John Barnes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jondel

Player Valuation: £1m
There's just been a programme on TV called Out of Their Skin. It's about black players and abuse they have had to endure over the years. John Barnes made a special point of mentioning Everton as being really bad. I am not condoning racist abuse by our fans in any way or form and I am ashamed of some of them but the same player was racially abused by his own fans. I remember just before he signed for the rs quite a lot of their fans were saying if he signed they would never go to the match again. I think it was their first game he played in against Arsenal his own fans were throwing bananas at him on the pitch. But no they're the best fans in the world. But what would you expect from Barnes he hates Everton. I also remember the awful racial abuse Mike Trebilcock got off the rs fans when I was a kid. They also gave one of their young players Howard Gayle terrible racial abuse years ago. As I said I am not condoning racial abuse but Barnes unfortunately probably got abuse at quite a few grounds but he always loves to mention Everton. He will never say he got abuse off his own fans.

There's just been a programme on TV called Out of Their Skin. It's about black players and abuse they have had to endure over the years. John Barnes made a special point of mentioning Everton as being really bad. I am not condoning racist abuse by our fans in any way or form and I am ashamed of some of them but the same player was racially abused by his own fans. I remember just before he signed for the rs quite a lot of their fans were saying if he signed they would never go to the match again. I think it was their first game he played in against Arsenal his own fans were throwing bananas at him on the pitch. But no they're the best fans in the world. But what would you expect from Barnes he hates Everton. I also remember the awful racial abuse Mike Trebilcock got off the rs fans when I was a kid. They also gave one of their young players Howard Gayle terrible racial abuse years ago. As I said I am not condoning racial abuse but Barnes unfortunately probably got abuse at quite a few grounds but he always loves to mention Everton. He will never say he got abuse off his own fans.

three is no such thing as racial abuse from fellow cult members. merely diferences of opinión on tactics.

To be fair to Barnes, I know from speaking to me ma that went those games she always said the abuse Barnes got was horrific. Others I know have said similar. He might be a nob about most things but I've got no doubt that he's right there.

To be fair to Barnes, I know from speaking to me ma that went those games she always said the abuse Barnes got was horrific. Others I know have said similar. He might be a nob about most things but I've got no doubt that he's right there.
It went on that's a fact, not just with him either , viv Anderson was another one , and I could list a load of others ,man city goalkeeper ect.
I would say seventies to early eighties it was really bad and infact looking back ,I think the fans played up to it for a while , it wasnt a small minority either at times.
Although the likes of Chelsea, Leeds , ect were every bit as bad or worse, including the RS before he came , it was us that the reputation stook to.
Want helped by the fact most ,not all of are hooligan element were young white males ,and notorious hard on visiting ethnic hooligans from other teams.
No use trying to repaint history, it happened, but the club and the fanbase have moved on and unlike some teams we owned up to it and learned are lessons , today it's still there in small pockets ,like in the wider society but it's not widespread and certainly not the vast majority of are fanbase.
Cant take to Barnes at all , he has skeleton's in his closet as well, but I doubt he would own up to them.
But he is right on this , it happened.

I recall a semi final Watford v Plymouth at villa park.
You can still hear the monkey chants when he got the ball on YouTube.
Clyde Best got worse abuse from his own fans.
The lad from Chelsea, similar but not as bad.

....you can’t defend the throwing of bananas at Barnes when he played at Goodison. i distinctly remember a Liverpool fan saying they wouldn’t go and watch their team now they had a black man playing.

No excuses but a different culture then and whilst things are far from perfect, it is a sign that things have progressed in the right direction.

Stevie Me got a fair load of abuse for the parentage of his children, this gets no media coverage because?

We all hear individuals hurling abuse at players generally if in own team because he made a mistake if the opposition because he is playing well against us. These comments don't necessarily make these individuals racist, homophobic or any other label we want to give them, it just makes them ill thinking idiots.

As society is so multi cultural there are so few families now that do not have an individual of ethnicity or gay or just different in their families, this is the new norm.

it always seems to be the older individuals who have had the real racist comments thrown at them but they will never admit that it is not as bad now.

Racism, homophobia etal is always not welcome at GP but it is so much better that in his day.

He is also one of the main protaganists in the fight for equal opportunities for BAME players for managers jobs but says they do not get the opportunity! I think he had the opportunity on several occasions and blew it.

All racists, homophobics should when identified be punished and educated, but as a no racist, non homophobe I get sick of it getting shoved in my face because I am straight and white.

I hated John Barnes because he was good not because he was black!

I hated Stevie Me because he was good not because he was white!

It went on that's a fact, not just with him either , viv Anderson was another one , and I could list a load of others ,man city goalkeeper ect.
I would say seventies to early eighties it was really bad and infact looking back ,I think the fans played up to it for a while , it wasnt a small minority either at times.
Although the likes of Chelsea, Leeds , ect were every bit as bad or worse, including the RS before he came , it was us that the reputation stook to.
Want helped by the fact most ,not all of are hooligan element were young white males ,and notorious hard on visiting ethnic hooligans from other teams.
No use trying to repaint history, it happened, but the club and the fanbase have moved on and unlike some teams we owned up to it and learned are lessons , today it's still there in small pockets ,like in the wider society but it's not widespread and certainly not the vast majority of are fanbase.
Cant take to Barnes at all , he has skeleton's in his closet as well, but I doubt he would own up to them.
But he is right on this , it happened.
All black players got terrible abuse in the 70's. I rememeber one of the worst was towards Clyde Best who got it all through the match, then scored an absolute belter of a goal going past about 5 players. The ground fell silent for a moment then a massive round of applause went around.

Stevie Me got a fair load of abuse for the parentage of his children, this gets no media coverage because?

We all hear individuals hurling abuse at players generally if in own team because he made a mistake if the opposition because he is playing well against us. These comments don't necessarily make these individuals racist, homophobic or any other label we want to give them, it just makes them ill thinking idiots.

As society is so multi cultural there are so few families now that do not have an individual of ethnicity or gay or just different in their families, this is the new norm.

it always seems to be the older individuals who have had the real racist comments thrown at them but they will never admit that it is not as bad now.

Racism, homophobia etal is always not welcome at GP but it is so much better that in his day.

He is also one of the main protaganists in the fight for equal opportunities for BAME players for managers jobs but says they do not get the opportunity! I think he had the opportunity on several occasions and blew it.

All racists, homophobics should when identified be punished and educated, but as a no racist, non homophobe I get sick of it getting shoved in my face because I am straight and white.

I hated John Barnes because he was good not because he was black!

I hated Stevie Me because he was good not because he was white!
Oh boy...

Status
Not open for further replies.