Luke Garbutt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgot about Galloway being at the club at the time. Are you serious? For a lad whose barely played a game. Thought it would be around the 10k mark. Another highly questionable decision from Martinez.

Garbutt did well under Martinez when he played, if Martinez stays then maybe the story ends up differently?

Martinez did stay for another full season???

Yeah and we had Baines. 30k for your back up full back is reasonable enough.

30K for someone who doesn't get a sniff of a game is not of course but if Martinez had stayed longer he may have played more in the future who knows?

I have a bigger issue with the length of the contract.

30K for someone who doesn't get a sniff of a game is not of course but if Martinez had stayed longer he may have played more in the future who knows?

If Martinez had stayed Garbutt might have got a game for us in the Championship two seasons down the line.

Forgot about Galloway being at the club at the time. Are you serious? For a lad whose barely played a game. Thought it would be around the 10k mark. Another highly questionable decision from Martinez.

Yeah man reportedly so, looking at the clubs he's played for on loan...

2015–2016Fulham (loan)25(1)
2016–2017Wigan Athletic (loan)8(0)
2018–2019Oxford United (loan)25(4)
2019–2020Ipswich Town (loan)28(5)

...Fulham and Wigan were Championship at the time and Oxford and Ipswich were League One. Everton must have been paying at least half his wages in that 4 year spell, maybe Fulham would have paid his wages in full but surely the others wouldn't have.

I don't wanna have too much hatred towards the lad, I think after he got a run in the side in Berto's 2nd year and looked decent maybe he just believed his own hype a bit when trying to force Everton into offering him a good contract. He has been unlucky with injuries as well tbf to him, but yeah in 2015 we should have been a bit more ruthless in letting him go if he felt the little he'd done at the time warranted that contract.

Strange one Garbutt. I thought he played ok in the games he featured, but manager after manager loaned him out, and he never stepped up. Strikes me as maybe a problem with effort / application.

Bobby was playing Galloway ahead of him ... whoever gave him that contract was on acid ..

The rare times Garbutt did play for us he looked better going forward than defensively. He was a bit unlucky with loan spells that never really got going due to injuries and changes of managers. Players like Brendan Galloway also ended up getting ahead of him and also Oviedo was the second choice left back.

I'd expect Everton to have someone at the club designated on keeping track on how the players are doing on loan. In Garbutts case the loan at Ipswich was always going to see his contract expire so there was no need for Ancelotti to be told about him.

Garbutt took it quite well on social media to be fair to him although others missed the sarcasm as normal. I'm sure he wont be short of offers Championship/League 1 when it gets going again properly for next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.