Liverpool locals only - Why and how did you become a blue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I truly can't remember the whys and hows.
All I remember is that I've always been a Blue.
No real influence from my family as they were never big on footie though so I must be one of the chosen ones.
<hears trumpets playing>

No real reason as a kid. I just prefered blue to red I guess.

My cousins and uncles tried to get me into Liverpool and until the age of about 5 I was pretty much on the fence. Then we won the FA Cup in 84 and I was hooked.

I made the right decision.

86 cup final, I felt sorry for the blue team with all the red ones jumping around celebrating and I felt that I should cheer for them !

When I was a kid they were in the second division.My Godfather was a main stand season ticket holder (although when they came up he gave his ticket away for the Derby game) I went to Gwlady's St school......so no choice really.

I want to try and limit this to those that are from Liverpool (either currently or originally) about how and why you became an Evertonian instead of a Red. As someone who always grew up in one team towns here in the States, it's always fascinated me how you choose between two "home" teams. The Everton/LFC split is particularly interesting since there seems to be a lot of "mixed" families, which one wouldn't suspect. I would think that you either come from a "Blue" or "Red" family, but apparently that's not always the case.

So sound off...I'm really interested in your responses and stories.

My whole family support liverpool but I went to a pre season friendly with one of my mates and his dad, it was against Udinese and we won 5-1, I cant remember how old I was but after that I just stuck with everton despite the best efforts of my brother.

My dad took me to GP when I was 3yrs old back in the early 60s, that sort of thing changes your life I was completely obsessed with everything about the place, I barely knew LFC existed till they first won their first FA CUP IN '64 or '65.

My dad is a calm gentle man his support of Everton is nothing like mine, he doesn't hate Liverpool fc or question Moyes or the board, he's far more phlegmatic.

It was only a few years ago I put 2 and 2 together, his father was a red, albeit he never went to a game but dads best mate was blue - he ditched family loyalty and became a lifelong evertonian, Everton were top dogs back then - he was a friggin' glory hunter!!!

"the sins of the father shall be visited on their sons" - The Bible.

Yeh, thanks dad.

I might add this is not an uncommon tale in Liverpool, there is no definitive political or religious divide to seperate the clubs so "glory hunting" is more common than fans like to admit.

Update to my first game story: that game was on November 11th, 1998 v Sunderland at Goodison. Just went to check if we're playing on November 11th this year as part of my anniversary plans. Low and behold we're playing Sunderland at Goodison on 10th November.

Some things are just (nearly) meant to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.