2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any team would suffer if thy lost their top players for any length of time. If the RS lost VVD, we will see the effect Hazard leaving Chelsea will have on them. Only city with their top squad could afford to lose their most influential playmaker (de Bruyne) for the majority of the season and still not feel the effects. Baines definitely isn’t the Baines of yesteryear, but is more then adequate cover for Digne.
That's a spurious argument. Those teams have cover that's better than a player heading into retirement and continually injured.

A Digne injury leaves Everton knackered for a season. Loans these days mean you cant recall.

Let's see how Mr Brands decision looks after any lengthy time out for Digne. Not too good I'd suggest.

As opposed to what though? A £20mill LB to play 2nd fiddle 'incase' Digne gets injured? Or Robinson/Gibson bern thrown in with zero experience?

I get what your saying to a point but we are not City who can afford to spend £40mill a piece on 2 fullbacks (who also by the way had to rely on Zinchenko and Delph!! - even eith their resources). We are building and we need to identify the more pressing areas that need improving first

Baines is more than capable of playing 7-8 games in the PL, regardless of his age.

As opposed to what though? A £20mill LB to play 2nd fiddle 'incase' Digne gets injured? Or Robinson/Gibson bern thrown in with zero experience?

I get what your saying to a point but we are not City who can afford to spend £40mill a piece on 2 fullbacks (who also by the way had to rely on Zinchenko and Delph!! - even eith their resources). We are building and we need to identify the more pressing areas that need improving first

Baines is more than capable of playing 7-8 games in the PL, regardless of his age.
I would prefer handing the chance to either of those than persevere with a player who has no future here. Its common sense that you invest in the future..

I would prefer handing the chance to either of those than persevere with a player who has no future here. Its common sense that you invest in the future..
You think both those guys are better than Baines? Because there is NO WAY either of those two are ready for PL football. No chance.

‘No chance we’ll get Gomes now this window, Barca will want 35 million for him, he’ll have offers for CL clubs, we’ll have to wait until the end of the window, Spurs will take him, Barca will entertain a bidding war’

Brands: ‘hold my short sleeve crew neck’

I enjoy comparing Walsh’s last season to Brands first:

2017/18

Sig, Keane, Pickford, Klaassen, Walcott, Tosun, Vlasic, Sandro, Henry, Rooney

~£183m

2018/19

Richy, Mina, Digne, Zouma, Bernard, Gones

~£90m

Genius

You forgot Onyekeru. Bought a player who couldn’t even play for us.

With all respect, if the worst case scenario happened and Digne was injured for the derby, would you honestly prefer Robinson and Gibson over Baines to mark Salah? I know I certainly wouldn’t. They are both decent prospects, but obviously neither are ready for first team duties at present.

With all respect, if the worst case scenario happened and Digne was injured for the derby, would you honestly prefer Robinson and Gibson over Baines to mark Salah? I know I certainly wouldn’t. They are both decent prospects, but obviously neither are ready for first team duties at present.
Baines has nothing to offer defensively. So I wouldn't choose him regardless. He's positionally poor as a defender and has almost no pace now.

At least if we threw a younger player in there's scope for development. Isn't that what we're supposed to be about now: development? Hence the 'younger than 25 year olds' statement from Brands?

Status
Not open for further replies.