Loaning Young Players Abroad rather then In the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiler

Player Valuation: £100m
Interesting piece from on SS by Gretar Steinsson.

Looks like there is a deliberate strategy by Everton in developing young players abroad on loan, like Kenny and Hornby. We've seen it before with Lookman who we ultimately received a 20+ mill deal for in the summer.

I wonder is this the future of our loan deals? Is it a better idea then doing the traditional thing of loaning lads out to lower division teams? Does it ultimately lead to better deals if lads dont have a future here? Is it a better business model? Does it improve players development who might make the first team?

Take Ade Lookman, if he had gone to Derby as opposed to Germany, would we have received a 20 mill + deal for him or would he have been like Dowell, who is just bouncing around championship clubs out growing his "young talent" profile and maintaining his value to the club?

Of will Kenny's and Hornby be worth more next summer after their loans in Europe then say if they played in the Championship this year.

I think its an interesting approach, strategy and debate, in acknowledging what seems like a purposeful decision and model by Everton.

Everton's head of recruitment Gretar Steinsson says the club are looking to loan more youth players to clubs abroad after the successes of Jonjoe Kenny and Fraser Hornby this season.

Icelander Steinsson was at the Wyscout forum in Amsterdam this week, meeting with clubs from across the world to promote talent from the Everton academy ahead of the January transfer window.

The 22-year-old right-back Kenny has become first-choice for Schalke in the Bundesliga this season while the 20-year-old Hornby has been impressing in the Belgian top-flight with Kortrijk.

And Steinsson told Sky Sports News: "The Wyscout forum is a very important event for clubs around the world to come and connect. It's a networking event.

"For us it's very important for us to promote our younger players. We have a very strong academy with strong players coming through.

"We have a history of developing players and for a certain age group to reach the first-team is a big task, and that gap we're trying to reach by putting them out on loan.

"So we use this opportunity to promote players not just in the UK but around the world.

The 20-year-old Fraser Hornby has been impressing in the Belgian top-flight with Kortrijk.

"We have players in Europe doing really well like Jonjoe and Fraser, which are very successful loans so far.

"So we're really trying to educate and promote players we believe have a bright future in the game and open the world to the players. Not everyone can see them play so we have to use these opportunities to promote our own.

"We need to get them playing at as high a level as possible and this is a great opportunity to do so. We're planning for the future and supporting them to be great football players, That's our focus."

Last edited:
Sensible policy,better than them getting hoofed by grocks in Division 1

Its these type of subtle nuances i like to see, ive given a bit of criticism to Brands recently, but these type of innovations and networking give me some hope on brains trust in our recruitment dept.

Fair play.

We have seen with Ade, that these type of deals can be hugely advantageous for the club and player. though i would have kept Ade myself.

Im actually looking at lads on loan in the championship, like Bowler, Dowell and Virgina, its doing them no favors at all really.

Look at Dowell in particualr he was in that World Cup winning team with Ade and Sancho, look at how the trajectory of their careers/value/profile/deals in moving to Germany as opposed to Dowells who has had what 3 loans in the Championship at this stage.

Last edited:
Its these type of subtle nuances i like to see, ive given a bit of criticism to Brands recently, but these type of innovations and networking give me some hope on brains trust in our recruitment dept.

Fair play.

We have seen with Ade, that these type of deals can be hugely advantageous for the club and player. though i would have kept Ade myself.

Im actually looking at lads on loan in the championship, like Bowler, Dowell and Virgina, its doing them no favors at all really.

Look at Dowell in particualr he was in that World Cup winning team with Ade and Sancho, look at how the trajectory of their careers/value/profile/deals in moving to Germany as opposed to Dowells who has had what 3 loans in the Championship at this stage.

It's a good point to try and track that U20 WC winning team -
we had Dowell, Kenny, Lookman (later), DCL and around that time Davies and also Callum Connolly. I'm starting to wonder if our youth strategy has a missing link, or a last step which is not quite working well, when we produce so many young players, and only really Barkley and Rooney have progressed to become Premier League players?

Put cyncically the model has to be one where, being realistic, only a very small percentage of players on our books will ever make it to the first team and for the others, the club still has to earn revenue from them as most of them should be able to play at a lower level somewhere. They are effectively "products" that have to be marketed correctly if you put a strictly business slant on things.

The key seems to be getting the balance right knowing when a particular player will benefit from 1-2 seasons on loan, and will then be first-team ready for Everton, or should be sold earlier to cut losses. Kenny would seem to be the prime example of this, let's see if he comes back next year a better player, or he decides he likes it there, and Schalke are interested in a permanent deal. If the fee is fair, then we are in control with regard to both options depending on the players preference.

At the level of loan and transfer fees continental European clubs can afford and are willing to pay, then this option is surely a good one. The player gets both football and life experience in a different culture and football set-up, and we have a bigger market for players to find good clubs that will suit them.

This for me.

Actually learn the game rather than get crocked by some agricultural players who look like they lick the wrong side of stamps and wonder why they won’t stick to the envelope.
Not only that, it gets them a bit more techincal ability. Different leagues emphasize different things. Learning multiple ways to play can only help a player.

If you take someone like Kenny, if he continues his current level for Schalke, what is he worth 10-15 mill in a market if we wanted it? If he had gone on loan to say Leeds like someone like Pennington historically, there is no way we would get 3mill + doing well.

Giving our young players the opportunity of playing outside the UK benefits the player in broadening their experience, learning a new language and developing their technical skills - together these can help them to become men that can represent our club. The club gains by in several ways dependent upon whether the player becomes good enough to play for the first team or whether they don't quite make it (and we get an enhanced transfer fee). Some time out of the limelight gives them time to develop and I support the general approach. Well done Everton

Dowell's game would seem more suited to a European league; I remember Samways all those years back doing well at Las Palmas having struggled here - he earned a reputation as a bit of a hatchet man over in La Liga due to the aggression he had in his game brought about from needing to compete every challenge in England - when his ability lay being able to read the game and pick a pass. Comparisons with Dowell are probably stretching it, but technical ability is appreciated more in Europe as Hoddle at Monaco, Waddell and our own Trevor Steven at Marseille can testify....but they all did this at the end of their career not the beginning.

Joao Virginia is on the brink of being recalled from his loan spell at Reading, he has only briefly appeared for them since he joined in the summer. He played for the Portuguese U21’s last night in a 0-0 draw, but his career has stalled down south.

Joao Virginia is on the brink of being recalled from his loan spell at Reading, he has only briefly appeared for them since he joined in the summer. He played for the Portuguese U21’s last night in a 0-0 draw, but his career has stalled down south.

Sure the manager at start of the year was from Portugal and Virginia made some howlers early doors that saw Reading in the bottom three and as happens a change of manager was brought in, who doesn't now fancy him either, so back to our U23s? Tough for young loan players when the person who brought tem to the club then leaves.

Who’d have thought exposing young talent to different cultures, and styles of play would potentially improve them.

Mental!!!!!!

In my opinion, the preference of loan moves should go:

Premier League Clubs
Top European League Clubs
Teams with real chances of getting promoted from the Championship
Lower League European Clubs
Lower League English Clubs

Status
Not open for further replies.