Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't particularly think he's aggressive enough for one of our senior players, same with Jagielka. Would like to see Garbutt challenging from next season, as I think he's viewed as the player he was, not the player he is now.

Don't particularly think he's aggressive enough for one of our senior players, same with Jagielka. Would like to see Garbutt challenging from next season, as I think he's viewed as the player he was, not the player he is now.
Last season he played with an ankle injury the recovery from which has kept him out the majority of this one. He has only been back a little more than a month, unrealistic to expect him to be putting in superb performances consistently so soon.

Thought he was very good against Chelsea though.

apart from chasing for the ball all the way to the other side of pitch a couple of times and nearly snapping somebodys ankle last night?

his crossing wasnt amazing last night but Baines is still our best player for me and his return is one of the few positives in the last while.

we all want to have a good alternative to him and maybe it will be Garbutt, but he has plenty of football left in him for us.

apart from chasing for the ball all the way to the other side of pitch a couple of times and nearly snapping somebodys ankle last night?

his crossing wasnt amazing last night but Baines is still our best player for me and his return is one of the few positives in the last while.

we all want to have a good alternative to him and maybe it will be Garbutt, but he has plenty of football left in him for us.
Yeah spot on.
He has been out for ages and needs time to get match fit again.

When did we start turning on our own players so quickly?

Cut it out you bad meffs. Baines is one of the only world class players to don our shirt in the Premier League era, and deserves longer than about 3 games to get up to speed.

Effing madness, and a sign that there's a section of our support that has seriously lost the plot. Not only is he still quality, but some people need to remember that loyalty is a two-way street.

Last season he played with an ankle injury the recovery from which has kept him out the majority of this one. He has only been back a little more than a month, unrealistic to expect him to be putting in superb performances consistently so soon.

Thought he was very good against Chelsea though.
So true. Baines always takes time to hit top form after injury. Was never reliant on pace, and just needs a decent left sided partner. I see him making loads of decent runs which are ignored or if passed to, no on joins him for the 1-2's that split defences as seen in previous seasons.
I do think he's never gonna be a big voice at the back though unfortunately.

So true. Baines always takes time to hit top form after injury. Was never reliant on pace, and just needs a decent left sided partner. I see him making loads of decent runs which are ignored or if passed to, no on joins him for the 1-2's that split defences as seen in previous seasons.
I do think he's never gonna be a big voice at the back though unfortunately.

;) Infuriating...let's just bypass one of the most productive left backs of the PL era. :rant:

Agreed.

He's living off his former glories. His form since coming back into the team at Galloway's expense is ropey. Oviedo or Galloway deserve at least equal chance to start at LB now and it's becoming a position that needs looking at in the summer if we're trying to strengthen.

He seems to be making a few statements recently about the need for better game management and defending and hiding his own failings under that cover. He's lucky to be back in the team.

Criminal that we didn't bring him on today chasing a goal vs. WBA..... He's got more attacking ability in his right foot than Kone has in his whole body.....

Status
Not open for further replies.