John Bailey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good player IMHO, very underrated...a bit like Kevin Richardson.

Big Nev speaks very highly of him in his autobiography.

...we were in different schools but the same school year and got sent for Liverpool Schoolboys trials at Penny Lane. I put a ball into the box and he came in from the left and scored. He went crazy. Everybody else was being really serious. We got the 46 bus home together and all he was saying was "do you think we'll get in". Lovely, enthusiastic lad. He didn't get selected but went through the youth system at Blackburn. Fond memory.

When I first saw this thread title I feared he'd passed away, because I know he's had a few issues since retirement

It says all you need to know about him that, just after we'd won the FA Cup in 1984, he took the time to wish Liverpool luck in the European Cup Final, because he wanted all the trophies to come to Merseyside. Would an Emlyn Hughes or Steven Gerrard have done similar? I think we all know the answer, but apparently we're the bitter ones

That hat as well lol lol lol

When I first saw this thread title I feared he'd passed away, because I know he's had a few issues since retirement

It says all you need to know about him that, just after we'd won the FA Cup in 1984, he took the time to wish Liverpool luck in the European Cup Final, because he wanted all the trophies to come to Merseyside. Would an Emlyn Hughes or Steven Gerrard have done similar? I think we all know the answer, but apparently we're the bitter ones

He supported Liverpool when young, and had trials but wasn't picked.

P

Jeez - same here! And more relieved that it wasn't THAT news.

Last time I saw him before Christmas he was all good again. Had some serious health issues about 18 months ago but he's fine now. Still one of the funniest blokes and a great entertainer. Always got a story and dyed in blood Evertonian. Howard's lovechild as other members of the '85 team call him.

One of my favourite stories is wjen he was on a preseason tour in America and rooming with Gary Stanley. Stanley was a ladies man and, well, Bails in jos own words was a bit wet behind the ears in comparison. So Stanley brings a girl back to their room and Bails is feeling like a spare part when Stanley says you can join us if you go and get some coke. So John leaves the room and comes back 10 mins later. By this time Stanley is let's say in the flow with the girl and more than a bit surprised with Bails returning. He jumps off the bed, starkers and goes "Wtf?" to which Bails replies, "I got Diet Coke as well but I couldn't get any ice".

P

Jeez - same here! And more relieved that it wasn't THAT news.

Last time I saw him before Christmas he was all good again. Had some serious health issues about 18 months ago but he's fine now. Still one of the funniest blokes and a great entertainer. Always got a story and dyed in blood Evertonian. Howard's lovechild as other members of the '85 team call him.

One of my favourite stories is wjen he was on a preseason tour in America and rooming with Gary Stanley. Stanley was a ladies man and, well, Bails in jos own words was a bit wet behind the ears in comparison. So Stanley brings a girl back to their room and Bails is feeling like a spare part when Stanley says you can join us if you go and get some coke. So John leaves the room and comes back 10 mins later. By this time Stanley is let's say in the flow with the girl and more than a bit surprised with Bails returning. He jumps off the bed, starkers and goes "Wtf?" to which Bails replies, "I got Diet Coke as well but I couldn't get any ice".

HaHa!!!

Solid player. But Howard knew his limitations. And he replaced him with who I believe still to be the best left back I have ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.