Leon Osman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leon has been a great servant to the club but last night his contribution was negligible and he continually lost possession and / or fell over. I can only think RM is picking him out of loyalty and not footballing prowess but now we are so close to a final he surely can't pick for the semi final can he? He is looking more of a liability with each game he plays.

I was genuinely concerned last night when i saw that midfield! barty / Osman has to be the slowest combination we are capable of fielding? However, we got through and unfortunately, in Roberto's mind, that vindicates his inclusion! I have always been a fan of Osman's, but I would rather we call time now on the likes of Ossie, Hibbo, Gibson, McGeady and the like and progress younsters in those positions instead!

I was genuinely concerned last night when i saw that midfield! barty / Osman has to be the slowest combination we are capable of fielding? However, we got through and unfortunately, in Roberto's mind, that vindicates his inclusion! I have always been a fan of Osman's, but I would rather we call time now on the likes of Ossie, Hibbo, Gibson, McGeady and the like and progress younsters in those positions instead!

We got through because Barry is 'the bookworm' he reads the game so well he doesn't need pace.

Osman is 'the ringworm'.

I've always defended Osman as I think he had a very underrated role in the side

He's done now though - this should be his final season. Not arsed if Martinez wants him on the coaching staff afterwards or whatever along with his mate Hibbo, but I don't want to see him starting games for us anymore

The odd game in the last 15 mins to play some sensible passes and calm things down perhaps, but that's about it.

Unlike toffeblue9 I have not always defended Mr Osman, In my humble opinion he should not have been a starter in this team for at least 18 months now! Proof of this if it were ever needed was his dire substitute appearance against Aston Villa, and the 90 minutes he spent on the pitch last night! We may as well have played with 10 men on the pitch for all he contributed last night, watching him lose possession, fall over then "struggle/jog" to get back is frankly awful in the context where we want this team to be! It worries me to think he may play any part in the semi final games at all, it also worries me what effect it has on some of the others Mirallas, Gibson, Besic etc to see him still getting game time ahead of them!

I thought he was good in the first half yesterday, I think he gave us an experienced head that we missed on Saturday, winning free kicks and protecting the ball. Offered some decent link up play in and around the box. I like him in that left sided role, I'll never understand the relentless bashing of him. Follow the crowd though and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.