Love the footy..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kev50

Player Valuation: £25m
With the current debate over the futures of our two best players currently raging, I've found myself posting increasingly negative messages about both on here, which does rather defeat the object of what a supporter is supposed to be about, and I am having to admit, I basically can't stand modern footballers.
And it wasn't always like that for me. Thirty years ago, it was tHe opposite in fact. Why was that? Cos we were winning? Or were they a better bunch? Footy players by tHeir nature aren't going to be in the main other than cocky and self motivated, fair enough. But players like Andy Gray and Peter Reid were still likeable even with the alpha male construct.fast forward fifteen years, and with players like Rooney and Danny Murphy, football was more characterised by just giant egos everywhere. Again, not great but still an improvement on today.
What we seem to have today is a progression again, to narcissism.That for me is the characteristic which unites Barkley and Lukaku.Roms needs no introduction, but I was reminded with Barkley when I saw his photo tribute to Seamus, a freeze frame black and white lingering on his dum dum face as he's congratulating Seamus for a goal.
I suppose that might just be a reflection of The fact narcissism is now more prevalent in society, but it seems to be accelerating with the footy. And where are we headed? Maybe in twenty years time when the chant of 'psycho' goes up it won't be an affectionate nickname but just a statement of fact

1e6.jpg

Narcissism? Since when is an athlete who wants to compete at the highest level a simple narcissist?
I'm sorry, but of all the tosh I've read on this forum, this is right up there with the worst.

Thanks for explaining the OP - and in such a succinct manner. It now makes a little more sense.

Narcissism? Since when is an athlete who wants to compete at the highest level a simple narcissist?
I'm sorry, but of all the tosh I've read on this forum, this is right up there with the worst.

I understood the OP first time.
Maybe Ross and Rom aren't the worst examples but the Pogba's and such like probably are.

If Deulofeu spent less time posting pictures of himself and more time improving his fitness and application he might actually fulfil his potential

Status
Not open for further replies.