2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
A good manager can build a successful team with what he has available, a poor one covers up his inadequacies by demanding a constant stream of expensive reinforcements.

That's a really high standard for "good manager". Even Klopp at Dortmund and Pep at Barca brought in troops to supplement what they/the club developed, and SAF spent his fair share on transfers.

If we're going to compete with the likes of Liverpool and City over 38 fixtures, we need a squad to match. Obviously that dream's a long ways off, but right now we're thin, clearly deficient at certain positions and way off last season's pace for both scoring and goals allowed. I think it's a reach to ask the players up top to solve the lack of goals without an engine room behind them, and we do at least need some cover at the back.

I think theres 13 ish players out of a 23 man squad who we can keep and be 'happy' with.

The centre mid area is truly shocking...Davies stays as hes home grown and 21. But not fussed if he stays or goes.

Gomes and Gbamin can return at a lower par as well leaving us with eight below average midfield options

Hopefully he bites the bullet on delph and punts a lot of them.

£86mil ? Show your workings please...
18/19
Rico 35m
Mina 27m
Digne 18m
Bernie free

19/20
Iwobi 27m
Kean 24m
Gomes 22m
Gbamin 22m
Delph 8m
Lossl free

Out :183m

18/19
Klaassen 12m
Mori 8m
Browning 4m

19/20
Gana 27m
Lookman 16m
Vlasic 14m
Henry 12m
McCarthy 3m

In :96m
= 87m

Then Brands at the AGM said it was 94m, so depends if you trust me or Brands.

Brands says in his first window, he did 19 deals all together with a net spend of £59m
This summer, Everton did 31 deals. Says net spend of just over £35m

Last edited:
18/19
Rico 35m
Mina 27m
Digne 18m
Bernie free

19/20
Iwobi 27m
Kean 24m
Gomes 22m
Gbamin 22m
Delph 8m
Lossl free

18/19
Klaassen 12m
Mori 8m
Browning 4m

19/20
Gana 27m
Lookman 16m
Vlasic 14m
Henry 12m
McCarthy 3m

= 87m

Brands says in his first window, he did 19 deals all together with a net spend of £59m
Net spend of 45 to 50m a season isnt much is it? Yet people were expecting top 4 and more in beginning of the season.

Net spend of 45 to 50m a season isnt much is it? Yet people were expecting top 4 and more in beginning of the season.

Its a hangover from the Walsh days, the Lukaku and Stones sales, we wasted a serious amount of money.

Now I know Brands has his doubters, but hes come in and hes at least bought mostly players we could move on, some have shown their worth, some well the jury is out, its early days to be saying we wasted money on anybody yet, im aware that some will try.

He hasnt built a top 4 squad, but the players hes brought in have defo improved us, there cant be any doubt on that and we have spent a measly amount the last 4 windows, but that again is down to the Walsh era.

I think I said we were about 6 PERFECT transfer windows from being able to compete, we havent had perfect transfer windows, but we can certainly have a go in the summer.

Its a hangover from the Walsh days, the Lukaku and Stones sales, we wasted a serious amount of money.

Now I know Brands has his doubters, but hes come in and hes at least bought mostly players we could move on, some have shown their worth, some well the jury is out, its early days to be saying we wasted money on anybody yet, im aware that some will try.

He hasnt built a top 4 squad, but the players hes brought in have defo improved us, there cant be any doubt on that and we have spent a measly amount the last 4 windows, but that again is down to the Walsh era.

I think I said we were about 6 PERFECT transfer windows from being able to compete, we havent had perfect transfer windows, but we can certainly have a go in the summer.
So 3 seasons before being competitive basically, assuming the windows are perfect. Long time that Goat. Suppose we've waited since 95 to win a pot, can hold out til 23

18/19
Rico 35m
Mina 27m
Digne 18m
Bernie free

19/20
Iwobi 27m
Kean 24m
Gomes 22m
Gbamin 22m
Delph 8m
Lossl free

18/19
Klaassen 12m
Mori 8m
Browning 4m

19/20
Gana 27m
Lookman 16m
Vlasic 14m
Henry 12m
McCarthy 3m

= 87m

I guess figures will differ with loan fees...heres what we have supplemented by those who seem to be in favour

GK: Pickford / Virginia
RB:
CB: Holgate / Mina
LB: Digne
CM: Gomes / Gbamin / Davies / Delph
LM: Bernard / Gordon
RM: Iwobi
CF: Richarlison / DCL / Kean

I think its fairly safe to say Lossl has flopped with Delph and Iwobi not looking good either overall.

I reckon he needs 2 more summers with the caveat that he has to somehow jettison alot more players than he has done so far.

So 3 seasons before being competitive basically, assuming the windows are perfect. Long time that Goat. Suppose we've waited since 95 to win a pot, can hold out til 23

3 seasons from when Brands got the job.

So next season are windows 5 and 6, but that was only under 6 perfect transfer windows.

If we get 4 players of REAL quality and the maybes like Gmblammo, Iwobi etc can show their worth, then who knows.
I guess figures will differ with loan fees...heres what we have supplemented by those who seem to be in favour

GK: Pickford / Virginia
RB:
CB: Holgate / Mina
LB: Digne
CM: Gomes / Gbamin / Davies / Delph
LM: Bernard / Gordon
RM: Iwobi
CF: Richarlison / DCL / Kean

I think its fairly safe to say Lossl has flopped with Delph and Iwobi not looking good either overall.

I reckon he needs 2 more summers with the caveat that he has to somehow jettison alot more players than he has done so far.

He has got rid of players, our squad was 23 players this Season, granted he hasnt been able to shift many on perms, but thats mainly cos they keep stinking when on loan.

But Contracts expire.

18/19
Rico 35m
Mina 27m
Digne 18m
Bernie free

19/20
Iwobi 27m
Kean 24m
Gomes 22m
Gbamin 22m
Delph 8m
Lossl free

18/19
Klaassen 12m
Mori 8m
Browning 4m

19/20
Gana 27m
Lookman 16m
Vlasic 14m
Henry 12m
McCarthy 3m

= 87m

You left out loan fees for Zouma (£7m), Gomes (£2m) and Sidibe (£2m) and most outlets had Mori at £4.4m, also forgot Robinson at £2m. Account for all that and you get roughly Brands' figure.

That's a really high standard for "good manager". Even Klopp at Dortmund and Pep at Barca brought in troops to supplement what they/the club developed, and SAF spent his fair share on transfers.

If we're going to compete with the likes of Liverpool and City over 38 fixtures, we need a squad to match. Obviously that dream's a long ways off, but right now we're thin, clearly deficient at certain positions and way off last season's pace for both scoring and goals allowed. I think it's a reach to ask the players up top to solve the lack of goals without an engine room behind them, and we do at least need some cover at the back.

Both Guardiola and Klopp have shown that they are prepared to wait to get the players they want, rather than just take a punt on what is available. I think Ancelotti is the same. I’ve no doubt he and Brands have discussed targets, but if they’re not immediately available then he’s going with what he has. No more wasting money.

3 seasons from when Brands got the job.

So next season are windows 5 and 6, but that was only under 6 perfect transfer windows.

If we get 4 players of REAL quality and the maybes like Gmblammo, Iwobi etc can show their worth, then who knows.

He has got rid of players, our squad was 23 players this Season, granted he hasnt been able to shift many on perms, but thats mainly cos they keep stinking when on loan.

But Contracts expire.

I'm interested to see how Gibson does on loan. Ideally if he's backup LB and 4th choice CB (with Baines/Keane out) then it saves a lot of money. Likewise with Kenny returning it covers homegrown rules and allows us to focus on quality.

Just going off my list, were short;

2 × RB (Kenny)
1 × LB (Gibson)
2 × CB (Gibson)
2 × CM (u23 prospect)
1 × RM

In summer one starter in RB / CB / CM / RM.

I think we'll be in pretty good shape as long as those 4 incoming players are of a high level and our u23 players can step up and not look out of place.

Brands has told us and told us that he doesn't like to shop in January, it isn't that much of a shock even if it's a tad disappointing not to have a fresh face.

Would have preferred us trimming the squad abit more. Not to fussed on incomings in Jan. We've got injured players coming back, hopefully that will see us through till the summer.

Yeah, it's hard to shift those with no good qualities though, it's why wages need to be brought under control, you shouldn't have people running down contract because you can't get rid, it's not a sustainable business model.

Status
Not open for further replies.