Late 80's/Early 90's Crowds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Living in the North East I would occasionally watch the Skunks and was, in fact, a member of their lowest ever crowd of 9073 for a league cup tie against Bury. I, along with probably 50% of the crowd got in with free tickets they were giving away in local pubs

I’ve had a few “biggest club” discussions with Skunks fans over the years and it appears I am mistaken and that there were 52000 of the greatest fans in the world there that night despite the groun only having 3 sides at the time.

Recession.
There were massive redundancies in the Thatcher years and Merseyside in particular was deliberately targeted for a 'managed decline'
Football takes a back seat when you're struggling to put food on the table. (something that people need to bear in mind when crying out for 70,000 seater stadiums in these unstable times)
Other clubs had much lower attendances then though, it wasn't just a Merseyside thing.

I can remember arguing with a Man United fan who said they always sold out Old Trafford even before their success under Sir Alex. He was amazed when I showed him a Rothmans Handbook showing that they were far from sold out in the season they first won the Premiership.

I don't think we were bigger in the city then. I think we have a stronger fan base now than then. We have far more match going fans who are youngsters and teenagers than was the case 30 years ago. That's just one reason crowds are bigger now.

On another note, one thing that peaked a long time ago is the haemorrhaging of fans over to the dark side. I'm referring to sons and daughters of Evertonian fathers following the other crowd. It must have been a huge flow from the 60's onwards. I suspect there may be some still but now it's more like a trickle. I've even heard of young people following Everton because they actually want to go to a match rather than watch one on the TV.
Surely we had more fans back then??? Granted, I wasn't there, so I don't know, but, we were top class at that stage, or at least had just been. Back then, story goes, the city really was 50/50 red/blue.
It's not 50/50 today, so surely that means we DID have a bigger support in the City? I am assured by the arl lads that back around the time of the 1989 FA Cup final, Everton were very much as supported in the City as the sh*te

Watching a few clips on YT of Goodison in the late 80's early 90's. From the back end of the great days up to the Beardsley/Ablett/MoJo days.
Very striking how small the crowds were!
Empty spaces every where. Avg crowds of 27-29,000.

Anyone here of that vintage know why that was??
If anything I'd say we were a lot bigger in the city than we are today. Seems very odd?
Generally the case. Only really the last twenty years that clubs have continually sold out. I used to walk up and get a ticket for all our London away games as well.

I remember when about 3000 people were at Selhurst for us versus Wimbledon.

Great days tbh, would go back.
I was one of the 3009 ! (?). Midweek game and I think a coach or 2 of Toffees didn’t make it due to bad fog on the M1. It’s the premier leagues lowest crowd ever ! Is there a trophy ? Maybe a penalty shootout with the original Dons ?

Surely we had more fans back then??? Granted, I wasn't there, so I don't know, but, we were top class at that stage, or at least had just been. Back then, story goes, the city really was 50/50 red/blue.
It's not 50/50 today, so surely that means we DID have a bigger support in the City? I am assured by the arl lads that back around the time of the 1989 FA Cup final, Everton were very much as supported in the City as the sh*te
The demand means people are obligated to have season tickets as walking up to get a ticket is impossible. When grounds were 3/4 full there was less pressure to go every week. Also economic problems.

Would lads generally agree the city is closer to 60/40 than 50/50 these days?
Was genuinely 50/50 back then tho as the OOT's couldn't attend as flights were the price of a mortgage, even from Ireland.

I suppose I am referring to support as people who go to the match. Without stating the obvious, we must have far bigger support now compared to 30 years ago as the crowds we get are far bigger.

We certainly have more fans locally who go to Goodison than they have who attend Anfield. That is established fact. And when we increase our capacity by 15,000, that statistic will be even more stark.

The hooligans ruined it for everyone, people were scared to take kids etc, it wasn't a great time apart from us being much better obviously.
Yeah, absolutely agree. I can't stand all that misty eyed Kopite nonsense about terrace fashion and who had Adidas Gob**ite training shoes first. I was in my early 20's at the time and it was a horribly violent time to be a football fan and to be honest just being that age in general. Scallies being some kind of counter culture? Do me a favour.

Fairly sure the Coventry or Chesterfield games of 83 were dire attendance wise, circa 8k?

My memories fade though, had my ST 81 through 93 and always remember the Gwladys being full but maybe because blocked out the poor attendance matches and see through Blue tinted specs the rest.

As many have said 80's in Merseyside particularly were desperate for so many, I feel relatively lucky to have been a teen and largely unaffected as was still living at home but my Dad being made redundant but still buying me my ST but him not going.

To be honest, attendance and downturn apart, would defo go back to that time when football was for us and not the Prem Prawnies.

Status
Not open for further replies.