2018/19 Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which games do you think captured martinezs strategic thought the best during his tenure at Everton?
Two games: the Arsenal away game first season where he had us sitting high up the pitch and pressuring Arsenal and retaining possession when we stole it - being unafraid to pass it about in the opposition half against very good opponents. The second one was Wolfsburg away when he was prepared to back his counter attacking against a team he knew would create chances but allowed them to come on to us anyway. Both examples of placing trust in your players to be bold enough to do what's in the game plan.

Before we reached half way through the second season those players had collectively bottled it and submitted to the type of fear that Vlasic described the other day, where players were frightened to death of the crowd at Goodison (away form was always decent under RM) and they shat it week in week out instead of acting professionally. The whole thing was then compounded by RM not willing to recognise that development but to crack on regardless, hoping against hope that the spinless no-marks would grow a pair and start playing like professionals again.

Two games: the Arsenal away game first season where he had us sitting high up the pitch and pressuring Arsenal and retaining possession when we stole it - being unafraid to pass it about in the opposition half against very good opponents. The second one was Wolfsburg away when he was prepared to back his counter attacking against a team he knew would create chances but allowed them to come on to us anyway. Both examples of placing trust in your players to be bold enough to do what's in the game plan.

Before we reached half way through the second season those players had collectively bottled it and submitted to the type of fear that Vlasic described the other day, where players were frightened to death of the crowd at Goodison (away form was always decent under RM) and they shat it week in week out instead of acting professionally. The whole thing was then compounded by RM not willing to recognise that development but to crack on regardless, hoping against hope that the spinless no-marks would grow a pair and start playing like professionals again.

I think we just got lucky against Wolfsburg. They had a legitimate goal ruled offside for a start and whilst It might have been part of the plan to let Wolfsburg have a shot every 2 minutes or so, it's a curious tactic and not one that's likely to be successful long term.

I think we just got lucky against Wolfsburg. They had a legitimate goal ruled offside for a start and whilst It might have been part of the plan to let Wolfsburg have a shot every 2 minutes or so, it's a curious tactic and not one that's likely to be successful long term.
Shots schmotts. They had 7 on target the whole game and were hitting the corner flags with everything else.

The fact remains that Martinez knew and knows how to set up a game plan for confident players to carry out.

Last edited:

Back to Leighton, he's always been consistently good home and away. The crowd have never got on his back because he's quality and a blue.

Personally I think Baines could do well in a midfield 3 with gana and Gomes. Gana breaking up the play Gomes pushing us forward and Baines picking passes out for fun

Leighton Baines and Phil jagielka. 2 of our most outstanding and consistent performers over the last decade. Credit to the club on and off the pitch
Don't remember which game (maybe that horrible affair at anfield) when he rolled his eyes on the sideline receiving instructions from Martinez....that's not exactly outstanding...

With Gueye transfer saga and PSG still interested despite Paredes signing, maybe Baines could swap left-back to defensive midfielder just like Lahm.

He has the ability, intelligence, defensive quality and engine to operate plus he CAN PASS.

View from 2:42

He has played there previous under Martinez against Newcastle away under a 3-2 defeat but he could be the short term fix which fixes a hole should Gueye leave.

Baines is finished in my opinion. He played well against Lincoln but you've got to consider the standard he was against. For us to progress we need someone who can genuinely compete with Digne. I would release him at the end if the season thank him for his 12 years service in which for he spent a time as one of the best left backs in the world. However sentiment holds you back in this game so we cant afford to keep hold, either give the back up job to Robinson or bring someone new in.
I think there are more glaring deficiencies in the squad to be addressed before we buy a back up to Digne
I don’t think Robinson is good enough so a 1 year contract extension for Baines on a reduced wage would be good buisness
Starting RB
2 Starting CM (possibly 3 )
Starting RW
Starting CF
Possibly a starting CB
All the above need to be signed before we sign a back up to Digne , which I agree we need but it’s not a priority

I think there are more glaring deficiencies in the squad to be addressed before we buy a back up to Digne
I don’t think Robinson is good enough so a 1 year contract extension for Baines on a reduced wage would be good buisness
Starting RB
2 Starting CM (possibly 3 )
Starting RW
Starting CF
Possibly a starting CB
All the above need to be signed before we sign a back up to Digne , which I agree we need but it’s not a priority

So basically a whole new team yeah?

Status
Not open for further replies.