2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you think we should continue to take large shots at Brands every time someone he didn't sign scores because he didn't use January correctly than that is your prerogative. I simply intended to point out anyone who thought Brands would have us in Europe by now is pretty deluded as to the size of the task.
Do try and read things before you respond mate, it gets very tiring having to explain everything to you 17 times. I’m not having a go at brands, I have no issue with us not doing business in January. I’m just saying you don’t have to be a runaway success like Fernandes to be a good signing. January signings are always held to a much higher standard than summer ones for some reason; if they haven’t quadrupled in value in 6 months you’re not allowed to class it as a worthwhile move.

Do try and read things before you respond mate, it gets very tiring having to explain everything to you 17 times. I’m not having a go at brands, I have no issue with us not doing business in January. I’m just saying you don’t have to be a runaway success like Fernandes to be a good signing. January signings are always held to a much higher standard than summer ones for some reason; if they haven’t quadrupled in value in 6 months you’re not allowed to class it as a worthwhile move.

I think to justify the premium you pay they must at least make an impact.

All I was really interested in discussing the point I made here:

Can the people who have decided to criticize him all the time take a step back and consider that this club was more than two transfer windows from success when he took over. Thanks.
You all chose to seize upon me saying it was two windows when it was four and whatever, it's been two years and we were well more than that away from competing so having a weekly go at Brands because Bergwijn made a dribble or Ings scored or we didn't have a CB that we haven't needed is silly and unnecessarily pessimistic. I'm not interested in the other stuff about January anymore.

I think to justify the premium you pay they must at least make an impact.
All depends what you class as an impact though doesn’t it? That was my point to start with. It’s as if improving the side and becoming a fixture in your position for the next few years isn’t enough for a January signing, they have to become an all time great. As it stands, players like Bergwijn, Soucek, Bowen, Rose, Ighalo etc have been worthwhile signings for their clubs. It’s off topic, because I’m not saying we could/should have signed them, I just find the ‘you can’t do good business in January’ line annoying, because you can.

All depends what you class as an impact though doesn’t it? That was my point to start with. It’s as if improving the side and becoming a fixture in your position for the next few years isn’t enough for a January signing, they have to become an all time great. As it stands, players like Bergwijn, Soucek, Bowen, Rose, Ighalo etc have been worthwhile signings for their clubs. It’s off topic, because I’m not saying we could/should have signed them, I just find the ‘you can’t do good business in January’ line annoying, because you can.

But I think people think that Brands just does nothing in the window.

Im fairly sure he's attempting deals, but either teams wont sell or he doesn't consider the premium worth paying.

But I think people think that Brands just does nothing in the window.

Im fairly sure he's attempting deals, but either teams wont sell or he doesn't consider the premium worth paying.
I’m just talking generally though, that’s why I said it’s off topic. I’m not criticising brands, just commenting on the oft repeated ‘fact’ that January isn’t a good time to do business. There’s no basis for it, and people definitely move the goalposts to help their argument about it.

Last edited:
I’m just talking generally though, that’s why I said it’s of topic. I’m not criticising brands, just commenting on the oft repeated ‘fact’ that January isn’t a good time to do business. There’s no basis for it, and people definitely move the goalposts to help their argument about it.

Its not off topic to talk about Brands lack of January transfers mate.

We as a club have never really done much business in January and when we do we sadly end up wth more Tosuns than Stones.

Its not off topic to talk about Brands lack of January transfers mate.

We as a club have never really done much business in January and when we do we sadly end up wth more Tosuns than Stones.
We’re a difficult one as a test case to be fair because our recent business hasn’t been great whenever we’ve done it. I don’t think tosun was a panic buy or that we overpaid because of the timing, it was just a poor piece of business, same as Bolasie, sigurdsson, Williams etc were in the summer.

We’re a difficult one as a test case to be fair because our recent business hasn’t been great whenever we’ve done it. I don’t think tosun was a panic buy or that we overpaid because of the timing, it was just a poor piece of business, same as Bolasie, sigurdsson, Williams etc were in the summer.

As I say mate, I don't think Brands goes on holiday in the Winter, I think he tries to get deals done, but he clearly doesn't feel as tho any are worth taking.

Ignore this Soucek fella scoring for West Ham, yeah?

End of the day if someone is doing a good job they dont need to be constantly defended.

Silva needed defending by his band of merrymen because he was crap

Ancelotti doesn't need defending because he's getting results.

If Brands was doing a great job there wouldnt be an issue but clearly he isn't - being kind its 50/50.

End of the day if someone is doing a good job they dont need to be constantly defended.

Silva needed defending by his band of merrymen because he was crap

Ancelotti doesn't need defending because he's getting results.

If Brands was doing a great job there wouldnt be an issue but clearly he isn't - being kind its 50/50.
You talk some serious wham, he’s doing a good job. Just cause he has bought the busted knees boys(ings/Wilson) for ridiculous fees and wages. He improved the squad, lowered the age and lowered the wages

Status
Not open for further replies.