2023/24 Jarrad Branthwaite

….the aspiration is always to bring in ‘elite’ footballers. We’re spending £40m on Beto and Chermiti, I’m sure Thelwell wanted them to be good.

The irony is that two of our most sellable assets cost £1m each, DCL and Branthwaite. Elite players don’t always cost elite money, it’s where a DOF earns his corn.

of course they do.

branthwaite or DCL weren't "elite" players when we signed them, they were promosing youngsters that SOMETIMES work, most of the time they don't.

They weren't elite players when we brought them in though. We had to develop them and it took a bit of time. I wouldn't call them elite players either, just good top flight players. Branthwaite might become a top player in time because I don't think he's close to reaching his peak yet.

If you want to sign an elite player, rather than a player who might be developed into a top player, it costs huge amounts of money in the modern game. Money which we don't have, which is why developing players into really good players is our only option, but it's not easy either.

@Eggs the others have responded on your second point.

In terms of Chermiti you were slating Mykolenko not long ago and I could 'see' something there and can in Chermiti also.

Never know...can be wrong, can be right. I wouldnt write him off yet.

Beto though...is similar to DCL with pressing and lack of finishing ability at the top level.

…happy with signing very effective footballers for Everton, don’t really get this ‘elite’ tag. Thing is with DCL and Branthwaite you could see they had what it takes. I watched DCL play one of his first games for the U21s and forecast he’d play in the first team before Christmas, which he did. Branthwaite looked the real deal.

Still waiting on a ‘that’ll do me‘ moment for Chermiti. I’m concerned the Portuguese clubs are a hunting ground for talent, yet clubs weren’t queueing for him. Sporting had him on their conveyor belt yet brought in Gyrokeres for £25m, they were keen on pushing Chermiti out, even if they had to wait 12 months for their money.

Just buy good footballers.

Sporting needed someone immediate.

Chermiti and another were in the reserves but after injury/suspension it was a toss up who would deputise...Chermiti was at the end of his deal so told the management he would only sign an extension if they brought him into the first team.

He got some minutes then starts but wasnt considered an immediate 1st choice so they got Gyokeres.

Sporting are a good side.

Still waiting on a ‘that’ll do me‘ moment for Chermiti. I’m concerned the Portuguese clubs are a hunting ground for talent, yet clubs weren’t queueing for him. Sporting had him on their conveyor belt yet brought in Gyrokeres for £25m, they were keen on pushing Chermiti out, even if they had to wait 12 months for their money.
dont think it was a case of them actively wanting him out, they have slipped down the table in recent years, and had the chance to sell a promising younster who might or might not make it at the top level and sign a player who would go straight into their first team and score goals, to improve their standing.

which has worked, because they are a point off top with a game in hand, gyokerers has got 13 in 16, which goes back to your point on thelwell "wasting" money on beto and chermiti, wasnt gyokerers our number one target but we either couldnt pay the fee or he turned us down>?

@Eggs the others have responded on your second point.

In terms of Chermiti you were slating Mykolenko not long ago and I could 'see' something there and can in Chermiti also.

Never know...can be wrong, can be right. I wouldnt write him off yet.

Beto though...is similar to DCL with pressing and lack of finishing ability at the top level.
In no way is Beto similar to DCL, DCL is a completely different class of striker.

How come when we buy in January we play over the odds, yet when we sell we think that we will get more money in the summer.
It's not that I think players go for more in the summer window, it's that Branthwaite's performances between January and July will warrant a higher fee. There is also the fact that we are a far better team with him in it and we're right up against it with the points deduction so need the best possible team on the pitch.

Anyone advocating selling Branthwaite in January is a loon, imo.

In no way is Beto similar to DCL, DCL is a completely different class of striker.

Are they both good at pressing? YES

Are either of them consistent goalscorers in the premier league? NO

Whats your disagreement here?

It's not that I think players go for more in the summer window, it's that Branthwaite's performances between January and July will warrant a higher fee. There is also the fact that we are a far better team with him in it and we're right up against it with the points deduction so need the best possible team on the pitch.

£125mil fee, invested in new players and id still rather we kept him.

Worth the admisson fee as a top defender.

if someone came in desperate with a loaded offer I not sure we are in a position to turn that down.

Are they both good at pressing? YES

Are either of them consistent goalscorers in the premier league? NO

Whats your disagreement here?

£125mil fee, invested in new players and id still rather we kept him.

Worth the admisson fee as a top defender.
The disagreement is that DCL is clearly a miles better player. He has 50 premier league goals. He is a proven premier league striker that virtually any team would want in their squad absent his injury record. He's scored a few in international football too. He isn't Lukaku but he's closer to Lukaku's level than Beto is to DCL's level. Beto has yet to score a premier goal, not sure he has actually had a shot or header on target or even a cleanly struck effort yet. It's like saying John Stones and Michael Keane are similar because they can both be a bit shaky defensively.

The disagreement is that DCL is clearly a miles better player. He has 50 premier league goals. He is a proven premier league striker that virtually any team would want in their squad absent his injury record. He's scored a few in international football too. He isn't Lukaku but he's closer to Lukaku's level than Beto is to DCL's level. Beto has yet to score a premier goal, not sure he has actually had a shot or header on target or even a cleanly struck effort yet. It's like saying John Stones and Michael Keane are similar because they can both be a bit shaky defensively.
People are crazy.

DCL is both a player worth 60m and also somebody we could easily replace to some people, its complete madness.

1.5m we paid for him, 7 years ago, in that time we have bought how many Strikers trying to replace him? None still have, but sure, hes dead easy to replace.

People are crazy.

DCL is both a player worth 60m and also somebody we could easily replace to some people, its complete madness.

1.5m we paid for him, 7 years ago, in that time we have bought how many Strikers trying to replace him? None still have, but sure, hes dead easy to replace.
One thing I have come to realise is how much I underrated Louis Saha while he was here. We seem to have been a couple of strikers short for virtually my entire life supporting Everton. I think the best it got in terms of depth was when we had Yakubu, Vaughan and Anchibe.

All of this goes to show you how its far more important to have a great scouting department than any particular player. If they truly are great you cant count on them staying, which means you NEED a conveyor belt of talent to make the most for the huge fees you get for them.

I’ve a deep fear the Vulchers know that we are a financial skip fire and take this absolute gem from us for far less then hes worth.

We’re also stupid enough to do it.

You’d be mad to be another club and not try.