John Bailey

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Jeez - same here! And more relieved that it wasn't THAT news.

Last time I saw him before Christmas he was all good again. Had some serious health issues about 18 months ago but he's fine now. Still one of the funniest blokes and a great entertainer. Always got a story and dyed in blood Evertonian. Howard's lovechild as other members of the '85 team call him.

One of my favourite stories is wjen he was on a preseason tour in America and rooming with Gary Stanley. Stanley was a ladies man and, well, Bails in jos own words was a bit wet behind the ears in comparison. So Stanley brings a girl back to their room and Bails is feeling like a spare part when Stanley says you can join us if you go and get some coke. So John leaves the room and comes back 10 mins later. By this time Stanley is let's say in the flow with the girl and more than a bit surprised with Bails returning. He jumps off the bed, starkers and goes "Wtf?" to which Bails replies, "I got Diet Coke as well but I couldn't get any ice".

Seen him twice in the past at after dinner events.

Both time absolutely bladdered to the point that on one of them Mountfield had to put him a cab during the half time break.

Next to the other ex players, he looked like a down and out.

Took the shine of off both events tbh.

Sounds bad, but I'm surprised he's still here.

He always jokingly says he was the best left back everton ever had but was replaced by a central defender who couldn't touch him on a footie pitch.
We've spoke to John on loads of occasions, at players when hes been on or just turns up and sits with us fans for ages chatting about the blues. In the pubs on county Rd when we're all more than happy to have a drink and listen to his stories and in town in random days when you bump into him and he's more than a friendly fella to have a pint with. Really nice guy and if you get the chance to buy him a pint and have a chat to him it's well worth it, probably loves everton more than anyone I know and is more than happy to share his stories;)

I compare every left back for Everton next pat vdh and no one has come anywhere near him.

...I'm a big fan, Paul, he was a Rolls Royce of a footballer and let's not forget he played CB for almost an entire season for that 2nd title win. Saying that, I'm old and was fortunate to see plenty of Ray Wilson. Wilson was the best but after him I can't disagree with you.

He rolled (literally) up at Bristol City.

Became a firm favourite when he scored probably the most terrible goal ever against Bristol Rovers!

...I'm a big fan, Paul, he was a Rolls Royce of a footballer and let's not forget he played CB for almost an entire season for that 2nd title win. Saying that, I'm old and was fortunate to see plenty of Ray Wilson. Wilson was the best but after him I can't disagree with you.
We'll never see another Wilson Eggs mate sadly!

I wasn't lucky enough to see ray,so I will take your word on that just a bit before me Ramon.

Did he not have a spat with Gazza at the barcodes
A good professional IMO
Done what was asked on the park
He did come across as a character which we need more of these days

He's a genuinely lovely man. You can say hello to him on a matchday on Goodison Road, he's always there. Very approachable.

The goal he scored at Goodison vs Luton in 1982 was class:

He always jokingly says he was the best left back everton ever had but was replaced by a central defender who couldn't touch him on a footie pitch.
We've spoke to John on loads of occasions, at players when hes been on or just turns up and sits with us fans for ages chatting about the blues. In the pubs on county Rd when we're all more than happy to have a drink and listen to his stories and in town in random days when you bump into him and he's more than a friendly fella to have a pint with. Really nice guy and if you get the chance to buy him a pint and have a chat to him it's well worth it, probably loves everton more than anyone I know and is more than happy to share his stories;)
Agree with this.quite a regular in players is John,last year after the united game the day Howard died,he was the guest and you could see his heart breaking in front of us as he tried to fight back tears.

Status
Not open for further replies.