Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's barely played after being out for yonks. Give him a chance you absolute fruitcake.
Three full games and two sub appearances in the last 5 games and hasn't looked comfortable. He might need taking out of the starting line up now. I have a feeling it's less to do with his fitness and more to do with him not fitting this system we play. I dont get the impression we need a FB (or certainly both FBs) high up the pitch (and Baines likes to play in the opposition half) and his defensive skills are adequate and no more than that.

To me, Galloway's qualities suit the system better: he can get on the ball and high up the pitch, but his instinct is to stay in his own half for the most part and that gives us shape if Coleman bombs on and Barry has to drop back with the two CBs. The four then gives us security against counter attacks when our moves break down.

Baines will be fine, just needs games. My only concern is that we are a soft touch on crosses, but Baines is too good not to be on the pitch.

He's missed most of pre-season, and he's been out for a very long time.

He needs game time, match fitness and to get sharper.. with games.. not to be dropped.

Not listening to any divs trying to piece together an argument to play Galloway over the naughtiest left back in the land.

Three full games and two sub appearances in the last 5 games and hasn't looked comfortable. He might need taking out of the starting line up now. I have a feeling it's less to do with his fitness and more to do with him not fitting this system we play. I dont get the impression we need a FB (or certainly both FBs) high up the pitch (and Baines likes to play in the opposition half) and his defensive skills are adequate and no more than that.

To me, Galloway's qualities suit the system better: he can get on the ball and high up the pitch, but his instinct is to stay in his own half for the most part and that gives us shape if Coleman bombs on and Barry has to drop back with the two CBs. The four then gives us security against counter attacks when our moves break down.

Yet we appear to be conceding less?

Yet we appear to be conceding less?
Nothing to do with Baines. Besides the obviously hopeless Howard as a presence in the box, the real outfield culprit for me is Stones. He just doesn't fancy the physical side of the game. That's something he needs to get to grips with asap.

At the risk of being accused of heresy where LB is concerned, he's not the same player without Pienaar in front of him down the left flank and with Stevie P unlikely to return, it's either time for someone - Mirallas (?) - to be assigned the left wing role and provide Baines with the outlet SP provided or... El Bob tries moving Baines into the attacking midfield role with Galloway given another chance tio stake his claim for the starting role of left back

Thoughts ?

At the risk of being accused of heresy where LB is concerned, he's not the same player without Pienaar in front of him down the left flank and with Stevie P unlikely to return, it's either time for someone - Mirallas (?) - to be assigned the left wing role and provide Baines with the outlet SP provided or... El Bob tries moving Baines into the attacking midfield role with Galloway given another chance tio stake his claim for the starting role of left back

Thoughts ?
I think they all sound like force-fits, tbh.

Playing Cleverley ahead of him seems the most feasible answer to accommodate Baines, as Cleverley is prepared to roll up his sleeves and cover and he's got the ability to link with Baines. However, that accommodates Baines at the expense of the rest of our attack, and Martinez I dont think sees special cover for Baines in that LW position as a priority. He's more likely to want a player at LW who can drift in and work between lines...and that can expose a LB if that LB attacks a lot.

I've seen enough to accept that, for now at least, RM views the right flank as our main channel of attack to augment the surges from midfield of Barkley. For me, it makes more sense to play a more defensive minded LB, and that is Galloway.

I think they all sound like force-fits, tbh.

Playing Cleverley ahead of him seems the most feasible answer to accommodate Baines, as Cleverley is prepared to roll up his sleeves and cover and he's got the ability to link with Baines. However, that accommodates Baines at the expense of the rest of our attack, and Martinez I dont think sees special cover for Baines in that LW position as a priority. He's more likely to want a player at LW who can drift in and work between lines...and that can expose a LB if that LB attacks a lot.

I've seen enough to accept that, for now at least, RM views the right flank as our main channel of attack to augment the surges from midfield of Barkley. For me, it makes more sense to play a more defensive minded LB, and that is Galloway.

Agreed Dave, Galloway did not deserve to be dropped as Baines - at least to me - doesn't seem 100%.

I think Baines has been absolutely fine considering he's barely played for 7 months and yesterday was his best game since his return.

I don't even think it was a case of Galloway getting dropped instantly, I think he needed to be taken out of the first team for a breather as his performances had just dipped slightly which was understandable.

Baines is only going to get his sharpness back through games. Wouldn't be shocked if Galloway comes in tomorrow but don't be surprised if he doesn't.

Tomorrow is deffo the game where Boberto has to earn those pennies though and get the right team selection and get the squad rotation spot on. Thought he got the 2 changes in Lennon and Mirallas in absolutely spot on yesterday.

Nothing to do with Baines. Besides the obviously hopeless Howard as a presence in the box, the real outfield culprit for me is Stones. He just doesn't fancy the physical side of the game. That's something he needs to get to grips with asap.

To get the best out of stones you'd play a Vidic type next to him. We haven't got one. It's doing him no favours having a weak goalkeeper behind him either. That said he's too young to be expected to Marshall a defence just yet. Perhaps time will show we should have gone for a different type of character than Mori.

I think Baines experience will prove vital of the next month or two..

Status
Not open for further replies.