2019/20 Leighton Baines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bend over....

"As a boy I supported Liverpool. As a local lad I used to watch from the Kop when Robbie Fowler was making his name. I started out at Liverpool's Centre of Excellence and although it was disappointing when nothing came of it, I was lucky that both Wigan and Wolves wanted to sign me."

.....Now pull yer kecks back up.

Dave, you could make your point just fine without all the “extras”

Nobody needed that that image of @MarcelsGoat

I feel that some on here are viewing a version of reality through a very blue lens. Bainsey and Seamus have been talented and loyal* servants to EFC but to say they would presently command a starting position in any PL team's first XI is a little 'Everton-centric' (imo).

* I appreciate some will raise questioning eyebrow, toward my calling Bainsey' loyal' (specifically with regard to his run-in with Roberto 'phenomenal' Martinez)...but I think a little too much has been made of that. Also, claims toward him and Capt Jags being responsible for cutting glory holes in the Finch Farm bogs, are unproven and we should thus park these to one side.

Bend over....

"As a boy I supported Liverpool. As a local lad I used to watch from the Kop when Robbie Fowler was making his name. I started out at Liverpool's Centre of Excellence and although it was disappointing when nothing came of it, I was lucky that both Wigan and Wolves wanted to sign me."

.....Now pull yer kecks back up.

Ooof... The totally unnecessary, "my son is 11 years old... I haven't bought him a tiny Liverpool kit. Yet."

That's a killer blow there to be fair.

Always thought the "i changed allegiances at 15, but noone knew and I only used to sneak into the ground at the end" was all a bit contrived. Probably more like, he attended some Everton games because he was in our youth team, and lots of young players are either invited or work as ball boys. Weird he didn't even mention us by way of the youth team he played for.

Clutching at straws David.
Baines will be remembered for being one of our best ever left backs. No amount of snide comments from you will ever change that.
He showed your man up for the fraud he was, end of.
Suck it up, you're making a complete tit of yourself with some of your comments in here.

If half the players formed cliques and stopped playing for Ancelotti, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on because the fans hate most of our players and love Carlo. It was the opposite for Martinez, and totally uncalled for.

You will never, ever have a successful team if players are working to undermine the manager, whether you like his ideas or not. I thought the reaction to Martinez, from players and fans alike, was disgraceful, and went well beyond what he deserved.

Baines, as 1 of a few remaining senior players, could've and should've done more for his manager. People rightly called out Mirallas, Schneiderlin, Sigurdsson, and the latest being Iwobi, for putting under par performances, not trying, and generally acting like they don't care. But Baines was seemingly untochable because he was allegedly a blue. But the same people will hammer other young players because they are blues. It's mental.

Baines was a very good LB for us. The best Ive seen no doubt ( I was too young at the time to consider Van Den Hauwe who is probably the most recent comparison).
I do feel people go slightly overboard though when describing their own players. Baines unfortunately has been part of a huge trophy less spell for our club in an era when we have got to semi finals and finals and just not turned up. Players shouldn't be judged just on trophies, I'm all for that. A player though with numerous trophies on his CV proves that they can usually turn up and play under pressure. Our team generally hasn't turned up for big games for about two decades and unfortunately Baines has been part of that. He never really tested himself in the big games and environments so the Van Den Hauwes would have this over him? Trophies are a collective thing I get that and there are plenty of poor players who have trophies and vice versa. I just think that players who are regulars, for example, for title winning sides like Ashley Cole, will always be ahead as they have proven that they can deliver in huge games week in, week out.

I think he was our best premier league left back over a number of years.

If Digne continues playing for us at a high level for another 5 or 6 seasons and gets a trophy or two then theres some comparisons to be made.

At the moment though for longevity Baines edges it as he was with us longer.

I accept your surrender.

All that says is that he "watched Everton properly" (whatever that means) from 1995.

Take yer kecks down, I'm going to thrash you again....

"I spend my cash on my son. He's only 11 months old, so I make sure he never goes without. I haven't bought him a mini Liverpool kit. Yet!"

An utter Kopite. And you and others fell for it. £42M in wages handed to the Kopite.
Thing is Dave, if we dismissed all reds, we’d be dismissing Peter Reid, Dave Watson and perhaps Dave Hickson and Kevin Sheedy.

I can’t see an issue with Baines being a converted red-to-blue and I find your disdain for him odd and exaggerated.

He got his cash off Everton: the money the club owed him when they broke his contract. He's set up for life. He also has credibility as a fine international manager and a manager who won a domestic trophy in England.

But the issue here is Baines.

I think it was telling that there was just a single piece in the Guardian after he retired last week (a pretty infantile piece by a hack like Hunter, who I expect nothing better off, tbh).

He deserves to be acknowledeged in terms of the amount of games he playes, but, as said = a footnote in our history.

Fine international manager and who won a domestic trophy ? So he’s basically the Spanish Martin O’Neil

He got his cash off Everton: the money the club owed him when they broke his contract. He's set up for life. He also has credibility as a fine international manager and a manager who won a domestic trophy in England.

But the issue here is Baines.

I think it was telling that there was just a single piece in the Guardian after he retired last week (a pretty infantile piece by a hack like Hunter, who I expect nothing better off, tbh).

He deserves to be acknowledeged in terms of the amount of games he playes, but, as said = a footnote in our history.
Manager who won a domestic trophy, which always comes with the caveat of relegating the same side days later because he couldn’t manage his team properly in the league.

As a result, Martinez too is a footnote in our history.

Thing is Dave, if we dismissed all reds, we’d be dismissing Peter Reid, Dave Watson and perhaps Dave Hickson and Kevin Sheedy.

I can’t see an issue with Baines being a converted red-to-blue and I find your disdain for him odd and exaggerated.
All those people didn't deny being reds. Baines has wriggled uncomfortably trying to distancing himself from Liverpool because it suits his image as a player who is 'Everton to the core'.

He isn't though. He supported two clubs before he 'chose' Everton.

I find his evasiveness on the subject suspicious, and it speaks to his character.

The lad does not impress me. Yes, 350 appearances. Fair enough. Cap doffed. But he's not for me.

Manager who won a domestic trophy, which always comes with the caveat of relegating the same side days later because he couldn’t manage his team properly in the league.

As a result, Martinez too is a footnote in our history.
He was here 3 seasons: handed us our best PL season and a couple of SF spots. A footnote, yes. But if he is, then a player who was here for 13 years and won f.a. is too.

Status
Not open for further replies.