2023/24 Jarrad Branthwaite

From BBC Sport

Having recently been handed the England U21 captaincy in last month’s European Championships qualifying win over Northern Ireland, Branthwaite’s stock is surely high amongst the national team coaching staff at St George’s Park.

Current statistics suggest it wouldn’t be a complete shock should his form see his name be brought into the Euro 2024 conversation. Amongst English Premier League defenders, Brainthwaite sits joint top for the number of clearances made this season, and lies second for aerial duels, aerial duels won, and interceptions. The only fellow country man ahead of him on those lists, his team-mate James Tarkowski.

From BBC Sport

Having recently been handed the England U21 captaincy in last month’s European Championships qualifying win over Northern Ireland, Branthwaite’s stock is surely high amongst the national team coaching staff at St George’s Park.

Current statistics suggest it wouldn’t be a complete shock should his form see his name be brought into the Euro 2024 conversation. Amongst English Premier League defenders, Brainthwaite sits joint top for the number of clearances made this season, and lies second for aerial duels, aerial duels won, and interceptions. The only fellow country man ahead of him on those lists, his team-mate James Tarkowski.
What’s the reason Tarly doesn’t get called up? I know there’s something like he’s committed international harikari

What’s the reason Tarly doesn’t get called up? I know there’s something like he’s committed international harikari
Given England's problems there, I'm surprised too. But even after just a few short months in the first team, you can see Branthwaite makes more sense at international level. He's a class act.

He did pretty well to fill-in, I thought. He was never going to be whipping crosses in like you might expect from a modern left back, but he's a great defender. Uses his body strength really well and deceptively quick. Shame he didn't score his header, but I think the defender probably just did enough to make him hesitate.