Votes: 69 51.1%
  • Ferguson

Votes: 66 48.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to make a hybrid of the two

upload_2016-12-30_16-8-30.png

Lukaku is a better player, they're not even in the same league (though if Dunc had Rom's fitness record he'd have achieved a lot more than he did, it must be said). However Rom plays for himself and has little or no love for Everton. Which is fine really, but Duncan loved Everton and the fans and he showed infinitely more passion, as similarly-loved players like Cahill did after him.

Everton fans have a tendency to favour passion over ability. Stracqualursi is remembered more fondly than Yakubu or Saha, but he was 1/10th of the player both for us and in general. But he had passion.

I like passion, I wished all of our players had it and that they had the pride of playing for Everton all of our greatest icons have had. But not at the expense of ability. The game has changed but our fans have not. Romelu Lukaku is the best striker we've had for perhaps 30 years, but because he doesn't run around like a headless chicken or weep when he hears Z-Cars, we just don't love him.

Personally Dunc is my hero, he is my favourite of the two and that won't ever change, but I despair at the short term memory loss of our fanbase. How many can be so nonchalant about having a 20 goal a season striker after years of watching players like the Straq, Beattie and Beckford up front just amazes me.

Status
Not open for further replies.