Leon Osman - The Cahill Demise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Burgundy

Player Valuation: £15m
Again, Leon Osman left me scratching my head this weekend.

He has shown, over the years, that he has fantastic attributes as a skillful and tidy player.

But is that enough anymore?

This season he has looked seriously off the pace. His once so delicate first touch seems to have alluded him. The tiny burst of pace to turn a man, non existant.

The question I raise here is - Are we seeing a similar downward spiral to the one of Timmy Cahill?

I know it is quite early into the season, but so far, he has done nothing to make me think otherwise.

I also have taken into consideration the fact that he has had the 'priveledge' of partnering Neville in midfield, but his personal game has reeked of a man, not able to dictate a game on the big stage anymore.

He's a form player, he's played like a [Poor language removed] in the early part of any season for the past 4-5 years before coming through.

Stick him a bit further up if we have to play him, he's good at centre mid if he's got a Fellaini/Gibson/Carsley type next to him who can muck in a bit, but when his midfield partner is a bowl of Angel Delight we're going to have a problem.

Osman will pick up once he's playing in the middle with felli and gibbo again, them two really are the heart of our team, especially gibbo, he makes everything tick

He's definitely on the decline at a rate of knots.

Pity we've got nobody to replace him with.

It doesn't help that he's playing next to Neville who doesn't have the legs to cover him when he ventures forward. Stick him next to Gibson and he'll improve

I am hoping that this season proves to Moyes that he needs to get rid of the deadwood in the squad. Neville, Osman, Hibbert, hopefully Anichebe too, Mucha, Gueye (will never make it), Vellios (Moyes obviously doesn't rate him), etc. Would get a few million for that lot.

I always thought that Osman isn't suited to CM and I've been proven right. He's a very good player on his day but his best position is behind the striker. That's his best position by some of distance.

He's been wrongly used as a scapegoat in the past. He didn't deserve it then and he doesn't deserve it now.

HE DOESN'T HAVE CREATIVE FREEDOM WITH NEVILLE STUCK BEHIND HIM. HE WUSSED OUT OF A LOT OF 50/50'S YESTERDAY THOUGH AND PEOPLE WENT PAST HIM TOO EASILY. WILL WAIT TO SEE HIM A FEW GAMES ALONGSIDE GIBBO BEFORE SAYING HE'S TOTALLY PAST IT THOUGH

osman and hibbert have always been liabilities. It was only during his peak osman produced some decent performances, he was gash up to 27. then 27-30 he was in his peak and playing good football. Now he he is back to being gash again.

osman and hibbert have always been liabilities. It was only during his peak osman produced some decent performances, he was gash up to 27. then 27-30 he was in his peak and playing good football. Now he he is back to being gash again.

Gash up until 27? Bit OTT don't you think?

He's playing out of position, with a CM partner in the shape of Phil Neville. Nothing more needs to be said on the matter.

Two things are hampering him IMO.

The first is that he's got to play as an orthodox CM with Nev as a partner. His lack of pace and running power and Nev's immobility means he cant get on the ball and into positions high up the pitch as he'd be leaving Neville exposed with no way of getting back quick enough.

The second is we have other players now taking on the creative burden. A lot is going through the left without Osman being involved and we look for Fellaini and Mirallas a lot too. This means that Osmans role has become a simple one of giving the ball to people in good positions, similar to what Arteta is doing at Arsenal, rather than being the man in a good position and trying to hurt the opposition.

I'm happy with him being in the side alongside Gibson, but I'd prefer him behind Jelavic, as he's got the eye for a pass that Fellaini hasn't got and MO is good enough to have a big impact on a game wherever he plays.

I always thought that Osman isn't suited to CM and I've been proven right. He's a very good player on his day but his best position is behind the striker. That's his best position by some of distance.

He's been wrongly used as a scapegoat in the past. He didn't deserve it then and he doesn't deserve it now.

La di da I'm the best...

Only messing x

It doesn't help when you have Neville as your CM partner. He usually has 1 good game but then have a bad one next week. We need a long term replacement for him anyway. He is 31.

Status
Not open for further replies.