John Stones transfer saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
...maybe, maybe not. And that's a fair bit off. Can you see Stones starting at CB next summer for England?

This club cant afford to turn this money down. Ideally we could. But we have owners who wont give the tv revenue cash over to the manager that should be given to him. We always have to factor that into any situation over player sales. It's not right, of course. But it is the reality.

I admire RMs position on this, btw. I'm just not sure it's what's right for this season. There will be many furious fans at the end of this window when we dont get targets in, but the two issues are interlinked.

Bobby is clearly planning on putting a young team together that can compete and maybe even win things :eek:

If he sells these youngsters as soon as others see that they are good then his strategy is doomed to fail. If that is the case then there is simply no way that he could entertain the notion of selling unless he agrees that his role is to manage a feeder club.

I do disagree with it. Approaching £50M! Martinez would have to be barking mad not to take that if the money was promised to him (or even £30M of it).

How is all this business mixed up in your mind with Martinez having to leave?

This is the football industry mate. RM has said money cant buy everything, but every player has his price. To me, if his statement last night concentrated minds at Chelsea to cough up over £40M then he's pulled off a masterstroke.

The problem is the players available aren't of the same calibre plus we're going to have to pay a premium to bring them in this late in the window. Look at the defenders we've been linked with; Dante is finished, Fazio is woeful, Evans is just above average, Williams would be good but isn't available. The only deal I could see working that's been mentioned so far would involve Stones going to United with cash and Phil Jones coming to us but that still doesn't sit well with me.

I've been thinking about this.

On paper, we can't afford to turn down the £40m but, with limited time to reinvest (and the usual question marks as to how much of it we will use on new players), will we improve the squad by selling Stones?

I think we would have a better season by keeping stones than selling him. If he is still in demand next season, then he will command a similar (if not higher) trasnfer fee.
I agree mate. Now it would be a mad dash. It should have been done earlier (although we can thank Chelsea for that). Still, spending tens of millions in the final 2/3 days of this window is preferable to getting a loan deal done on one player...which I suspect is where we're headed.

We could leave it until later, but IMO he wont handle this situation well and his defensive work (already ropey) wont get any better. I can see this as being the peak moment of value on Stones for us to exploit.

I'd honestly get the job done now if it meant spending it now. If, on the other hand, it meant those shysters in the boardroom banking it, then defo keep hold of him. That would be the only consideration for me though.

Suppose so........

giphy.gif

I think Martinez is seizing the moment here. The Premier League is so overflowed with Sky money now clubs CAN say no deal. And he wants us to do just that, and have a crack at building something.

Fair play.

Does it look that way to you right now with £5M spent this summer?

Actually, yes. With the Vibrac loans and so on, this situation five years ago would have resulted in Stones being sold pretty quickly.

And next season it gets even bigger.

What's the point in trying to outspend the top four? We have no chance of doing so - so why not sell the chaff, bring in wheat and grow the club the right way.

I'm convinced that's Martinezs strategy, and it's a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.