2019/20 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not filled decently though is it mate. He's not even average. " but he's England's no1, he's a good shot stopper, blah, blah, blah". He can't even get the basics right. We're not gonna win the league by replacing him. We probably might not get into the top 6 but it will be a step in the right direction.
Not even average would suggest 10 keepers in the league are better than him. So over to you to name the ten.

If the team is playing well and looking solid then Pickford plays well and looks solid as he is protected from crosses and balls into dangerous areas. In those games he only has to make saves and is generally reliable. When the rest of the team is struggling, Pickford is exposed by his team mates and also his own decision making and it's for the latter reason that I don't think he's a genuinely top class keeper. He's not as bad as some make out but if we could turn a decent profit on him we should cash in.

Allison, loris, de gea, Chelsea feller, fabianski, ederson, heaton, Leno, patricio, Romero

Nothing to suggest the bolded are any better than Pickford. Would include Romero but think hes a decent keeper without the motivation to play.

Jordan is quick off his line for low efforts/attacks but doesnt command his area. Obviously he can't come for crosses, not really his fault, he's never going to be dominant in that respect due to his height.

Which for while we are so vulnerable on crosses, that lack of cross catching gets highlighted further.

He's not helped by the fact the defence are absolutely useless aerially as well.

Nothing to suggest the bolded are any better than Pickford. Would include Romero but think hes a decent keeper without the motivation to play.

Jordan is quick off his line for low efforts/attacks but doesnt command his area. Obviously he can't come for crosses, not really his fault, he's never going to be dominant in that respect due to his height.

Which for while we are so vulnerable on crosses, that lack of cross catching gets highlighted further.

He's not helped by the fact the defence are absolutely useless aerially as well.
Chelsea feller undoubtedly better imo, heaton is a more steady keeper, fabianski I think is so underrated easily been west hams best player since he's been there and Leno I think on his day is a better keeper but he too has a ridiculous amount of mistakes in him.

for me pickfords just way too up and down to ever be anything more than a decent keeper

The people who criticise Pickford generally don't have an appreciation of what other 'keepers do as they don't watch them 90 minutes every week.

Pickford is a good 'keeper. Very good in fact. The truth is he's still a very young 'keeper; they peak generally in their 30s. He's an established England international - even against City when he made mistakes he still made several good saves too.

I ask the people who want rid of him, who genuinely is better than him who is realistic in terms of bringing in? I know this is hypocrisy in a way as I laugh at that argument with managers, but in this case there's genuinely very few goalkeepers who don't also make mistakes that are better than Pickford overall.

Should he be dropped at the moment? Not for me no - but should he be criticised? Absolutely. He hasn't been good enough lately, but it's form rather than overall ability that's the problem.
If another mid-table club is ever willing to pay in the region of £30-40m for Pickford, I would happily take it and buy someone like Sirigu.

I'm sure that there are plenty of other competent options out there, but I only really follow Serie A outside of England.

With some of these I'm not sure if it is down to not watching them play often or just pure Evertonian negativity but flipping out about Pickford making mistakes and then wanting Arrizabalaga or Lloris is senseless.
Not saying i'd want them, but in fairness it's hard to scoff at the idea of them being better than him. I originally looked at the 'below average' comment and thought i'm not having that, but when you see it written like that, you could put up a decent argument that he's not in the top 10 keepers in the league.

Not saying i'd want them, but in fairness it's hard to scoff at the idea of them being better than him. I originally looked at the 'below average' comment and thought i'm not having that, but when you see it written like that, you could put up a decent argument that he's not in the top 10 keepers in the league.
I really don't think you can. Unless you are watching every game every week and seeing all the little mistakes other keepers make you will always think your keeper makes more than most.

Plus we are saying he made mistakes against City when he really didn't at all. Not quite getting to a shot that goes in within a foot of the post isn't an error and neither is deflecting a cross from close range and having it go to an unmarked player.

I really don't think you can. Unless you are watching every game every week and seeing all the little mistakes other keepers make you will always think your keeper makes more than most.

Plus we are saying he made mistakes against City when he really didn't at all. Not quite getting to a shot that goes in within a foot of the post isn't an error and neither is deflecting a cross from close range and having it go to an unmarked player.
I haven't said he made any mistakes?

I'm just saying that when someone actually posted the names of keepers they thought were better than him, none of them made me think 'no way'. You might think he's better than Kepa or Fabianski, but there'll be plenty who disagree. I'm not saying it to complain about him, just pointing out that the very fact it's debatable probably tells it's own story.

If another mid-table club is ever willing to pay in the region of £30-40m for Pickford, I would happily take it and buy someone like Sirigu.

I'm sure that there are plenty of other competent options out there, but I only really follow Serie A outside of England.
Also, fans are perfectly entitled to have an opinion of a player without having done the same level of research as a professional scouting network on a possible replacement. Always found that to be a really weird defence

Status
Not open for further replies.