Lewis Gibson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still issues here;

1: Im confident if he gets in the first team for cameos we will need to pay Newcastle. It's approx £1mil rising to £6mil.

2: If hes stated he doesnt want to extend his contract then whats the point of us forking out more cash to Newcastle...

3: If were waiting till Jan to sign a CB then send him on loan were also stuffed as he still may not sign a contract.

4: If were holding off until he shows something to get onto the bench at least before deciding what contract level to offer.

Lots of variables here...strange situation.
This really isn't the case, at all.

...it is, Zat. I was convinced we’ve offered him a new contract, but somebody ITK (apologies, I can’t recall who) said we’ve not been in touch with his representatives. I like the lad, but perhaps Brands isn’t convinced the ‘additions’ are worth paying and we should cut our losses.

Shame if that’s the case, but these decisions have to be made.

It seems very odd to me that we want to let him go. I would say he was as impressive as Holgate was when he first broke in, if not more so (going off pre-season).

That being said, there's been some talk about making decisions on young players. I suspect we will be more ruthless with this. And as you say, if Brands and the first team manager don't fancy him then you do have to make decisions. Players like Garbutt and Galloway will hang around the clubs decisions.

...it is, Zat. I was convinced we’ve offered him a new contract, but somebody ITK (apologies, I can’t recall who) said we’ve not been in touch with his representatives. I like the lad, but perhaps Brands isn’t convinced the ‘additions’ are worth paying and we should cut our losses.

Shame if that’s the case, but these decisions have to be made.
This really isn't the case, at all.
It seems very odd to me that we want to let him go. I would say he was as impressive as Holgate was when he first broke in, if not more so (going off pre-season).

That being said, there's been some talk about making decisions on young players. I suspect we will be more ruthless with this. And as you say, if Brands and the first team manager don't fancy him then you do have to make decisions. Players like Garbutt and Galloway will hang around the clubs decisions.

Seems like we dont think hes worth the £6mil (incl all installments) then.

....perhaps they are thought nowhere good enough to make the step up.
That would be a harsh judgement given his preseason form, although I’m assuming they’ve seen him when training with the first team so maybe there the judgement has been made. I think he’d have been the ideal sub yesterday as he would have covered LB and Left CB, we’d have struggled if Holgate/Keane had been injured. He’s still only 19, compare that to 23 year old Holgate who arguably is only now convincing people he’s worthy of a first team spot. I hope Gibson is given more time to develop with us.

Ipswich manager saying hes a player they would like to take on loan but he's not availible?
Considering he's nowere near the first team why arent we sending him out?
Do people think its a case of, we arent sending you out to develop unless you sign a contract

Ipswich manager saying hes a player they would like to take on loan but he's not availible?
Considering he's nowere near the first team why arent we sending him out?
Do people think its a case of, we arent sending you out to develop unless you sign a contract

....my understanding of this is his contract is up in the Summer and unless he signs a new one then he won’t be allowed out on loan.

I’m not sure if it was @PhilM who said Gibson hasn’t been offered a new deal, which might mean we need to keep him here until we sign another CB.

If Gibson, Adeniran and maybe Bowler made it to the first team would we have to be slightly less harsh on how we judged Steve Welsh. His first team purchases were shocking but perhaps he knows a young player. Even if he signs a new contract I hope he stays here to continue his development. I would love to see him get on the bench instead of Keane if we don't sign anyone. Another option is play him in u23 alongside Astley. They are the 2 defenders I have highest hopes for coming through.

Was expecting a lot more links than just Branthwaite in...still waiting on Brands to bring in some future stars.

Surprised none have been offloaded also...

Status
Not open for further replies.