judge us at the end of the transfer window – not now

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep going back and forth over whether it was a good window or not. The overall squad looks much better, I'd say defensively and in midfield we look like a proper team now. We have quality in there as well as strength and depth and we've binned a lot of high earnings from the squad which shouldn't be overlooked. But we're so short on quality in the final third, especially upfront and we've known that all summer. Even before Dom got injured it was just him and Rondon - we sent Simms and Dobbin out clearly confident we'd get targets in and the fact we waited all window, basically forfeiting our first 5 games only to miss out on another striker/attacker because whatever we were holding out for didn't happen, really takes the shine off it and makes it feel like a failure. The worst part is it was predictably Everton. We've seen this before numerous times (Broja, welcome to the Giroud/Zouma club).
Right now, with 5 games down... 2 points and only Maupay coming in then it's got to be a deemed a failure.
Come December we might be laughing because Dom's back and scoring, Maupays hit the ground running -we're sitting pretty in the top half and we haven't wasted money on a striker we clearly didn't rate enough to spend big on in the summer and I hope that's the case.
We won't truly know the the affects of this window until the new Window opens.

I keep going back and forth over whether it was a good window or not. The overall squad looks much better, I'd say defensively and in midfield we look like a proper team now. We have quality in there as well as strength and depth and we've binned a lot of high earnings from the squad which shouldn't be overlooked. But we're so short on quality in the final third, especially upfront and we've known that all summer. Even before Dom got injured it was just him and Rondon - we sent Simms and Dobbin out clearly confident we'd get targets in and the fact we waited all window, basically forfeiting our first 5 games only to miss out on another striker/attacker because whatever we were holding out for didn't happen, really takes the shine off it and makes it feel like a failure. The worst part is it was predictably Everton. We've seen this before numerous times (Broja, welcome to the Giroud/Zouma club).
Right now, with 5 games down... 2 points and only Maupay coming in then it's got to be a deemed a failure.
Come December we might be laughing because Dom's back and scoring, Maupays hit the ground running -we're sitting pretty in the top half and we haven't wasted money on a striker we clearly didn't rate enough to spend big on in the summer and I hope that's the case.

I agree with all of that. We are very significantly stronger in defence and midfield than we were last season, that should help a lot

I'd feel an awful lot better about things if we'd added a versatile forward capable of scoring double figures. As it is, we've effectively swapped Richarlison for McNeil and Maupay and it's too early to judge whether that's a good swap or not.

I think if DCL stays fit (not a given) we will be fine, but if he doesn't then it's absolutely anyone's guess how it will all turn out

Really good evaluation of our squad, just add we have a younger stronger base in midfield, much more balanced team and less of a whole host of different manager/ different players ethos which I feel was killing us. Keep Lampard and let us grow the right way with continuity and team spirit. Your right and I agree we need more up top, Kudus or someone like him and one top class striker, fast, clinical who can play across the front three would for me get us to compete for the European places, patience is key, all successful teams need stability and I feel we are going the right way under his leadership, now let's see how we do with more of his signings.

Judge us at the end of the next window……

What I like about this window is for the first time in ages you can see the basis of a plan behind the signings.
It looks like players have been signed not just for the next 10 games but also with an eye on where we'll be in a year or two.
We're gonna have a spine, work hard for each other and be hard to beat with lots of young players getting game time with the potential to kick on.
That might just be a healthy, sustainable approach to squad building with potential to improve further next year.
I like it.

I don't think it has been a bad window. We are getting better players in, clearing out some deadwood. We are not good enough to sign the top players so we ain't getting them. We are improving, step by step. My opinion any way. Now is time to get behind the team.

This ^^^^^^^^

Exactly, we identified a good target, landed him and moved onto the defense
I'm joshing you chief

I've convinced myself that Neil is a good transfer, but am willing to completely go back on myself if he miscontrols one pass within the first twenty minutes of his debut

I'm joshing you chief

I've convinced myself that Neil is a good transfer, but am willing to completely go back on myself if he miscontrols one pass within the first twenty minutes of his debut
If he miss places his foot, and it lands on Virgils knee, ill have that!!

Not sure how I feel about us keeping Gordon. I like that we're putting our foot down on young potential but I'm not convinced by him as a player at all

Status
Not open for further replies.