Match Thread Liverpool v Everton - Sunday 10th December

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, there isn't anyone putting pressure on us apart from us. Liverpool lose, fall out the champions league position and get a stinker of a CL draw and herr Klopp's going to be scared to flash his 'pearly whites' for a while. Hell if they lose the FA Cup derby and Coutinho angles for a get away to Barca and they're heading to calamity.

What's the worst that could happen to us? Lose and moan about BFS? Big deal.

All the pressure is on them.

...those last two league results for us have really helped the mood as well. I’d hate to be going into this on the back of the Southampton performance.

I'm not seeing apprehension here, I'm seeing capitulation even before a ball is kicked. And the opposite of that isn't 'giving it large', it's having a bit of dignity and allowing for the real possibility that a team that's recently kept two clean sheets and seemingly turned a corner defensively is coming up against a team that have tripped up against worst sides than us in the recent past and are way off the quality of the very best of the PL themselves - especially defensively.

Fans dreading the derby and wanting it over are contributory factors in the loser mindset our players take with them onto the pitch. An easy get out clause to just fold when the going gets tough: expected outcome - thus its ok to leave empty handed.

You are spot on here.

Is my memory failing or did Moyes actaully get worse at Derbies the longer he was here? I remember we always used to be right up for them when he first came in. Not much quality but we battled at least. The two worst from his point of view was the Gerrard "Testimonial" and Wembley. Which in my opinion was the game that finished.

Martinez, should have won his first one. He always tried to win them but was bordering on suicidal with some of the high lines.

Koeman just didn't seem fussed. The Mane game we should have been put away before they scored that late. The game went when McCarthy got hurt. As for the Anfield 3-1, that was naive tactics and Williams/Jagielka leaving Pennington out to dry.

If it was down to me though, I wouldn't have Jagielka or Baines near a Derby game now. They carry the most scars.

They barely created anything at home v Chelsea or United. They were poor against Sevilla at home. Should have dropped points to Palace at home. The only team in the league they’ve flayed at home is Arsenal. Poor teams have gone there and caused them problems.

Perception is being swayed by 3 of the last 4 results. 13/14 Martinez played a team that he never should have with half fit players all over it. 15/16 he’d lost the plot and they got us at a perfect time. 16/17 injuries to Coleman and Schneiderlin ruined our prep as well as Robles going on a holiday. Aside from that though their record at Anfield hasn’t been amazing with most games ending in a draw.

When we’ve gone there not in complete disarray, solid and organised, we’be made a game of it most times. The other heavy beating wa the B team Moyes put out before the Cup quarter final.

We almost won there with Beckford playing upfront FFS.

These are not 1970s Brazil, into them Blues.

Actually makes my blood boil that, always forget that game.

Tim effing Howard.

"But Blithe, the only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead, and the sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a soldier's supposed to function". ~ Lt. Ronald Spiers, Band of Brothers

You are spot on here.

Is my memory failing or did Moyes actaully get worse at Derbies the longer he was here? I remember we always used to be right up for them when he first came in. Not much quality but we battled at least. The two worst from his point of view was the Gerrard "Testimonial" and Wembley. Which in my opinion was the game that finished.

Martinez, should have won his first one. He always tried to win them but was bordering on suicidal with some of the high lines.

Koeman just didn't seem fussed. The Mane game we should have been put away before they scored that late. The game went when McCarthy got hurt. As for the Anfield 3-1, that was naive tactics and Williams/Jagielka leaving Pennington out to dry.

If it was down to me though, I wouldn't have Jagielka or Baines near a Derby game now. They carry the most scars.

Over a decade of failing miserably and a mindset under Moyes is hard to shake off

I'd be tempted to start with this...at least for a half. It's technically a 3-2-3-2 but in reality it's 5 at the back with Martina and Kenny having some flexibility to go forward without worrying about getting completely exposed down the flank. We can comfortably get 6 men behind the ball at any given time, and with two up top in DCL and Niasse, we've got legs we can play long balls too whenever we need to (which will be a lot). Lennon and Siggy provide work rate and in Lennon's case, pace, in Siggy's case craft if DCL and Niasse can knock down balls to them coming in behind.

I'd save Rooney as an impact sub as I don't think this game suits him for 90 minutes.

lineup (15).png

want to be optimistic I really do. But FOUR league wins at Anfield in my lifetime and I am 47 is a truly awful record and boy does it take optimism out of us. Personally want it to stay 0-0 as long as possible then pray for a miracle late on !

Status
Not open for further replies.