2019/20 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree he needs to improve drastically (in his brain and attitude and character) but this is not a current priority. I think if we empower Holgate as the leader of the defence or get a new senior CB as the leader, it'll have a positive effect on Pickford. We need the defence to have a strong leader. Keane is getting better, but quiet.
I think many problems in the team will be solved by a much much better Captain. In a successful team, there are several leaders, and the captain is less relevant, but because we need to improve and help players concentrate, follow the tactics, argue with the referee, organise our defence, keep up our motivation, keep calm, get angry...so many things are requiered, but we haven't even got one strong leader. Seamus is an amazing role model, but not proving himself to be a captain I think

I agree he needs to improve drastically (in his brain and attitude and character) but this is not a current priority. I think if we empower Holgate as the leader of the defence or get a new senior CB as the leader, it'll have a positive effect on Pickford. We need the defence to have a strong leader. Keane is getting better, but quiet.
I think many problems in the team will be solved by a much much better Captain. In a successful team, there are several leaders, and the captain is less relevant, but because we need to improve and help players concentrate, follow the tactics, argue with the referee, organise our defence, keep up our motivation, keep calm, get angry...so many things are requiered, but we haven't even got one strong leader. Seamus is an amazing role model, but not proving himself to be a captain I think

I always thought that.

But he was the loudest player on the pitch for most of the behind closed doors games

I thought for a while he wasnt a priority(we have far to many priorities)
But im thinking he maybe is now. A keeper like pickford puts those just in front of him on edge. Defenders need to know the keeper behind them is not a flapper.
And the truth is i dont think it would be that difficult to get a keeper in who could do a job.

Watching some of the games back from the season, and the amount of mistakes and soft goals that were down to Pickford are shocking.
If the club can find a suitable replacement they should do. No point looking into how much he cost, he has sadly become a liability and is getting worse.

Unless he has a massive upturn in form this pre season, I would look to replace him as a priority.

No. They will be solved by much better midfield players.

I actually think if Brands was following the model of "sell high buy low" then Pickford would have been sold when his stock was so high. Age, English #1 etc would have given us a hefty fee.
Unfortunately, Pickford's erratic performances, high profile mistakes and the team's overall poor defensive displays have meant that each season Pickford's value has dropped, in my opinion.
We're not willing or able to lose money on him so he'll be kept and sold later after (or do I mean if) he has a good season and we'll see the money reinvested in a younger keeper again.

Poor old Picky. It could be a similar situation to that other flotsam, Bolassie, i.e. immovable. We could just drop him and forget him until his contract is over. Write it off. Who goes in goal then? Sign one of several 6ft 9 keepers who would be dying to play in the PL and are scattered around.the Championship or Div 3. Qualifications required are very tall, very deaf to drown out the abuse, thick with no access to a computer so he cannot read online abuse, and any colour to assist our diversity count.

unfortunately, it's impossible to drop him unless we have a potential buyer, which seems unlikely.

I think, after Chelsea's Kepa, Pickford may have been the worst first choice keeper in the PL statistically over the course of the season.
He certainly won't have many suitors competing for his services this Summer - we can only hope this was rock bottom and the only way is up from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.