2019/20 Jarrad Branthwaite

Status
Not open for further replies.
For an eighteen year old to play at centre back and put in such a composed performance is nothing short of remarkable.
There would normally be blind panic if we threw a youngster in like that. They would normally only get a go at fullback in a league cup game against league 2 cloggers.
However, he’s a big lad and he comfortably held his own. If he keeps on growing, by 22 he’s going to be like He-man.

Hes doing really well but next season could be a bit of a dilemma.

He could well be good enough for a squad role as 4th choice Centre half. But a loan to the championship could be much more beneficial in the long term. Its a tricky one because he's doing well enough right now to deserve to be involved.

He could well be good enough for a squad role as 4th choice Centre half. But a loan to the championship could be much more beneficial in the long term. Its a tricky one because he's doing well enough right now to deserve to be involved.

Given the injury prone nature of most of our centrebacks I’d think he could be confident of playing a fair amount. Holgate and Mina miss a lot of games between them.

I don't want him to go anywhere, he made some fantastic passes through the middle and really well timed tackles/headers. We should have him playing here whenever possible to develop with our centerhalfs.

Mina, Holgate, Keane, Branthwaite, and potentially Gibson is good enough for me. Let's get some center mids and a right winger.

There was one instance in the second half where he headed a ball and it bounced off closer to Keane and he motioned Keane to get out of his way so he could pass it out to the right hand side. No deferral to the senior pro, total confidence in his own ability. Most kids that come in need to be talked through a game, but don’t think this kid does. Very assured and as already mentioned he is an absolute unit for his age. High hopes for him.

It's a sticky one for next season, Do you leave him on the bench with Holgate and the new CB pairing if we're still getting one, Do you send him out on loan despite him doing pretty comfortable in the past 3 matches?

Some big calls will need to be made.

Himself and Holgate together is an exciting prospect but it would be a very inexperienced pairing so wouldn't expect to see it next season.

Excellent prospect though, he's physically very mature.

Plus he would need to be starting every week too otherwise a loan is pointless.

It is a dilema. Not a bad one to have though

Former Celtic defender Steven Pressley, who managed him at Carlisle

“Jarrad is exactly the type of player they should be looking at. Whatever they pay for him just now, they will make 20 times that down the line. He’s that good.

“He’s got everything you need to be a top defender. He’s six foot four, he’s quick, and he can absolutely play. You wouldn’t know what foot is his preferred one really, because he’s so comfortable on the ball.

“For me, he is a future England internationalist. No question about it. That’s how highly I rate him. He’ll go to the very top of the game.”

Status
Not open for further replies.