Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Baines has been absolutely fine considering he's barely played for 7 months and yesterday was his best game since his return.

I don't even think it was a case of Galloway getting dropped instantly, I think he needed to be taken out of the first team for a breather as his performances had just dipped slightly which was understandable.

Baines is only going to get his sharpness back through games. Wouldn't be shocked if Galloway comes in tomorrow but don't be surprised if he doesn't.

Tomorrow is deffo the game where Boberto has to earn those pennies though and get the right team selection and get the squad rotation spot on. Thought he got the 2 changes in Lennon and Mirallas in absolutely spot on yesterday.
Lennon and Coleman have worked well together before and it allows Seamus to play more of his normal attacking game when Lennon is in front of him, so that was always going to work out. Did you think Mirallas had a good game mate? I only watched the first hour yesterday, but I felt the game passed him by in the hour I saw him.

I still think he'll be gone in January if the right offer arrives.

On Baines: at the very least he needs resting. I'd be surprised if Galloway doesn't step in tomorrow and Baines isn't on the bench.

Last edited:
To get the best out of stones you'd play a Vidic type next to him. We haven't got one. It's doing him no favours having a weak goalkeeper behind him either. That said he's too young to be expected to Marshall a defence just yet. Perhaps time will show we should have gone for a different type of character than Mori.

I think Baines experience will prove vital of the next month or two..
Why what type of character is Mori?

To get the best out of stones you'd play a Vidic type next to him. We haven't got one. It's doing him no favours having a weak goalkeeper behind him either. That said he's too young to be expected to Marshall a defence just yet. Perhaps time will show we should have gone for a different type of character than Mori.

I think Baines experience will prove vital of the next month or two..

I agree we should have more of a blend in CD. You can have too many ball players in a team and CD needs a stopper as well as a more elegant ball player. But Stones cant be carried either. If he cant physically compete with some strikers then he should be getting close to them and taking their space or impeding them in some way short of an obvious pen. He's done this side of the game before when he first broke through last season, but I think he sees himself as Beckenbauer now and that he's not going to 'lower' himself to that sort of effort. Funes Mori is a battler. I actually rate his effort, since Jagielka's injury made way for him, as being more crucial for us than Stones'.

Agreed Dave, Galloway did not deserve to be dropped as Baines - at least to me - doesn't seem 100%.
It's one of those situations where either way you feel aggrieved for one of the parties involved and either decision will cause some controversy.

Baines has been and still potentially is one of, if not the best, left back in the league so on that note he should be in or around the first team.

On the other hand, he's had a quite lengthy lay off and on his return he's personally not looked the same player. Is that long term? Not sure yet.

Galloway was also a fantastic stand in left back when you consider his age and experience. Offensively not as strong, but defensively he was good.

Did he deserved to be dropped? Arguably no on that basis, but you then go back to the whole point of Baines' abilities and influence on our game.

If Galloway had been kept in then people would have moaned Baines wasn't being utilised. Now he's been dropped people are moaning it's unfair.

Maybe we should just be grateful that we've got two competent left backs who we can rotate in what's going to be a difficult, congested January.

It's one of those situations where either way you feel aggrieved for one of the parties involved and either decision will cause some controversy.

Baines has been and still potentially is one of, if not the best, left back in the league so on that note he should be in or around the first team.

On the other hand, he's had a quite lengthy lay off and on his return he's personally not looked the same player. Is that long term? Not sure yet.

Galloway was also a fantastic stand in left back when you consider his age and experience. Offensively not as strong, but defensively he was good.

Did he deserved to be dropped? Arguably no on that basis, but you then go back to the whole point of Baines' abilities and influence on our game.

If Galloway had been kept in then people would have moaned Baines wasn't being utilised. Now he's been dropped people are moaning it's unfair.

Maybe we should just be grateful that we've got two competent left backs who we can rotate in what's going to be a difficult, congested January.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying it was unfair to drop Galloway in favour or Bainsey, just unfair to drop him for a Bainsey who - for me - doesn't look to 100% and hasn't yet gone on any searing left wing raids culminating in a peach of a cross begging to be bladdered into the opposition net.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying it was unfair to drop Galloway in favour or Bainsey, just unfair to drop him for a Bainsey who - for me - doesn't look to 100% and hasn't yet gone on any searing left wing raids culminating in a peach of a cross begging to be bladdered into the opposition net.

I also feel that Bainsey is better as an attacking fullback/midfielder than he is a defensive fullback - so let's make the most of his best attributes while he can still contribute. When fully fit, he's a fine, fine sight rampaging down the left flank, but he needs an outlet aka Pienaar or a defensive fullback behind him who he can/could provide experienced cover for.

I agree we should have more of a blend in CD. You can have too many ball players in a team and CD needs a stopper as well as a more elegant ball player. But Stones cant be carried either. If he cant physically compete with some strikers then he should be getting close to them and taking their space or impeding them in some way short of an obvious pen. He's done this side of the game before when he first broke through last season, but I think he sees himself as Beckenbauer now and that he's not going to 'lower' himself to that sort of effort. Funes Mori is a battler. I actually rate his effort, since Jagielka's injury made way for him, as being more crucial for us than Stones'.

I don't see that either tbh. I just see two young lads both unsure which should take the lead and nervous about what's behind them.

Stones positional play is superb most of the time. Funes Mori is still getting to grips with that. Having an experienced head either side at FB should help

Football has changed so much it seems strange calling Baines a defender because he actually can't defend that well
he gets caught out of position a lot because of his forward play he is useless in the air hardly ever puts a tackle in worthy of a mention
but going forward and his technical ability he is pure class and rightly deserves his place in the starting 11
Galloway will be a better defender he has more aggression but will have wait

I don't see that either tbh. I just see two young lads both unsure which should take the lead and nervous about what's behind them.

Stones positional play is superb most of the time. Funes Mori is still getting to grips with that. Having an experienced head either side at FB should help

Conceding 5 in the past 3 and a bit games Baines has been on the pitch doesn't really suggest that.

Baines has never really been about solid defensive duty. He's a wing back. We have to weigh up what he actually offers this side now if his prowess has been getting high up the pitch and we now have plenty of people ahead of him who can put pressure on the opposition defence. It's not like the old days when we relied on his attacking to push us on (sometimes single handedly). Those times are long gone and we have to ponder if his dead ball delivery is enough to see him into the team ahead of Galloway who, imo, best suits us in terms of our present resources and set up.

I'd move him up permanently to left midfield, slot Galloway into left back.
I dont think he could do a job there, not for this team. Martinez demands a lot more than just getting high up the pitch and delivering from wide from that position. Could he do the link up play inside and join in attacks? Pretty amazing if he could.

He has missed almost all season so far with injury give him time to get match fit boys before you judge him.
Also we need someone in front of him to help him probably will be tommy

Status
Not open for further replies.