2019/20 Jean-Philippe Gbamin

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was decent, lots to improve but that will come with time. Forced into the team with little practice, away, first PL match, at a decent side. It's not like he Gylfied--I mean ghosted--or he grabbed a pair of yellows and a sixer of Kronenbourg for the bus ride home.

Whilst I understand this, it comes back to why I thought the window was disappointing - because we were relying on too many 'x factors' to work in our favour, or we'd have massive holes in the team.

Expecting this lad to come into the team and replace Gana was suicidal. I understand why we were in for Doucoure - it was the right target - but we failed.

I actually liked what I saw of Gbamin for about four minutes. He looked composed, good stature - but then Palace figured out he was playing 50% off the pace and that was the end of it. He'll come good but it'll be a good six months before he does I reckon.

True. But his positional sense was very concerning too, he never seemed to be in the middle - which can't be attributed to not being fit enough.

He just got here. He doesn't know his team-mates. He doesn't know the system. He doesn't know the league. He's a number 6 who had another number 6 right next to him trying to do all the job he thought he was supposed to be doing.

If ever a player deserved a pass for a less than stellar debut it was him today in that environment with all those circumstances.

He just got here. He doesn't know his team-mates. He doesn't know the system. He doesn't know the league. He's a number 6 who had another number 6 right next to him trying to do all the job he thought he was supposed to be doing.

If ever a player deserved a pass for a less than stellar debut it was him today in that environment with all those circumstances.
This yeah. Guy looked completely overwhelmed by the pace of proceedings and in heavy conditions by that storm

First game after moving country and joining a new team and new league. Give the lad a chance, going to take a bit of time to get comfortable and did ok considering.

Whilst I understand this, it comes back to why I thought the window was disappointing - because we were relying on too many 'x factors' to work in our favour, or we'd have massive holes in the team.

Expecting this lad to come into the team and replace Gana was suicidal. I understand why we were in for Doucoure - it was the right target - but we failed.

I actually liked what I saw of Gbamin for about four minutes. He looked composed, good stature - but then Palace figured out he was playing 50% off the pace and that was the end of it. He'll come good but it'll be a good six months before he does I reckon.

I don't think Silva expected him to come in a replace Gana in the first match 8 days after joining the club.

I presume he wanted Delph, who was injured. Then I presume he wanted Schneiderlin, who was minging, but that's a different story. He stuck him in over Davies, which was interesting. So Silva's midfield depth is (presumably) then:

Gomes
Delph
Schneiderlin
Gbamin
Davies

All of this can change in a few weeks, but really silly to overreact because he couldn't put passes together. It's not like it didn't take Gana more than a year to learn to pass forward.

I don't think Silva expected him to come in a replace Gana in the first match 8 days after joining the club.

I presume he wanted Delph, who was injured. Then I presume he wanted Schneiderlin, who was minging, but that's a different story. He stuck him in over Davies, which was interesting. So Silva's midfield depth is (presumably) then:

Gomes
Delph
Schneiderlin
Gbamin
Davies

All of this can change in a few weeks, but really silly to overreact because he couldn't put passes together. It's not like it didn't take Gana more than a year to learn to pass forward.

When Gana came in he was pretty much instantly brilliant, as he benefited from adjusting to the pace of the league at Villa. We brought him in as everything clicked into place.

I'm not criticising Gbamin at all, or Silva really. Indeed, he reminded me of Fellaini when he came in, and he turned out great. No, what I'm saying it comes down to a poor transfer window - we've bought in too many 'x factor' players, that's the only way I can describe them. It's why the likes of Huddersfield etc. go down, because they buy cheap foreign imports and they go full on Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink and do nothing for at least a year.

Great post

Was doing alright until he was dispossessed then went into a shell. Still got his foot in a few times but think he was taken by surprise by the speed of the game. I have no worries about him as he has just faced one of the most physical sides in the league.

Of course he gets a pass its Silva's fault for me. I think people are just naturally going to compare him to Gana as Gbamin is his replacement. Except Gana is the best in his position and had a fantastic debut.

0 point slagging him off for a game he shouldn't have even been a part of.

Pretty sure i heard the other day he's had no pre season so hardly unexpected he'd be way off it physically.

Only worry for me was being caught twice easily by Benteke, needs to learn quick you don't get time on the ball like in Germany, he gets fitter and learns from this then we can judge him.

Status
Not open for further replies.