2017/18 Kieran Dowell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Koeman loans out Keiran Dowell who has virtually played a handful of first team competitive fixtures; gets hammered for it. Koeman gives Calvert-Lewin opportunities to play; gets hammered for it. Classic no win position.

On the subject of Dowell, this is a good move for him. Success with Everton's youth team, check. Success with an England age-group, check. Success playing competitive football against solid opposition, soon to be checked (hopefully). Very clear strategy in place, if he's good enough you'll see him back in blue in no time, if he ain't then we move on to the next one.

It's not really ridiculous is it though? He's probably going to play 30+ competitive games in a very strong league. How many starts and sub appearances would he get this year with us ? 1 in 4 or 5 games?

He has the chance to play in his preferred position for a season and if he looks a class above he will return a huge asset.

If he doesn't perform he's found his level.
Is he?

..Koeman is building a team for now, he's made no secret of that. He said he's got a 3 year contract. He also said SW is looking at the longer-term. Nobody will complain if RK builds a successful team, it's what he aims to do. He clearly feels Dowell will not feature in his team this season. He's not going to cut off his nose to spite his face, if he thought Dowell was better than what he has he'd pick him.

I'm a big fan of Dowell. I'm a big fan of Kenny but the Manager has to do what he thinks is right. If he fails we can criticise.
Which goes to the heart of the matter, because most of us do think he's good enough...and if the manager watched what we watched and came to another conclusion then he's arrived at the wrong one, quite obviously.

But you said it: his aim is to build a successful team. I suggest he gets he finds one this season or his spending and decision making in general are going to be criticised and he'll have an uphill battle in any third season he has here.

Ready for what? Dowelll had an inconsistent year in the U23s, but he's ready to play for Everton? Ahead of who? Rooney, Sigurdsson, Klassen, Mirallas, McCarthy? He's going to feature for Forrest. Totally different environment and pressures playing at that level than in the U23 side.

Kenny doesn't have as many blocking him, but he's in the same boat.
Ready for what. 'sake. Do you watch the ames he was involved in?

Is there a slight chance that the man who sees these players day in day out and will discuss them with the U23 manager knows a little bit more than you?...............just a chance?
I have no interest in what he thinks. Unfortunately we have to live with it for now, but that's as far as it goes for me.

Which goes to the heart of the matter, because most of us do think he's good enough...and if the manager watched what we watched and came to another conclusion then he's arrived at the wrong one, quite obviously.

But you said it: his aim is to build a successful team. I suggest he gets he finds one this season or his spending and decision making in general are going to be criticised and he'll have an uphill battle in any third season he has here.

and if the manager watched what we watched and came to another conclusion then he's come to the wrong conclusion, quite obviously..................???????

Care to elaborate........I'd love to read your insights, you sound like an extremely knowledgeable FOOTBALL FAN

and if the manager watched what we watched and came to another conclusion then he's come to the wrong conclusion, quite obviously..................???????

Care to elaborate........I'd love to read your insights, you sound like an extremely knowledgeable FOOTBALL FAN

If you have an opinion on anything how can you not back it against what anyone else thinks?

The feller has won the square root of f.a. in the last 10 years. Am I supposed to prostrate myself before someone like him?

..it doesn't seem that long ago that you were asking for opinions on Dowell and now you say he's good enough for the first team.

Wonderful. Another thread in which we are not allowed to have a meaningful discussion.

The ignore feature isn't close to enough.

I only saw him in one game, looked fairly decent, but in the same game most nay-sayers were willing to write off our summer signings.

Loan him out, toughen him up, bring him back a better player. good enough for Beckham and a whole host of others, good enough for any of our growing starlets.

Most of who ?

Status
Not open for further replies.