2020/21 Joao Virginia

Status
Not open for further replies.
We lived up in the South - East at the time Groucho about 20 mins from Reading, we knew a fair few Reading fans and they said they had never seen anything like him he was that bad, to be fair like he's still only a young lad.
I remember John Ruddy looked a bit like that in his rare appearances for us, and yet he went on to earn an England cap. He might never be a worldie, but if he could be a decent backup keeper then that's no bad thing.

It now looks unlikely that Olsen wants to stay and for me he wasn't the right man to challenge Pickford. This means I would play this lad until Pickford is fit and if he does well use him as rotation instead of Olsen. I still think he should only be 3rd choice next season but think he should play EFL Cup and EFL trophy if we enter a team in that next season. If Pickford loses the battle and wants away at the end of next season hopefully Virginia will then be ready to step up as number 2.

....the team did a fantastic job of protecting him. He made one terrific save when called upon, but he’s a professional goalkeeper & I’d hope he’d have that in his locker. I’d be very careful of thinking he’s the second coming.

What I’ve seen of him at U23 level, he’s just not very good.
Haha I love how some people make decisions off the 90 just gone instead of looking at him as a whole. TBF to him coming back from Reading could have ruined him, i thought he looked fairly comfortable last night which is a big compliment, I thought he would have been very nervy but he was calm. Impressed but a very small sample size.

Haha I love how some people make decisions off the 90 just gone instead of looking at him as a whole. TBF to him coming back from Reading could have ruined him, i thought he looked fairly comfortable last night which is a big compliment, I thought he would have been very nervy but he was calm. Impressed but a very small sample size.

....City aren’t the type of side to put keepers under pressure lumping balls into the box. Virginia is calamitous, he’s not commanding.

....City aren’t the type of side to put keepers under pressure lumping balls into the box. Virginia is calamitous, he’s not commanding.
I haven't seen enough to comment, only that he did well last night but I see your point, i take it high balls are not his strong point which is a worry.

....the team did a fantastic job of protecting him. He made one terrific save when called upon, but he’s a professional goalkeeper & I’d hope he’d have that in his locker. I’d be very careful of thinking he’s the second coming.

What I’ve seen of him at U23 level, he’s just not very good.
He looked absolute crap at Reading but he deserves a fair crack, No one thinks he's the second coming but sometimes players step up or take the loan mistakes on board and improve.
I want to see him start more games before we definitely make a call on him.

I haven't seen enough to comment, only that he did well last night but I see your point, i take it high balls are not his strong point which is a worry.

....he did fine last night. Goalkeepers usually mature with age, so he might improve but from what I’ve seen at U23 level there are not many aspects of his game that give me much hope.

We have to fulfill fixtures at youth level so need a few keepers below the first team to enable this. I have thought he was given a new deal to enable this more than serious consideration he’s one for the future.

i‘d be chuffed if everybody is right & he is the real deal but I have my doubts.

A bit iffy on high crosses, and his kicking out needs some work. But I thought he looked quite a decent prospect, he needs experience obviously, but hopefully keeps improving. His extra height is a benefit too, I'm not sure Pickford would have got a fingertip on that save he made, which was top class.

Status
Not open for further replies.