Leon Osman

Useful squad player ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
He and Naismith are the ideal couple, Osman has done this for years and Naismith seems to be developing a similar knack - good to have both as options from the bench.

I've had to retrain my brain when those two come on as subs over this season. Instead of my heart sinking, I try to remember that they do positively impact games... and more often than not of late, they do just that!

I loved the play where he turned the defender and hit coleman with the pass for him right outside the box. That would have made a sweet team goal if we were able to finish it.

He's certainly a bench impact player now, as is Naismith. I think they're decent players to have on the bench, and Martinez seems to like them, so I'm not sure they'll be replaced in he summer with youth. It's going to be an interesting summer.

Osman and to a lesser extent Naismith confuse me a little bit. When you see him come off the bench it is underwhelming to say the least. He isn't as good as the player he is replacing and there is less chance of him winning the game than others we probably have waiting to come on.

However he always seems to pop up and do something, no matter how little. There are games like Villa where he won us the game after coming on and there is yesterday where i don't know what it was but he done something which helped us win. I am tempted to watch solely Osman next time i go the game to figure out what exactly it is that he does that is different to Barkley.

However he always seems to pop up and do something, no matter how little. There are games like Villa where he won us the game after coming on and there is yesterday where i don't know what it was but he done something which helped us win.

Most non footballing observers would think Leon did nothing yesterday, but his intimidating presence clearly caused the Swansea player's back pass, and unsettled the one tackling for the penalty. Also saw him showing Traore backheels during the pre match warm up.

Most non footballing observers would think Leon did nothing yesterday, but his intimidating presence clearly caused the Swansea player's back pass, and unsettled the one tackling for the penalty. Also saw him showing Traore backheels during the pre match warm up.

His "intimidating presence", I suppose theres a first time for everything!

Osman and to a lesser extent Naismith confuse me a little bit. When you see him come off the bench it is underwhelming to say the least. He isn't as good as the player he is replacing and there is less chance of him winning the game than others we probably have waiting to come on.

However he always seems to pop up and do something, no matter how little. There are games like Villa where he won us the game after coming on and there is yesterday where i don't know what it was but he done something which helped us win. I am tempted to watch solely Osman next time i go the game to figure out what exactly it is that he does that is different to Barkley.

The difference is Osman to young Ross Barkley is immense - one is learning his trade and Osman although is in his twilight years of his career knows when to release the ball he has no pace, but quick feet, and can open a defence up still , but the problem is Barkley looks out of touch coming back too soon after a broken toe, and Osman can not play a full tempo 90 minutes - we need a midfielder who can deliver a slide rule pass to a striker to create goals! Lewis Holtby who is on loan with Fulham from Spurs look at the pass he made for Fulham's first goal for Sidwell v Unt and that's what I mean by a decisive through ball pass!

Status
Not open for further replies.