M&M? Can they play together?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What was so incredible about the midfield-performance yesterday was the way Fellaini and Pienaar linked up. It was as if Pienaar knew when Fellaini was going to win a ball back as he was always there to get the pass from Fellaini and start the attack. It was like they had played together in the centre for years.

If Arteta's fit he should be in the squad, but if you play with two central midfielders I think the Fellaini-Pienaar combination works better because Pienaar is better at running into defenders, make the quick run/action/dribble than Arteta is, which makes him like a second attacker going forward.

Therefore I think the best way to play all three of them is in a triangle with Fella and Mikel lying deep and Pienaar in front of them

Exactly what I was going to suggest mate, although I think you're underestimating Mikel's ability to run with the ball. It's so good now that we have the players to play different formations. We could actually legitimately play a 4-3-3 now. We're basically Arsenal.

A midfield of Arteta, Fellaini and Pienaar would be exceptional. It would actually be very similar to the way Arsenal and Barca set up. Song/Yaya Toure/Fellaini dominating defensively with two more creative players around them. When you have a midfield three as good as that you don't really need anything else, out wide or 'behind the striker'. I can see something like that with Donovan, Bilya, Cahill, Saha, Yak all playing in one of the front three positions. I can see all of those being effective anywhere up the top end of the pitch to be honest, I wouldn't be worried about Cahill or Bilya playing there at all.

THE FUTURE HAS ARRIVED AND IT HAS 75% POSSESSION.

As I recall somebody else saying, in maybe another thread, the key to this Summer and indeed for the rest of this window is keeping this group of players together. I cant believe im saying this, but we really dont need to buy anybody. We just need to get our current players fit, healthy and tied down to watertight contracts.

Whether thats possible im not sure, I have big doubts about Pienaar and Saha, hopefully, they will sign. And we ideally need to buy Donavan, if not, we need to try and get somebody of his ilk, if only to give us more options.

As I recall somebody else saying, in maybe another thread, the key to this Summer and indeed for the rest of this window is keeping this group of players together. I cant believe im saying this, but we really dont need to buy anybody. We just need to get our current players fit, healthy and tied down to watertight contracts.

Whether thats possible im not sure, I have big doubts about Pienaar and Saha, hopefully, they will sign. And we ideally need to buy Donavan, if not, we need to try and get somebody of his ilk, if only to give us more options.

In midfield sure. We could ideally do with another centre back, though. Heitinga and Jags should be solid but frankly Yobo doesn't look up for it.

Defo this. Well said comrade

Well it's gonna be god damn hard for DM to get a first 11 on the sheet.

I wouldn't want to be him at the moment.

I know what you're getting at, but these are the days we've all been waiting for. All those makeshift pairings and lineups...dating back...far too long.

This is going to be fun. A lot of fun. I wasn't used to the dominance we showed against City. I could easily get used to it. I'm ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.