January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
5 of the 7 players you mention above were signed under Brands. DCL was a youth player who Brands said needed to be given game time so he could succeed. That’s why he had no interest in signing a short term run of the mill striker (even though the fans were slagging him for not signing one).

that’s what he does. Those are his achievements. He’s slowly making the squad better/younger and is getting rid of the rubbish.
Looks like we will need minimum another two or three years to even compete for top six, that despite the quality of everybody apart from the top two being as bad as it's ever been in over 30 years in this division.

I can't believe that it's not possible to shift some of our unwanted players to teams full of even more dross than us like Bournemouth or West Ham or even to the Championship or abroad.

It's entirely possible, it just may not be prudent. Shifting them will largely come down to how much of their current wages we want to continue paying once they're off the books.

Marcel is going to have to answer for some of this sooner rather than later you'd think. He has gotten to the point where he can't just point at the previous guy and blame him now.

He has Ancelotti in the coaching position. A smattering of decent players, and some of the average ones may do better under Ancelotti, but not getting rid off a lot of the deadwood and having a few more decent players in by now is poor. I can't believe that it's not possible to shift some of our unwanted players to teams full of even more dross than us like Bournemouth or West Ham or even to the Championship or abroad.

why would any of those clubs take our dross for the same wages as we're stuck paying them? not gonna happen and if people cant see this they are extremely stupid.

What you on about? There was no plan, just thinking out loud. If the squad has five of his signings amongst our six best players, after two years, maybe we'll have a squad that can compete for Europe within about four years. With the money supposedly available to him, you'd think he could have us competing with Leicester and Wolves somewhat sooner, wouldn't you?
Leicester and Wolves have been building on a coherent plan longer than we have.

Certainly don't adore him myself. But I trust him a heck of a lot more than his predecessor. His general pattern has been to sign players who are young and hungry with something to prove - but with big club and top league and often CL experience. I'm sound with that after Walsh spunked millions on over-hyped players from clubs lower down than us. But he's trying to work that in whilst the legacy of the Walsh era remains. Next summer (2021) is a massive one as several burdens will be out of contract (Sigurdsson, Schneiderlin, Walcott). After that we can really move on from Walsh

Koeman and Walsh take a lot of the blame , as they should, they are not alone in this. There are people at the club at a high level who were also involved in the decisions of signing these players at the time. Two managers have been dismissed since Koeman too.

You are right, it takes time to sort out such a farce , I’m just not overly impressed with what’s gone on since Walsh tbh.

Looks like we will need minimum another two or three years to even compete for top six, that despite the quality of everybody apart from the top two being as bad as it's ever been in over 30 years in this division.
Young players have a short-term memory, and if we were to get into EL by some miracle this year, and another miracle gets us into into CL next year (if Arsenal, Chelsea, Man U don't progress as planned, we could sneak 4th) then top players will start coming to us. Look at Man U and Arsenal - even though they've got a biger history, top players are still choosing Chelsea and Man City, because they are currently and in the last 5 years, much better. So we can take big steps under Ancelotti, and some luck and fast moving progress will really pay off in the long-term. It's a bit like now Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea are there for the taking, and I hope that our club realises that this is the best opportunity for a long time -= as you say the top 6 have not been so average for many years

What you on about? There was no plan, just thinking out loud. If the squad has five of his signings amongst our six best players, after two years, maybe we'll have a squad that can compete for Europe within about four years. With the money supposedly available to him, you'd think he could have us competing with Leicester and Wolves somewhat sooner, wouldn't you?
the money is available,the wages are not

Leicester and Wolves have been building on a coherent plan longer than we have.
On a much, much smaller budget as well, and without a 'superstar' Director of Football or fancy billionaire owner. Bloody the epitome of Everton, that that we are absolutely miles behind Leicester and twiddling our thumbs in mid-table while Champions League is well and truly open for clubs we should comfortably be ahead of. The only saving grace is that now, finally, we have three things in tandem that surely cannot fail us:

1. A rich owner with a vision for the club
2. A Director of Football with a clear strategy
3. An esteemed manager with a long-term plan (Koeman wasn't an esteemed manager, just a player with a rich history)

Best kin start getting better as patience has been lost a long time ago with this club.

I must say that I'm not bummed that we haven't got anyone in, but am disappointed that as yet we haven't managed to get anyone out permanently. Until we do, I fear that we will be very much hamstrung as to how many we can bring in. Would have loved to see a couple of outs to clear the deck for the beginning of the summer transfer window.

The way everybody is talking like the window is already closed.

There are 31 hours left, we could sign 20 players in this timeframe.

It's gonna be a double orgasm of 'keeping' Richarlison and him now being confirmed as £80m+ around Europe, and a stunning last-day signing or two starting tonight with some unexpected rumours. This boost will create momentum that fires us to a memorable victory over Liverpool as well as a top 6 or better finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.