2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
....here’s how I think it works:

The DoF and Manager agree a playing strategy, analyse the squad, determine the positions that need strengthening and the ‘types‘ of player that fit (as well as those that are surplus to requirements, those to be offered new deals etc). The DoF identifies targets, the Manager will throw his twopenneth in if there’s specific players he wants.

The DoF works with the Board on budget. He has a spend envelope. Working with the Manager he prioritises acquisitions based on monies available. The manager and DoF have the power of veto.

The DoF scope includes Academy strategy, manager & coach appointments etc.

The DoF is accountable for all signings, good and bad. Some will be generated by the Manager and there’s no doubt Ancelotti’s reputation and personal intervention will help secure players. The DoF would be mad not to exploit Ancelotti’s reputation.

If a team is to be successful, the DoF and Manager have to work as a team and be on the same page. Their appointments are the most important in the club.

What happens with Brand’s contract situation in coming months will tell us lots about how the process is working at EFC.
But that's an abstraction. You have to factor in the relative status of each figure to understand where power lies.

Look at when Brands came in. When asked who ultimately had the decisive say so on purchases Brands empahasised that he had it, not Silva. He just cant say that with Ancelotti. It wouldn't be possible and it wouldn't be true.

His role will fit in around the manager we have in position. He'll be able to do only as much in purchasing players as is allowed him. Under Silva he had the upper hand in targets and signings; it was a largely a failure. Under Ancelotti that wont be allowed to continue. Look at the players we'll be bringing in this summer: they all are signature Ancelotti signings.

Beyond sitting in with Ancelotti on financial aspects of squad building / trimming, Brands has nothing to do. Do we think he's outranking Ancelotti in how the Italian wants the team to play? No chance.

It's a superflous position at Everton. It's got no tradition or basis in reality.

Last edited:
This debate still going on? Ancelotti has always worked with someone doing the transfers side of things - he has admitted as much himself and doesn't want to be in charge of that. As with Silva before him, the manager may identify particular players he would like. The manager and DoF need to be in agreement over the players. The DoF can suggest a player, if the manager says no that's fine and vice versa. There is a whole structure to the recruitment process now and that's a good thing. It should also be noted that Brands' job (unlike Walsh before him) does not revolve solely around buying and selling players, he is responsible for all football activities at the club from top to bottom which is why he sits on the board. A DoF, or equivalent, is commonplace across football now and it's plain daft to suggest we don't need one just because we've always got by without one. We all know what a manager does because we are familiar with the concept. The output from a DoF is a little bit more behind-the-scenes and as such you're not always going to be aware of his successes and failures to enable you to judge him - narrowing it solely to transfers is silly because that only encompasses a part of his role. If anything, we haven't given Brands enough responsibility - in its purest form, the DoF should be in sole charge of hiring and firing managers too because that allows him to have a level of continuity on the style of play, systems etc so he can ensure the squad doesn't need an overhaul when we change manager. We are not there with this yet as Moshiri still seems to be heavily involved in this part. Hopefully one day we'll get there.

...not sure how our Academy success rate compares to other clubs, but I think it’s a bit unfair pinning that on Unsworth. He can only work with the players he has and has won PL2 in recent times. Perhaps the KPI should be on Brands’ assessment, and then also an element on the Academy coaches.

I don’t know how much impact Unsworth has on recruitment although it was him who went to the Board re DCL.
I'll give you the DCL one, that was definitely his recommendation.

My issue with Unsworth is he won the PL2 with what I imagine was the oldest development squad ever to win it.

His primary job is to coach young prospects who are able to slot seamlessly into the first team, not win nothing trophies with the same core players year on year. Scholes (as an example) relegated UTD U23 team and they seem to be doing rather well preparing players.

I wonder what his qualifications are? It's probably unfair but I'd wager it's the bare minimum to be employed as a coach at a professional club.

The fact he's shown pretty much zero ambition to properly test himself with the proper job suggests he's far too comfortable.

Blackpools manager, the former LFC U23 coach is one of a very small number (less than 20) of UEFA 'elite' coaches who gave up his role to take the reigns 2 leagues down.

I just don't see Unsworth doing that.

I'll give you the DCL one, that was definitely his recommendation.

My issue with Unsworth is he won the PL2 with what I imagine was the oldest development squad ever to win it.

His primary job is to coach young prospects who are able to slot seamlessly into the first team, not win nothing trophies with the same core players year on year. Scholes (as an example) relegated UTD U23 team and they seem to be doing rather well preparing players.

I wonder what his qualifications are? It's probably unfair but I'd wager it's the bare minimum to be employed as a coach at a professional club.

The fact he's shown pretty much zero ambition to properly test himself with the proper job suggests he's far too comfortable.

Blackpools manager, the former LFC U23 coach is one of a very small number (less than 20) of UEFA 'elite' coaches who gave up his role to take the reigns 2 leagues down.

I just don't see Unsworth doing that.

...I’m not defending the bloke but I’d say the pool of players he works with is a lot to do with the DoF. The DoF will set the strategy and for all we know that includes giving the senior professionals game time. i imagine Unsworth has a big say, though, in contracts on offer.

i have no idea of his worth as a coach but he’ll have the required qualifications (badges) and managed a PL2 title winning team in a league where other clubs invest huge amounts bringing in the best young talent. I don’t know of his ambition but his CV will be decent.

Personally, I think we employ too many ex-players on the coaching staff (Unsworth, Ferguson, Ebbrell, Jeffers, Jevons, Tait, Southern et al). The FA Youth Cup would be a better indicator of talent than the PL2.

110 transfers in his 2 years at the club.

LOL

Scouting department upgraded.

But sure, he does nothing.

:hayee:
110 transfers?! Can you name all these?

What ACTUALLY hs he done to revamp the scouting department?

A lot of talk about what this feller does re coaching methods, academy development etc...very little proof he's doing anythign of the sort.

Do we have any documented evidence of his role outside of scouting players who failed to make it at decent Euro clubs? I dont think we do, but I;m open to persuasion....

110 transfers?! Can you name all these?

What ACTUALLY hs he done to revamp the scouting department?

A lot of talk about what this feller does re coaching methods, academy development etc...very little proof he's doing anythign of the sort.

Do we have any documented evidence of his role outside of scouting players who failed to make it at decent Euro clubs? I dont think we do, but I;m open to persuasion....

But that's an abstraction. You have to factor in the relative status of each figure to understand where power lies.

Look at when Brands came in. When asked who ultimately had the decisive say so on purchases Brands empahasised that he had it, not Silva. He just cant say that with Ancelotti. It wouldn't be possible and it wouldn't be true.

His role will fit in around the manager we have in position. He'll be able to do only as much in purchasing players as is allowed him. Under Silva he had the upper hand in targets and signings; it was a largely a failure. Under Ancelotti that wont be allowed to continue. Look at the players we'll be bringing in this summer: they all are signature Ancelotti signings.

Beyond sitting in with Ancelotti on financial aspects of squad building / trimming, Brands has nothing to do. Do we think he's outranking Ancelotti in how the Italian wants the team to play? No chance.

It's a superflous position at Everton. It's got no tradition or basis in reality.

we’re about to sign 3 decent players and one whom will be the biggest name we’ve ever ever had come on Dave!

Status
Not open for further replies.