2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. Some amazing opinions here.
If you can't tell the difference b/t the sides of 17/18 AND 18/19, you need to have your head examined. I won't even begin to explain xPTS to any genius that thinks that - it would've had us finish bottom third easy, some models had us as low as 17th or 18th, but you'd think your eyes would be able to tell, ignoring just the basic 20 goal and 5 point difference.
But FAR AND AWAY the best opinion, is the idea that Brands is at fault for not being able to shift Niasse and Martina, two players - especially Niasse, who would have NEVER BEEN ACQUIRED if we had employed a proper Director of Football in the first place. Talk about irony. Niasse is the most incompetent buy in club history. Totally irresponsible. To this day no one is still taking responsibility for it, because the club had zero direction, zero recruitment strategy, zero plan, and zero accountability.

It is completely unreasaonable to suggest that it's his responsibility to fool other clubs into taking players that are clearly not good enough - he's a Director of Football, not a Carnival Barker or a mob hitman. Just insanity of course, but obviously this is a wind up because if we all know they are crap, the suggestion that others might not think so is farcical. Yet Brands has somehow - I don't know how - convinced several Championship clubs to take him on, despite only have 6 months on Niasse's deal, and he's said no. Same with Cenk. Had him sold, he said no. Finally, Carlo yanking him helped him see he's not wanted.

Beyond that, I love all the negativity over Iwobi. The kid has been amazingly productive in the PL considering he's been playing out of position - go look at his numbers in open play vs. Bernard. I cannot wait until he is playing in our midfield properly supported by a couple decent DMs/CMs. He's also 23. But he has a couple average performances and people think he can't play - I'm going to trust the 1,000s of other minutes he's played rather than the couple hundred with us. It's like Kean must stink because he played a couple times as a 19 year old in a team with zero service.

As far as the Delph signing, he's our best midfielder. He was signed to be a backup 8 and he's been starting and playing as a 6. Is he great? Not really, but he's miles better than Davies, Scheiderlin, and everyone else in there. Thank heavens Brands signed someone at that spot.

Last point - Brands has a much longer time horizon than many of you. He's not thinking about just this window. He's got a longer term strategy and he's going to stick to it. I cannot imagine what state this club would be in without him.
So not Brands then, given the utter tat he brought in last summer especially - Delph, Iwobi, Kean.

How, prey tell, are the club going to get rid of just those three pathetic high salaried clowns then?

He's supposed to be here getting rid of tat, not adding to it.

It's a total fallacy that, just completely made up. He brought in three players over 25 this summer alone.
No he did not. Gomes was 25, the only one was Delph.

It's not made up AT ALL. I'm not talking about frees, I'm talking about buying players. Thus the term "BUYS" that I used in the post. Bringing in a free for experience is fine.

But otherwise - Iwobi, Kean, Gomes, Richy, Mina, Digne, Bernard.

But go find me a couple from AZ and PSV. Good luck with that one.

Ok well Here’s examples of previously Regimes ‘not shifting rubbish‘. You can’t make people buy players they Don’t want to it players not move it they don’t want to , the idea /argument seems bizarre frankly which is obviously not in itself unusual .

Richard Wright bought for what was at the time a pretty massive £3.5m , released on a free .

Andy van de meyde signed for £2m , released on a free

Jon Heitinga signed for about £6m , left on a free

Magaye Gueye signed for a £1m , agrees to have contract terminated .

Kevin Mirallas signed for £6m , left on a free

Arouna Koné signed undisclosed fee , released on a free

Antolín Alcaraz signed on a free , released on a free

Joël Robles signed for £2m , left on a Free
But we did get rid of them in the end, even if a free was necessitated. This feller cant give players away.

He's 'kin useless.

So not Brands then, given the utter tat he brought in last summer especially - Delph, Iwobi, Kean.

How, prey tell, are the club going to get rid of just those three pathetic high salaried clowns then?

Delph and Kean arent tat, Iwobi might improve under Carlo, jury is still out.

Delph and Kean arent tat, Iwobi might improve under Carlo, jury is still out.
Delph: he stretches the boundaries of mediocrity, and not in the right direction either. £12M for that fool. 'sake.
Kean: 1 goal in 16 games. Yeah, we really hit the jack pot there, didn't we?
Iwobi-Schiwobi.

Iwobi and Kean were fantastic buys. Kean is not on a high salary at all and we could sell him for more than we paid in probably about 5 minutes. The fact that you don't know that just speaks to the fact that you don't really follow football or know anything about it outside of England.

Iwobi is 23 and will be excellent for us. His value will also only go up. Great use of data and understanding how Arsenal were misusing him, yet he was STILL remarkably productive in open play. For a paltry 27M you get a proven PL player that can get much better, especially when he is used correctly.

Delph: he stretches the boundaries of mediocrity, and not in the right direction either. £12M for that fool. 'sake.
Iwobi-Schiwobi.
Delph was 8.5M, not 12. Please stop making up stuff.

Iwobi and Kean were fantastic buys. Kean is not on a high salary at all and we could sell him for more than we paid in probably about 5 minutes. The fact that you don't know that just speaks to the fact that you don't really follow football or know anything about it outside of England.

Iwobi is 23 and will be excellent for us. His value will also only go up. Great use of data and understanding how Arsenal were misusing him, yet he was STILL remarkably productive in open play. For a paltry 27M you get a proven PL player that can get much better, especially when he is used correctly.

Yeah, I've noticed that players who do nothing at their clubs always fetch a massive profit when those clubs sell them on. :oops:

Iwobi-Schiwobi.

He cost 8m.
I dont remember any player leaving for free whilst in contract. Not any that we paid money for anyrate.

Who are the ones that did? Genuinely curious cos my memory is fudge.
Mirallas is the only 1.

The Dutch model wont work in this country.

It works over there cos everybody pkays kids, ut wont work here cos nobody plays kids.

I don't think Brands model is to play kids. It's to develop talent and grow value until such a point as we can buy proven players when we have less need for so many of them. That's just simple growth. But LFC is playing some younger players and acquired quite a few at younger ages as well. LFC plays Gomes 22, TAA 21, Robertson 25, so those guys aren't old.

But Leicester, Man U, Chelsea, Wolves, and Arsenal have some of the youngest rosters in the league. So not sure that's true that they aren't playing younger players.

Regardless, Brands isn't a moron, he understands the difference.

Yeah, I've noticed that players who do nothing at their clubs always fetch a massive profit when those clubs sell them on. :oops:
I have literally no idea what your point is. But sure, these guys are definitely never going to produce for us. Especially Kean. I mean, I'm sure Barcelona, Dortmund, Ajax, Napoli, etc. and every other club that tried to buy him are just dumb. I'm sure you know better.

Status
Not open for further replies.