2022/23 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might be old fashioned but I don’t want to be the Dortmund of the premier league, rolling over and giving our best players away to rival teams. Rather be a club that holds onto our best players.
But we wouldn’t be that for ever, well that would be the plan.

Even Liverpool sold Suarez, sterling, coutinho to rebuild now they don’t have to sell their stars. What a lot of the top teams did including Liverpool was sell fringe players and youngsters for ridiculous fees to keep growing, with a lot teams now struggling because of Covid abroad and in the championship, it’s halted that a bit and now the likes of them clubs are finding not so easy to shift fringe players.

But we need to improve our academy so it can make us money and get some youngsters into the team.

I know this seems compelling but the finishing numbers are 100% impacted by the shots being low quality. We need overall good attackers. Not just "oh he scores goals" because if we don't add creative play whoever that hypothetical goal scorer is still won't be scoring.

As for keeper Newcastles cost less than what we'll be selling Pickford for. Sell and reinvest.
I understand that, but only Brentford have made more saves then us this season, if that concession number was to slip up a few % points while our scoring numbers stay the same then we are absolutely [Poor language removed]. Offensively we are in bits and as you correctly said, one player wont correct it when they have no one creating chances for them

I might be old fashioned but I don’t want to be the Dortmund of the premier league, rolling over and giving our best players away to rival teams. Rather be a club that holds onto our best players.
Oh, Jimmy. I live in Germany. I soooo wish we could aspire to being the Dortmund of the Premier League. We'd have watched Robert Lewandowski, Erling Haaland, and Marco Reus over the last decade, competed for titles, won cups, and played in Europe every season.

Every club has to sell players - except Real Madrid. Few do it better than Dortmund.

I know this seems compelling but the finishing numbers are 100% impacted by the shots being low quality. We need overall good attackers. Not just "oh he scores goals" because if we don't add creative play whoever that hypothetical goal scorer is still won't be scoring.

As for keeper Newcastles cost less than what we'll be selling Pickford for. Sell and reinvest.
I feel like you were similarly flippant about replacing Richarlison and now I think about it, replacing James and Siggi with the likes of Demari Gray and that went…well, would you say?

I understand that, but only Brentford have made more saves then us this season, if that concession number was to slip up a few % points while our scoring numbers stay the same then we are absolutely [Poor language removed]. Offensively we are in bits and as you correctly said, one player wont correct it when they have no one creating chances for them
That's going to happen regardless of who the keeper is.

I feel like you were similarly flippant about replacing Richarlison and now I think about it, replacing James and Siggi with the likes of Demari Gray and that went…well, would you say?
Yeah I still believe these people are replaceable (with the exception of James but also are you getting more than 15 matches from him?) but we shop at Burnley and Watford. The issue is the scouting, not the quality of those players.

If Pickford goes, and he is way better than some want to admit because of their dislike of him, then we all know that Begovic will end the Number 1 as been Everton we wont try for a new keeper, everyone should know we are totally backwards

Yeah I still believe these people are replaceable (with the exception of James but also are you getting more than 15 matches from him?) but we shop at Burnley and Watford. The issue is the scouting, not the quality of those players.
Part of the issue is undoubtedly the scouting but that doesn’t seem to have changed massively, as you say, we’re still shopping at Burnley and Watford. So the likelihood of us getting a player as good as Pickford when we come to replace him seems, nil. We’ll likely downgrade.

Scouting is only part of the issue. The other is finances, as we saw in the summer it’s not like we sold Richarlison and put all that money to getting one or even two players to replace him, it’s having to balance FFP and go to other areas of the team that also need improvement.

We’re also not in a stable squad position, which is when selling your best players and reinvesting seems least risk. We’re relying on a few players of quality to keep our heads above relegation. Selling them and replacing them with poorer options when you’re in our position is a recipe for disaster.

Part of the issue is undoubtedly the scouting but that doesn’t seem to have changed massively, as you say, we’re still shopping at Burnley and Watford. So the likelihood of us getting a player as good as Pickford when we come to replace him seems, nil. We’ll likely downgrade.

Scouting is only part of the issue. The other is finances, as we saw in the summer it’s not like we sold Richarlison and put all that money to getting one or even two players to replace him, it’s having to balance FFP and go to other areas of the team that also need improvement.

We’re also not in a stable squad position, which is when selling your best players and reinvesting seems least risk. We’re relying on a few players of quality to keep our heads above relegation. Selling them and replacing them with poorer options when you’re in our position is a recipe for disaster.
I just think the whole thing is messed up. If you look at what Brighton do or what Brentford do it's about quantity as much as quality. Just role through talented players and find the ones that fit and work. We look at replacements as one for one when replacing Richarlison should have started years ago by bringing in multiple people.

Twenty games for survival; if we can bring in a good forward and a keeper, it’s the best bet otherwise we’re gambling by weakening at the back.
It's a gamble we have to take IMO. There doesn't appear to be cash available to get forwrs in without a sale.

I just think the whole thing is messed up. If you look at what Brighton do or what Brentford do it's about quantity as much as quality. Just role through talented players and find the ones that fit and work. We look at replacements as one for one when replacing Richarlison should have started years ago by bringing in multiple people.
Now you’ll get no arguments from me there!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.