2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ll be honest I have no idea what Brands was brought in to do, we can’t get rid of players and we haven’t brought in the numbers he promised Silva he would.
He might be mad busy behind the scenes, but I never get the impression he is.
I judge him on results not reputation, he definitely needs to be doing more.
So much negativity about him, but no actual information.
I think that changing the manager is showing that the players are better than they showed under Silva.
He was not responsible for the injuries to Gomez and Gbamin which have had a massive impact. He is also not responsible for the really poor signings and huge wages from the previous regime. To sell, you need a buyer and a player willing to move. Niasse, Sandro Schneiderlin et al were disasters, but not of his making.
Also, he has not been able sign youth players because of the ban.
Lots of stuff that is outside his control

So much negativity about him, but no actual information.
I think that changing the manager is showing that the players are better than they showed under Silva.
He was not responsible for the injuries to Gomez and Gbamin which have had a massive impact. He is also not responsible for the really poor signings and huge wages from the previous regime. To sell, you need a buyer and a player willing to move. Niasse, Sandro Schneiderlin et al were disasters, but not of his making.
Also, he has not been able sign youth players because of the ban.
Lots of stuff that is outside his control
All good points mate. But that raises the question again doesn't it? What is he doing exactly to justify his position?

Recruitment is too big a job for a manager to take on in addition to the first team coaching. It’s a much more complex operation now than it ever used to be.
Quite simply, the role is necessary.
There is also a lot more than the first team squad to consider, and whilst he hasn’t been able to make youth signings yet, the loans and development are his area.
If you get rid of Brands, you still need the functions fulfilling.

You can quote goal difference lol or possession or tackles. Whatever you want to make your argument.
FACT we finished a dismal 8th and out of the cups early - the same as the previous season when we had Koeman/Unsy/Fat Sam and all Walsh’s signings.
FACT - this year we are probably going to get even less points and out the cups early.

We haven’t progressed 1 iota in 3 years FACT.
FACT - a stronger lpool team than
Played us in the cup just drew with Shrewsbury.
FACT - he has bought like the previous DOF not 1 footballer with 1 ounce of leadership quality in their brittle bones.

Actual nonsense this, did you actually watch us kick a ball in the 2017/18 season? Don’t just tell me what number was next to us in the table at the end of the season either.

I go by how many points we accrue, where we finish in the league and how we perform the cup competitions.

What do you judge progress on?

In many ways there is no easy answer to your question. You make good points,for me establishing the foundations of a match winning squad ( like HK did), Build the new stadium.

Again, and with respect, this is just going around in circles and offering up excuses for Brand.

I offered examples under two previous Everton regimes that shifted out 'rubbish' from the club and got a fee, but that's dismissed as not relevant in some way. Well I'm sorry, but it IS relevant. Brands has shifted Gueye and Lookman out - two players in demand. Only the sale of Onyekuru has fetched decent cash over and above his fee.

He just hasn't shifted players out in anything like the necessary volume, something which he was hired to do.

Ok well Here’s examples of previously Regimes ‘not shifting rubbish‘. You can’t make people buy players they Don’t want to it players not move it they don’t want to , the idea /argument seems bizarre frankly which is obviously not in itself unusual .

Richard Wright bought for what was at the time a pretty massive £3.5m , released on a free .

Andy van de meyde signed for £2m , released on a free

Jon Heitinga signed for about £6m , left on a free

Magaye Gueye signed for a £1m , agrees to have contract terminated .

Kevin Mirallas signed for £6m , left on a free

Arouna Koné signed undisclosed fee , released on a free

Antolín Alcaraz signed on a free , released on a free

Joël Robles signed for £2m , left on a Free

Ok well Here’s examples of previously Regimes ‘not shifting rubbish‘. You can’t make people buy players they Don’t want to it players not move it they don’t want to , the idea /argument seems bizarre frankly which is obviously not in itself unusual .

Richard Wright bought for what was at the time a pretty massive £3.5m , released on a free .

I haven't checked, so don't know mate, but didn't a few of them leave on a free because their contracts were up, or coming to an end?

Some of those weren't really not shifting rubbish though to be fair, they just left when their contracts ran out.

Some of those weren't really not shifting rubbish though to be fair, they just left when their contracts ran out.

im sorry but that’s what will happen to Martina & Niasse when their contracts run down . Do you think we wouldn’t have sold them before that time if we could ? If you add about four or five of them together you get about 15 appearances In their last seasons here , that surely tells you we’d have sold them if we could .

They are absolutely turd players though so it’s not about making a profit, it’s about getting them off the wage bill. It’s a miracle we managed to make a £9m profit on Lookman to be honest with you. Not a single other Koeman/Walsh signing currently at the club will fetch a profit.

Did they not fetch in DCL, Mike?

im sorry but that’s what will happen to Martina & Niasse when their contracts run down . Do you think we wouldn’t have sold them before that time if we could ?
Yeah i'm not really arguing with your overall point I don't think. I was just replying because I was struck by some of the examples you used, they're very different to the players you're talking about. We weren't trying to get rid of Heitinga, he'd been good for us. He turned down a new contract and left in the January before his contract ended. Mirallas must have signed a couple of new contracts, we were never trying to get rid of him until Brands came in. Letting Joel go on a free was a pretty ridiculous decision in my opinion, again he was a decent player who we'd never really wanted to get rid of. The likes of Niasse and Martina are nothing like those players really.

Status
Not open for further replies.