2018/19 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly cant think of a game where he's been the game saver.
Me neither but my point still stands, He has 10 years left in him and is a position we don't need to worry about for a long time. No he isn't elite but he's good enough.

any team in the premier league would want their goalie to do what Pickford did (vs Ings) - absolutely a non-issue.

I notice Hughes never mentioned the 5 yellow cards his team go for blatantly kicking our players. They certainly got away with it, they could easily have had one or more sent off.

He`s in the same bracket of manager as Allardyce mate.

Disgusting, achieved nothing of note, yet somehow manages to find work on a regular basis.

He has no credibility anymore and no one listens to him.

Ok, on reflection I made too big a deal out of the "dangerous" action part of that clearance by Pickford. It was never in the "Schumacher" category and I hold my hands up to that and apologise.

However, there IS a legitimate concern here about a GK making excitable decisions.

All told (and WC aside) I thought Pickford had a fairly undistinguised first season here at Everton and I've seen nothing this season that makes me feel we've got a top class GK. Perfectly acceptable for where we are now as a club? Yes. Is he someone we need to be overly concerned about losing in near future transfer windows? No, not for me.
Well if he can get his own players to vote him player of the season, he becomes England Number One against the odds, widely accepted as the second or third best keeper in the World Cup, very much helps his team get to World Cup Semi Final, has a massive impact in getting the club to 8th (accepted by many professionals in and out of the club) and with leading ex goalkeepers around the world saying he is a real talent, then I cannot wait till he gets better if that is a fairly undistinguished season. He has some faults definitely, he is six years before his peak as a keeper. Dave, when you post these points of view, it would really help if you could back it up with evidence. I know you don't care, but it would stop some of the unfair criticism of your views, Pickford simply did not have an undistinguished season - there is nothing that indicates that.

Well if he can get his own players to vote him player of the season, he becomes England Number One against the odds, widely accepted as the second or third best keeper in the World Cup, very much helps his team get to World Cup Semi Final, has a massive impact in getting the club to 8th (accepted by many professionals in and out of the club) and with leading ex goalkeepers around the world saying he is a real talent, then I cannot wait till he gets better if that is a fairly undistinguished season. He has some faults definitely, he is six years before his peak as a keeper. Dave, when you post these points of view, it would really help if you could back it up with evidence. I know you don't care, but it would stop some of the unfair criticism of your views, Pickford simply did not have an undistinguished season - there is nothing that indicates that.

I conceded he had a good WC for England. But his first season here wasn't anything special.

I reiterate that I think he's a good GK but we have a problem on our hands if he's starting to believe he's making the right decisions at the moment, and it looks like the praise he's received for his "great distribution" from know-nothing pundits is going to cost us a lot of possession until Silva or whoever tell him to knock it on the head.

Nobody's. He did well in the world cup, had his entitled holiday time afterwards and still came back early.

If the choice is an unfit Pickford or a match fit Stekelenburg then I know what I'd pick.

(Spoiler: It's not the dodgy dutchman with his ghost limbs.)
Didn't come back early enough.

I conceded he had a good WC for England. But his first season here wasn't anything special.

I reiterate that I think he's a good GK but we have a problem on our hands if he's starting to believe he's making the right decisions at the moment, and it looks like the praise he's received for his "great distribution" from know-nothing pundits is going to cost us a lot of possession until Silva or whoever tell him to knock it on the head.

Silva will sort it Dave, nothing for you to worry about.

Not sure Chris Kirkland, Rio Ferdinand, Nigel Martyn, Peter Shilton, David Moyes, Wayne Rooney and many many more leading players in the world over the past 30 years would argue with you that his distribution is rubbish. Decision making sometime yes, but I'm going to go with two of the best goalkeepers England have ever had over your opinion. He is not great, but he is very very good with occasional lapses.

Not sure Chris Kirkland, Rio Ferdinand, Nigel Martyn, Peter Shilton, David Moyes, Wayne Rooney and many many more leading players in the world over the past 30 years would argue with you that his distribution is rubbish. Decision making sometime yes, but I'm going to go with two of the best goalkeepers England have ever had over your opinion. He is not great, but he is very very good with occasional lapses.

I really hope you don't mean Kirkland as one of the best ever England keepers there....

Pickford is obviously boss generally but he does do some very weird things at times. That should be rectified with age and experience though.

Status
Not open for further replies.