January transfer window 2024

….i think it’s a huge risk sending Holgate to a relegation rival. I agree he’s a liability but imagine subsiding the wages of a player who scores a goal on the last day of the season to send us down.

We make some stupid decisions, we can’t blame the old regime if this happens.

You know they’re hungry by meeting them like Moyes did, by doing homework . Talking with them.

Lukaku was our record signing for a year or so then in came bolasie for the same money , siggy for 45m .

I already acknowledged he was a success ..

The question was , from our other big signings , who have been success stories ?

Who have we made money off?

Beacuse siiggy and Richy netted together cost us minus 85m in transfer fees together .
What? We sold Richarlison for a profit.

We are 8 points above Sheff United and have earned 18 more points than them from 22 games I don't really see them as a relegation rival its not like we're sending him to Luton.

What even is this post I don't know where to start. Lukaku was almost twice our previous biggest fee for a start so saying that wasn't a big signing is wrong from the start and then Arteta Baines and Jagielka didn't come from lower leagues and Stones and Branthwaite are totally different types of signings to the 20 mil type you're talking about so not good examples at all. Hungry young players is just such a cringey buzzwordy thing it doesn't even mean anything what are they hungry for and how can you ever know how hungry they are? Loads of the bad signings we've made have looked like they would be young and hungry but then they've failed anyway. I'm obviously not saying we should avoid players from the championship just that it doesn't matter where we're signing them from we just need to find the right players whether its from the championship the premier league or Timbuktu doesn't matter.

The Championship as a league has tonnes of players going to the PL for big fee's and not really achieving much

Sessegnon £27m
Nathan Collins £24m
Nathan Tella £24m
Benrahma £23m
Adam Webster £22m
Oli McBurnie £19m
Keane Lewis Potter £19m
Dan James £20m
Adam Armstrong £17m
Britt Asmbolonga £17m
Alfie Mawson £17m

There are obviously gems in there, but they cost top dollor e.g Alex Scott who Bournemouth bought! Or if Jack Clarke was to leave Sunderland!
There will be players that will just be Championship players though, who will command similar fees....someone like Morgan Whittaker, who would command a similar fee to Clarke, looks great at that level, but is pretty much a 1 trick guy.........that gets found out in the Prem

What? We sold Richarlison for a profit.

10m

We signed a player , he improved a lot during his time here… player fees increased by a hell of a lot more than 10m in the 4 years he was here .

Thats the problem spending big … there isn’t much room to make money.

That’s fine if you’re city , United etc who turn over huge revenues … but we can’t afford the risk .

We are 8 points above Sheff United and have earned 18 more points than them from 22 games I don't really see them as a relegation rival its not like we're sending him to Luton.
Exactly. It’ll probably take another points deduction for them to finish ahead of us and even if they do it’ll likely only be the difference between 19th and 20th.