2019/20 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats funny was in the first half I was really thinking how well he did. A magnificent save off Evans, and hardly put a foot wrong the previous 2 games. Then he drops a clanger (not just the one with Keane, but also coming to collect that cross off where Iheanacho nearly scores). Thats just how he is as a keeper I think. He's erratic.

Maybe a move suits all parties best now. If he went to Chelsea, he probably gets tested less, so the mistakes he makes are just a lot less often as it goes near him less. Maybe thats what he needs now?

....I don’t know if his consistency and reliability gets better as he gets older, but even if he cuts the errors out he doesn’t command his area and just looks weak when challenging.

Oh for a Nigel Martyn type keeper - Pickford seems he can’t handle it when he’s not involved. Cracking shot stopper, poor at dealing with crosses and always feels like he’s got an absolute howler in him. What to do - we’ve got other pressing problems such as the midfield to fix before we can go for a keeper

one of the least of our problems. About that mid field, oh and the lack of scoring potential. Well done Carlo with that squad to pick from.

....I don’t know if his consistency and reliability gets better as he gets older, but even if he cuts the errors out he doesn’t command his area and just looks weak when challenging.

I though he did the latter a lot better in the previous 2 games, but then you get a game like today where he just looks erratic to me again. Maybe at Chelseaplayijng in front of Zouma and Rudiger that necessity to command the box goes a bit? I don't know.

My gut feeling is, he's a talented lad who needs a move. I don't think it will work for him here. I'll always try and be fair with him, but like with a lot of our players there's little consistency.

Well played Pickford. You will do fine until we become Champions league contenders, and then we might get more picky if you pardon the pun.

Status
Not open for further replies.