2017/18 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
So people aren't allowed to point out that maybe he is pushing the ball out into the danger zone pretty consistently atm, and that it has let to several goals?
People are allowed to say whatever they please; just as I can dismiss some of it as absurd.

Mentioning a flaw in his game is a bit different than suggesting that he isn't multiple levels above Robles.

He’s been decent for us so far. Nothing more, nothing less. Some games he looks like a world beater but he’s been poor on too many goals to warrant some of the over the top praise he’s getting here. If Robles had performed like he had on Saturday he’d be getting slaughtered.

Pickford.......is a good promising keeper who still has a lot to learn & is far from the finished product.....

The more you practice the better you get.....

Pickford please practice the following......catching the ball, judgement of when to run out & when not to, talking to your defence, making good saves look good & not making them look spectacular.....

So basically, all aspects of goalkeeping

His pushing shots out into the box is a massive flaw in his game and needs addressing, quickly. It reminds of the way Hart could never save hard low shots to his left and no one cared to address it....he still can't and his stock has fallen massively.

I think it a little odd that when he played for England against Germany, he was called into action quite a few times. Yet when England played Brazil with Hart in goal, Hart had a fairly quiet game. I am beginning to wonder if some of our problems, may be something to do with Pickford not communicating with the people in front of him. It could explain why he is always called upon to make more than your average number of saves in a game. I don't recall Robles/Steklenberg being called into action last season, as often as Pickford is this season. The defence did look better last season. He was always busy at Sunderland (granted - a bad example), he is busy at Everton, and he was even busy for England.

Is his lack of communication causing us to look disorganized at the back, which in turn, makes him looks like the hero that saves the day?

Just food for thought.

I think it a little odd that when he played for England against Germany, he was called into action quite a few times. Yet when England played Brazil with Hart in goal, Hart had a fairly quiet game. I am beginning to wonder if some of our problems, may be something to do with Pickford not communicating with the people in front of him. It could explain why he is always called upon to make more than your average number of saves in a game. I don't recall Robles/Steklenberg being called into action last season, as often as Pickford is this season. The defence did look better last season. He was always busy at Sunderland (granted - a bad example), he is busy at Everton, and he was even busy for England.

Is his lack of communication causing us to look disorganized at the back, which in turn, makes him looks like the hero that saves the day?

Just food for thought.

Exactly. Been saying this for ages.

People gave Joel no credit last year because they said the defence were the reason we kept the cleansheets, not him. Despite the fact the team were poor defensively immediately before he came in and after he was dropped, and despite the fact he had made similar improvements in similar circumstances for 3 consecutive seasons.

But don't let the evidence fool you people... he is a liability, because some people on a forum think he might be.

Even if you believe that the reason the defence performs better when Joel is in goal is because they don't trust him and try harder to compensate, then that is reason enough for me to say that he starts.

But Joel has many understated qualities that are overlooked because of 3 factors he has no control over... Who signed him, who he previously played for, and because apparently he looks gormless. As opposed to Pickford who looks like he should be giving lectures on astrophysics.

Status
Not open for further replies.