2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with this. I think that a lot gets thrown at Walsh but I genuinely think most of the issues transfer wise were Koeman related.

Back to brands though. I do think you are being a little dogmatic in your view Dave. I’m not saying he’s perfect, I do think we need to be a little more balanced and pragmatic as fans but I think it’s difficult to argue the direction of travel. The majority of players signed last season are now fan favourites.

I’m not putting that down to one man, that’s something that us evertonians love to do and it’s a bit misguided. But the footballing operations team (manager, DOF etc) seem to be functioning well and are improving.

I think there is plenty to be positive about. I think the infrastructure we now have in place will slowly move us in the right direction.
Yes, I agree. Even leaving aside the low base Brands/Silva are working from after Koemageddon, the progress is real. The plan is there and observable.

But the worst thing we can do is to hand out gongs at this stage - which too many are willing to do, such are our beaten down levels of expectation.

No it's not. I've conceded many times before that he's doing a decent job...not fantastic, not transformative, but decent.

I'll leave the OTT reaction to him to others....

...fair enough, Dave, I know you gave him credit for Digne but not much else and have been critical of not getting money in for the deadwood.

I think you have to judge the DoF on all transfers, I wouldn’t split hairs and say Richarlison was down to Silva. The DoF has to sign transfers off and make them happen, he should be accountable for the bad and praised for the good.

I wouldn’t go OTT with Brands, but I do think the signs are very good. Generally speaking, last season our best players were our new players.

...fair enough, Dave, I know you gave him credit for Digne but not much else and have been critical of not getting money in for the deadwood.

I think you have to judge the DoF on all transfers, I wouldn’t split hairs and say Richarlison was down to Silva. The DoF has to sign transfers off and make them happen, he should be accountable for the bad and praised for the good.

I wouldn’t go OTT with Brands, but I do think the signs are very good. Generally speaking, last season our best players were our new players.
Yes, the green shoots of recovery are discernable. Some daft decisions already for me though. Kenny's loan is ridiculous. Baines being retained is unsupportable.

Yes, the green shoots of recovery are discernable. Some daft decisions already for me though. Kenny's loan is ridiculous. Baines being retained is unsupportable.
Well, okay, but we don't know who we are bring in, yet. The Kenny loan may make a ton of sense. I've got concerns over Baines, too, but it's not the craziest idea.

...yep, as I repeatedly say, i’m not a fan of loans for first team squad players, I can’t understand the decision to not sell Kenny. I also wouldn’t have extended Baines contract, even though i’m a big fan I fear he’s fragile and will struggle if required for a run of games.

...yep, as I repeatedly say, i’m not a fan of loans for first team squad players, I can’t understand the decision to not sell Kenny. I also wouldn’t have extended Baines contract, even though i’m a big fan I fear he’s fragile and will struggle if required for a run of games.
If you intend to sell someone, a loan is simply a bet that future value will be higher than current value isn't it? I know how to do the calculation financially, but isn't the kind of it? Kenny kind of becomes a financial asset. THAT BEING SAID, what if he absolutely kills it and takes his game to another level in Germany? That would be good regardless of what the intent is. If he flops, it's a problem and a risk for sure.

If you intend to sell someone, a loan is simply a bet that future value will be higher than current value isn't it? I know how to do the calculation financially, but isn't the kind of it? Kenny kind of becomes a financial asset. THAT BEING SAID, what if he absolutely kills it and takes his game to another level in Germany? That would be good regardless of what the intent is. If he flops, it's a problem and a risk for sure.
The problem with the loan is that it's a poor decision from an Everton playing perspective. He's never looked outclassed in any game and he's a solid RB to have around. It's a toss up between him and Coleman, and Coleman is on the down escalator when Kenny is on the up. Everton then compond that decision by hanging onto a 34 year old with hardly any game time last season.

I can`t think of a worse player to pull on a blue shirt, who played on a regular basis than Martina and I`ve been going to the match for over 40 yrs now mate.

I`ve seen some real turds in that time, but none have been anywhere near as bad as Martina.

He`s one of the luckiest men on the planet, a millionaire many times over, when the reality is he should`ve been working in B&Q, whilst playing part time for Vauxhall Motors.
Wouldn’t get a game for Vauxhall’s motors.

The problem with the loan is that it's a poor decision from an Everton playing perspective. He's never looked outclassed in any game and he's a solid RB to have around. It's a toss up between him and Coleman, and Coleman is on the down escalator when Kenny is on the up. Everton then compond that decision by hanging onto a 34 year old with hardly any game time last season.

Baines is one of our own.

JJK is League One at best.

Woah, this thread has burnt my head out. This, that, the other..... the glaringly obvious is this: Brands, go get us a good striker. One that the rest of your buys can feed. Pay what we have to, do what you need to. Other than that, meh.
It’s as simple as that

Baines is one of our own.

JJK is League One at best.
One of your own. Leave me out of it.

Kenny is better than Coleman. Not that much better, but better.

Wrong decisions being made alongside decent decisions.

As said: nothing to write home about with the progress of this club so far in Brands' first year and a bit. Better than what went previous to him? Yes. But that should be a matter of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.