his game to another level in Germany? That would be good regardless of what the intent is. If he flops, it's a problem and a risk for sure.

...yes, there’s an assumption Kenny will do well and his value increase, but that didn’t happen with Galloway and Garbutt. Kenny’s stock is already high, sending him on loan is a sign Silva doesn’t want to use him so my preference would be to sell.

The problem with the loan is that it's a poor decision from an Everton playing perspective. He's never looked outclassed in any game and he's a solid RB to have around. It's a toss up between him and Coleman, and Coleman is on the down escalator when Kenny is on the up. Everton then compond that decision by hanging onto a 34 year old with hardly any game time last season.
Did you watch Kenny for England u21s? Horrendous in the last game absolutely torn apart by the Croatian winger, gave a pen away in the 2nd game as well, looked terrible apart from a wonder goal

Did you watch Kenny for England u21s? Horrendous in the last game absolutely torn apart by the Croatian winger, gave a pen away in the 2nd game as well, looked terrible apart from a wonder goal
No. I did see him play for Everton a number of times last season though, and he was good enough for us. Never 'torn apart' by anyone in 'the best league in the world'.

A stupid loan deal. Just stupid.

No. I did see him play for Everton a number of times last season though, and he was good enough for us. Never 'torn apart' by anyone in 'the best league in the world'.

A stupid loan deal. Just stupid.
The only game I remember him being decent in was the 3-0 win over Fulham, the rest he was average to poor. Can't really have a go at him for the wolves game because he was playing left back. Coleman needs replacing and Kenny isn't good enough to overtake him

The only game I remember him being decent in was the 3-0 win over Fulham, the rest he was average to poor. Can't really have a go at him for the wolves game because he was playing left back. Coleman needs replacing and Kenny isn't good enough to overtake him

He's better than Coleman was at his age.

It's disappointing from the perspective that we're told time and again that the Brands model is to bring good young players into the club and to lower the age of the first team, and supplement these purchases with good young players coming though the club.

What do we get though this summer? A good young player allowed to go out on loan (when the player he's there to deputise for has gone down hill in form for a year or so) and then Brands re-signs a 34 going on 35 year old to deputise for Digne.

It's irrational...IF the much vaunted model is as real as Brands' fan club believe and declare it to be.

He's better than Coleman was at his age.

It's disappointing from the perspective that we're told time and again that the Brands model is to bring good young players into the club and to lower the age of the first team, and supplement these purchases with good young players coming though the club.

What do we get though this summer? A good young player allowed to go out on loan (when the player he's there to deputise for has gone down hill in form for a year or so) and then Brands re-signs a 34 going on 35 year old to deputise for Digne.

It's irrational...IF the much vaunted model is as real as Brands' fan club believe and declare it to be.
I think Kenny is alright but he's not going to be a top half Prem player, I can see a Shane Duffy type career for him. We need someone to come in to take Colemans place I agree.

I'm alright with Baines but I do see the downside as well, if Digne is out for an extended period of time then I don't know if Baines will cope playing every week. Not seen much of Robinson play but if he is being touted out for £2m he can't be very good, if we could get a promising young left back in for a nominal fee with a big upside then I'd go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.