2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because we don't even have a defined style of play in the first team. We've changed our way of playing so much over the last couple of years, what would be implementing?

I'm also not convinced it's a good plan to be honest. It's fine if you're Barcelona or City, with the resources to cherry pick the best players from around the world who suit what you're doing, but for us? Can we really afford to turn our noses up/completely change the game of a gifted young number 10 because he doesn't fit into our 4 4 2? I don't think we can.
Probably true but something in the academy requires a drastic change

You asked for 1, I gave you 7.

He also built a team able to win the title at Alkmaar and knocked Ajax off its perch, in his time at PSV he spent 100m and recouped 200m in player sales, whilst building a squad that won 3 League Titles.

With Rutten as coach, PSV beat Feyenoord 10–0 in a home game on 24 October 2010, a historical win and Feyenoord's heaviest defeat in their club history. Meanwhile, the club experienced liquidity problems, but secured its future through loans and property sales.[58] Key players Ibrahim Afellay and Balázs Dzsudzsák were sold and as a consequence, director of football Marcel Brands spent €25 million to improve the squad.[59] But in the 2011–12 season, the team dropped out of the title race early again, which led to Rutten's dismissal. Phillip Cocu finished the season as caretaker, leading the team to a third place and a KNVB Cup after beating Heracles Almelo.[60][61][62] For the 2012–13 season, [Poor language removed] Advocaat returned as head coach, while Mark van Bommel returned from Milan. Despite 103 league goals, the team ended as runner-up in both Eredivisie and KNVB Cup. Advocaat, who struggled with the job's intensity, left after one season.[63][64] In 2013, Cocu was appointed as head coach.[65] On 18 April 2015, PSV won the Eredivisie after a 4–1 win over Heerenveen. This was their first league title since 2008, and it ended a four-year domination of the league by Ajax.[66] On 8 December 2015, PSV reached the knock-out stages of the Champions League, becoming the first Dutch club to do so since the 2006–07 Champions League season.[67] PSV defended their league title in 2016 owing to a 1–1 draw between Ajax (who led the table prior to this day on goal difference) and 17th-placed De Graafschap in the last game of the season.[68] After finishing third in the 2016–17 season, PSV once again claimed the Eredivisie title in 2018 with a 3–0 win against Ajax, who were in second place.

[Poor language removed] Advocaat. Erm

Time that the finch farm 10 march there again and have another word just like after the RS game. I want answers as to why he thought it acceptable to have 1 midfielder who can actually run.

Because we don't even have a defined style of play in the first team. We've changed our way of playing so much over the last couple of years, what would be implementing?

I'm also not convinced it's a good plan to be honest. It's fine if you're Barcelona or City, with the resources to cherry pick the best players from around the world who suit what you're doing, but for us? Can we really afford to turn our noses up/completely change the game of a gifted young number 10 because he doesn't fit into our 4 4 2? I don't think we can.

The wider problem is if you want to implement a style, you need a DOF to recruit a manager to suit that style. Ancelotti is a great manager but he is clearly a very different style to what we were doing before. So saying we were actually adapting styles to fit, we'd have had 18 months of planning for 4-3-3, honing skills of strikers who can play on their own, wingers who look to score goals, defensive midfield players etc.

We'd now have to witch to a 4-4-2, teaching strikers to play together, no DM, wide players expected to track back, so essentially re-writing the rule book and starting again. It sounds one of those things that is very easy to do, but in practice is much harder. Then imagine in 4 years you've gone from Martinez, to Koeman, to Allardyce, to Silva and now Ancelotti. How many different changes have we got there?

I'm not saying it's right, but you can see how Unsworth has just thought "to hell with it, I'll do my own thing". If you were in a job, and your remit was radically changing every year or 2, you would understandably say you can't work to that proposal.

I really do think that we need to focus on certain skills in players, rather than getting bogged down in a system. Teach players to be comfortable on the ball, mobile and to play with their head up. More importantly than that, where we see a lad who has potential push them on through the age groups. Essentially skills tmhat are transferable to different systems.

The idea though, that we can implement an Ancelotti system through the club is laughable. The guys a one off. He massively varies his systems, often in game, and when he leaves he will be almost impossible to replace in a like for like manner.

The wider problem is if you want to implement a style, you need a DOF to recruit a manager to suit that style. Ancelotti is a great manager but he is clearly a very different style to what we were doing before. So saying we were actually adapting styles to fit, we'd have had 18 months of planning for 4-3-3, honing skills of strikers who can play on their own, wingers who look to score goals, defensive midfield players etc.

We'd now have to witch to a 4-4-2, teaching strikers to play together, no DM, wide players expected to track back, so essentially re-writing the rule book and starting again. It sounds one of those things that is very easy to do, but in practice is much harder. Then imagine in 4 years you've gone from Martinez, to Koeman, to Allardyce, to Silva and now Ancelotti. How many different changes have we got there?

I'm not saying it's right, but you can see how Unsworth has just thought "to hell with it, I'll do my own thing". If you were in a job, and your remit was radically changing every year or 2, you would understandably say you can't work to that proposal.

I really do think that we need to focus on certain skills in players, rather than getting bogged down in a system. Teach players to be comfortable on the ball, mobile and to play with their head up. More importantly than that, where we see a lad who has potential push them on through the age groups. Essentially skills tmhat are transferable to different systems.

The idea though, that we can implement an Ancelotti system through the club is laughable. The guys a one off. He massively varies his systems, often in game, and when he leaves he will be almost impossible to replace in a like for like manner.
Yeah that was my point really, you can't implement a style throughout the club unless you are buying into it for the long haul from the top down. As we haven't even done it at the top it's pointless doing it all the way down.

All this is great for PSV. Davy Klassen was good for Ajax. Unearthing players to play in a poor league is a lot easier than finding players to play in the Premier League.

Also, Steve Walsh got Leicester half of their title winning side......
Is a myth

He needs to be signing much better players than he did last year. His first year was solid, last year...not at all. You can't have a DoF signing more poor players than good ones especially when the team he oversees has as many poor players as we do.

If you can’t implement a style with Ancelotti and with the myriad of managers we’ve had in a short amount of time that’s fine, you just have to buy, bring through and develop good versatile players.

We haven’t done that. We haven’t even nearly done that. Moyes (I hate bringing him up) managed to do just that with no funds and using incredibly limited players. Also the academy is an absolute mess, probably the worst I’ve seen it.

Yeah that was my point really, you can't implement a style throughout the club unless you are buying into it for the long haul from the top down. As we haven't even done it at the top it's pointless doing it all the way down.

And as you say, that is hard to do when you're not a top club. I think we need to focus on producing good footballers. There's an argument that at under 23 level you try to match the first team, but we change systems. I'll be frank, I'd be far more bothered that we are pushing players up more quickly than we try to make every team at academy level play like Ancelotti and have multiple formation changes, often in games.

It's worth noting as well, United (probably the most fruitful academy) don't even have formations for many of their young teams. They put the players on the pitch and let the players work it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.